Ball lock wear problem on my old polywog

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Elthom

Ball lock wear problem on my old polywog

Post by Elthom »

I know its a old knife but never thought there would be this problem. You see the slight notch on the blade part around the index finger grip where it rounds of to not be in the way. So its got really sticky/stops and you have to to use alot of more force to open/close when it goes around that point when i use it nowdays instead of beaing smooth like it was for many years.

http://i.imgur.com/dwowgre.jpg" target="_blank

So i guess the ball in the lock mechanism must have been made of a harder steal then the vg10 blade or this would never had happend. Because the ball rotates and if it was made of a slightly softer steal then it would have worn more evanly. Even if it would get to small one day and dont lock up att all that would have taken way longer and it would be smooth until it failed.
mikerestivo

Re: Ball lock wear problem on my old polywog

Post by mikerestivo »

You might have to pardon me for having a slow day mentally but I cannot understand what you are describing, either in your post or via the photo. Would you perhaps be able to post some additional photos, or re-word the issue a different way? I would like to be able to offer some input but just can't without some clarification. Thanks -
Elthom

Post by Elthom »

Slightly better picture but my camera and photo skills sucks.

http://i.imgur.com/2Km39DR.jpg" target="_blank

The ball in has worn down the blade there so that it dosnt open/closes smoothly.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I think that mark is just showing you where the ball travels on the blade tang. I don't think it is a groove but rather the dirt and debris that gets deposited from the ball to the tang. Neither the ball or the tang are perfectly round or radiused which explains why the lark is not exactly straight on the tang (my theory anyway). The ball would accumulate oils from your fingers and then get that impregnated with dirt which is then transferred to the blade tang.

If you use a q-tip and a cleaner, I'm sure you could remove that deposited dirt and restore smoothness.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

mikerestivo wrote:You might have to pardon me for having a slow day mentally but I cannot understand what you are describing, either in your post or via the photo. Would you perhaps be able to post some additional photos, or re-word the issue a different way? I would like to be able to offer some input but just can't without some clarification. Thanks -
It took me a little study to figure out what he was talking about.
Elthom wrote:I know its a old knife but never thought there would be this problem. You see the slight notch on the blade part around the index finger grip where it rounds of to not be in the way. So its got really sticky/stops and you have to to use alot of more force to open/close when it goes around that point when i use it nowdays instead of beaing smooth like it was for many years.

http://i.imgur.com/dwowgre.jpg" target="_blank

So i guess the ball in the lock mechanism must have been made of a harder steal then the vg10 blade or this would never had happend. Because the ball rotates and if it was made of a slightly softer steal then it would have worn more evanly. Even if it would get to small one day and dont lock up att all that would have taken way longer and it would be smooth until it failed.
Like Chris_H said, I doubt that it is actually a groove worn in the blade tang. Mine usually has the same mark, except when I've just cleaned it. I can barely see a polished line where the ball rides when the tang is clean. The roughness can be caused by grit in a number of places, including between the ball and the plunger and inside the spring well. I use a can of Prestone Starting Fluid from the automotive section as a pressurized solvent that leaves no residue behind. It works great for cleaning gunk out of the hard to reach recesses, and it's pretty cheap to use. Just take it outside to use it, since it's highly flammable.

Welcome to the forum!
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Elthom wrote:Slightly better picture but my camera and photo skills sucks.

http://i.imgur.com/2Km39DR.jpg" target="_blank

The ball in has worn down the blade there so that it dosnt open/closes smoothly.
That's a really good picture, actually. Nice work.

I would recommend what Yab and ChrisH have suggested. I don't have anything outside of what either has said that would lend any further help.
Elthom

Post by Elthom »

Cleaning might be the cause of my problem but you can only get to a point with out disassembly. So i Think my guess about wear on the blade part was wrong after looking at it post cleaning.

But it still sticky and now my guess is there is some dirt stuck in the spring so you have to use alot more force to compress it. But i didnt have the screwdrivers/bits to take it apart in my limted toolbox so do you guys know what size and type of screws they used on the polywog?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

T-10 for the pivot and clip screws, T-6 for the others. I've never had mine apart, but given the way the Poliwog appears to be put together, you may only need to remove the pivot screw and the blade to allow the ball and spring to come out.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Elthom

Post by Elthom »

The Deacon wrote:T-10 for the pivot and clip screws, T-6 for the others. I've never had mine apart, but given the way the Poliwog appears to be put together, you may only need to remove the pivot screw and the blade to allow the ball and spring to come out.
Thanks, the measurements i took with my calipers of the screwheads looks about right with those torx sizes. Time to get me a 2 decent sets of torx bits tomorrow and hope i cant put it back together again.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Be advised that it has two coil springs, one inside the other, under the ball. I don't think it has enough travel and force to shoot the ball across the room, but it might.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If there's a jewelry shop in your area that does ultrasonic cleaning for customers, you might consider trying that before disassembling the knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Elthom

Post by Elthom »

Taking it apart and cleaning it was the easy part.
http://i.imgur.com/QrGfByA.jpg" target="_blank

Bit of wear on the centrall ball pin or what you call it.
http://i.imgur.com/6BcfXeP.jpg" target="_blank

Putting it back together was a bit tricky until the trusted duct tape made it easy.
http://i.imgur.com/Mmqx8a7.jpg" target="_blank

Now its smooth again and i really like this little knife.