Spyderco/Farid K2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: Spyderco/Farid K2

Post by Ankerson »

GoldenSpydie wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
GoldenSpydie wrote:I would like to test (and report about) one of these in a bushcraft/woods environment. I understand that this is not what it was designed for, but I am now very curious about this steel, so I would like to see if it is really as "chippy" as everyone says. This is my typical knife testing environment, and I think that it would provide interesting data in addition to that from extended and heavily scientific rope and cardboard cutting.

(BTW, no, I'm not asking for a free one. ;) )

Who is saying it's chippy?

I haven't found it to be chippy from my testing and yeah on wood also....
Cliff said that, and that's where pages of "discussion" came from. I would like to judge it for myself, because it seems that a lot of people say that it isn't.
Well an edge will fail one of 2 ways:

It will chip or it will roll (Deform)

And that's the same for any steel and it all depends on the basics like all the other steels being HT, tempering, geometry and hardness etc.

Impact toughness (shock testing) doesn't really mean much when talking about folders or smaller fixed blades, but has more more meaning when talking about larger blades and swords.

Compression strength and lateral strength are more inline with what really matters here.

And we are talking about a production blade so the edge geometry will be reasonable for general use.

People can make a steel chip if they want to in many different ways:

They can thin the geometry out as much as possible weakening it on purpose and then do something with the the blade they shouldn't be and the steel will give out and chip...

They can stress the steel above what the edge geometry will handle like striking rocks or metals on an angle.

They can cut into something and twist out the edge and on very thin geometry it could fail....

But then those things are true with any steel that has a good HRC hardness up in the higher ranges of what the steels can take.

Having tested knives since the 1970's I have seen different types of failures over the years.

Lately talking about the newer steels the only steel I have seen really chip out was ZDP-189 and that was at very high hardness with very thin geometry, the edge basically fell apart on me and looked like a serrated edge just cutting rope. It was one of those oh well moments and never took ZDP down that thin again...... By contrast I have taken A11 down even thinner and pushed it through knots in wood and had zero damage and both blades were in the same hardness range (64-65).

So in the end how about we try to have a positive attitude about this knife and wait and see what it will really do in testing before we bash it and the steel....
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Got Mine in today. :spyder:

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Wow, a Jim edition knife? That's pretty awesome :D
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Blerv wrote:Wow, a Jim edition knife? That's pretty awesome :D

I figured I has better get the beauty shots out of the way as it's got a lot of work to do here.... :D

Yes, my name on it is an awesome touch.... :)

Jim
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

That Military is just perfect isn't it :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That's a beefy knife! Pretty much exactly what many people have been asking for! Nice work Farid.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Liquid Cobra wrote:That's a beefy knife! Pretty much exactly what many people have been asking for! Nice work Farid.

It's lighter than it looks at 6.2 oz, and it has great balance so it feels like air in hand. :)
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Oh nice comparison pic beside the mili. More blade and less handle is always a winning spec for me :P
Guess you have much rope/cardboard/other to cut tonight!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Laethageal wrote:Oh nice comparison pic beside the mili. More blade and less handle is always a winning spec for me :P
Guess you have much rope/cardboard/other to cut tonight!

Gotta set the bevel to 15 DPS and put my edge on it, then maybe start the rope cutting tonight.... :)

CPM 10V is no joke so i have my work cut out for me...
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

That's certainly cooler than CC numbers! Maybe a new trend / option : )

Jim, can you post a spine shot to see thickness in comparison to Military?

Thanks.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

WorkingEdge wrote:That's certainly cooler than CC numbers! Maybe a new trend / option : )

Jim, can you post a spine shot to see thickness in comparison to Military?

Thanks.

It's the same, but I will take one....
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

Thanks, Jim.

You may need to consider pre-treating yourself with ibuprofen before starting tests!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

WorkingEdge wrote:Thanks, Jim.

You may need to consider pre-treating yourself with ibuprofen before starting tests!

I will take my time. :D
LC Kid

Glorious!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

Ankerson wrote: Image
Geeezus! :D

That grind just looks Glorious! :spyder:
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

That is one large folding knife. Not many folders make the mili look smallish.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Jim, how do you already have one? Excuse me if this has already been discussed
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Strong-Dog wrote:Jim, how do you already have one? Excuse me if this has already been discussed
He and a few other folks are knife testers (with a structured and scientific process). I'm sure Sal wants feedback from a few who are known to shred cutting materials for joy and education alone.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Strong-Dog wrote:Jim, how do you already have one? Excuse me if this has already been discussed

It's pretty much this, Sal wanted us to test it.
sal wrote: So, with Farid's permission, I'm sending a K2 to Mastiff, Jim and Cliff to invite their thoughts. I've carried and used one quite a bit. We think it's a very fine tool and unlike anything we make, but if we can make it better, why not. Rebecca will send them out next week.

sal
Blerv wrote:

He and a few other folks are knife testers (with a structured and scientific process). I'm sure Sal wants feedback from a few who are known to shred cutting materials for joy and education alone.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

The only thing that would make this knife better is contoured scales, like the ones on the Slys (?) Bowie. PLS Sal