Stretch Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HarleyXJGuy

Stretch Question

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Rather then necro an old thread about the new model of Stretch coming out I started this topic to ask a question.

In the old thread Radioactive said this.

"Oh yes, a Stretch that we common folks can customize the scales on! It may not have bolsters, but we can now dream of other cocobolo Stretches"

What I don't understand is what is to stop me from adding cocobolo scales to say mu SB/FRN Stretch? I mean it is put together with screws and has two scales that can be removed right?

Something with the liners?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
paladin

Re: Stretch Question

Post by paladin »

HarleyXJGuy wrote: Something with the liners?
Exactly this.

They are nested...

Most folks would think it would be a fairly straightforward procedure, but if you've ever embarked on such an endeavor-- well it gets quite difficult to do a quality job, YMMV.

It's kinda comparable to when I was a kid and everyone wanted to customize their own stock Mopars into hot rods...

When you try to add/subtract from the manufacturer's specs everything seemed to get pretty clunky and nothing seemed to work as well as it did before the mods... :eek:

Trying to improve and/or change Spyderco's designs and keep the same level of function is a mighty tall order...plus you've voided your warranty, of course...

We've got some guys here with the right tools & pro. level skills who can do a quality job modding their knives...but it ain't me :o
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Yeah I agree with Paladin modding the nested FRN knives is difficult. It can be done, Phillipsted has made some great mods to his knives but I think even he has found it difficult. Hopefully he will chip in and answer your question in more detail, until then you can check out his work here:

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... start=2180
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As the others have said, making scales for a Spyderco midlock with screw construction, full liners, and a metal backspacer is relatively easy, nested liners make it harder and, unless you're ok with keeping the FRN backspacer, so does fabricating a replacement for it.

OTOH, it can be done, I've commissioned a set for an FRN Stretch like the scale on this ZT from the gentleman who did it. It's also possible to omit the liners and either replace just the FRN backspacer or re-use it, especially if you're not interested in mounting a clip.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

The Deacon wrote:

OTOH, it can be done, I've commissioned a set for an FRN Stretch like the scale on this ZT from the gentleman who did it. It's also possible to omit the liners and either replace just the FRN backspacer or re-use it, especially if you're not interested in mounting a clip.
That ZT 0550 looks awesome, your Stretch is going to be a work of art :D
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

The Deacon wrote:As the others have said, making scales for a Spyderco midlock with screw construction, full liners, and a metal backspacer is relatively easy, nested liners make it harder and, unless you're ok with keeping the FRN backspacer, so does fabricating a replacement for it.

So Mr. Deacon I have a couple of questions for you.

First, do you work at Spyderco?

Second, when are you projected to get your Stretch scales back? Would love love love to see a lot of pictures of the finished product.

Third, you say making scales for a FRN knife is easier with no clip. Is that how you are having it done?

Thanks for the information. Looking forward to being able to modify my Superblue Stretch.

HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Sorry for the double post but are the Delica FRN scales built the same way?

Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Sorry for the double post but are the Delica FRN scales built the same way?
Yup my Delica 4 also uses nested liners, I believe the Native and Manix lightweight s110v have pure frn handles and no liners and maybe some of the Salt line. I don't own any of those so I can't tell you for certain.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Thanks for the fast reply.

I was looking at the scale maker website that The Deacon had posed and he had pictures of a Delica with custom scales and a pocket clip.

So there is hope yet for a custom Superblue Stretch, yay!

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

My coffee talk moment for the day!

I'm certainly excited for the new Stretch to come out with the refined ergos, plus the possibility of custom scales atop complete liners. I'm seem to still be partial to desert ironwood, I have spketch from BF setting me up with a set for my Domino and Dice. I think they'll be pretty spectacular! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Ok another follow up question.

The only two options for actual Spyderco pocket clips for a Stretch are the black one that comes with it. Doesn't fit with the knife at all. Or the shiney pocket clip that doesn't quite match the blade?

There isn't a Spyderco or after market clip that matches the blades of these knives any closer?

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:So Mr. Deacon I have a couple of questions for you.

First, do you work at Spyderco?

Second, when are you projected to get your Stretch scales back? Would love love love to see a lot of pictures of the finished product.

Third, you say making scales for a FRN knife is easier with no clip. Is that how you are having it done?

Thanks for the information. Looking forward to being able to modify my Superblue Stretch.
Hi HarleyXJGuy,

No, I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Spyderco.

Not sure, I know it will be at least a month before they're started, plus whatever time it takes to make them, and however long it takes them to get here from LT.

Yes, no provision for a clip and no lanyard hole either. I never use a clip, and I don't see clip screw holes as things of beauty, so having them drilled would be a waste. Plus, allowing for clip mounting on a scale with a corrugated texture would require leaving a flat spot for the clip to mount, as it does on textured FRN scales. That turns what would otherwise be a couple minor blemishes into a real eyesore. As for the lanyard hole, while I occasionally use a fob on a Kiwi, I never use a lanyard or fob on larger folders and don't feel it adds to the looks of the knife, so I can't see any reason to have the scales drilled for one.
HarleyXJGuy wrote:Ok another follow up question.

The only two options for actual Spyderco pocket clips for a Stretch are the black one that comes with it. Doesn't fit with the knife at all. Or the shiney pocket clip that doesn't quite match the blade?

There isn't a Spyderco or after market clip that matches the blades of these knives any closer?
Actually, pretty much all the three hole "hourglass" clips are interchangeable, so the greyish one used on some of the Taichung models, like the Chokwe, would probably work. Or, you could have a black one or a shiny one stone washed or bead blasted.
Paul
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

So you just carry around a large folder like a Millie flopping around in your pocket?

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

In the last few years, the interest in aftermarket mods (especially easy "do it yourself" mods) has skyrocketed, with custom scales available in increasing numbers and variety. Some of the G10 scales available out there look absolutely fantastic; it is easy to see why they are of such interest to consumers. Perhaps it would be a good move for Spyderco to capitalize on this trend by designing for increased ease of customization? This would help further bridge the divide between "factory run" and "custom made" at a time when the trend seems to be for consumers to prefer more personalized experiences and products, and control over design.

Interesting to see that Benchmade is offering a "design your own knife" via its website, with options for special graphics on the blade. Wouldn't it be amazing if this could be available for Spydies?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:So you just carry around a large folder like a Millie flopping around in your pocket?
First off, I never carry any folder that won't fit comfortably across the bottom of my back pocket and, thankfully, I've never been obese enough to have pants with back pockets wide enough for a Military to ride that way. As a result of that I've never been the least bit tempted to carry a Millie and the knives I do carry (Stretch, C83 Schempp Persian, customized Atlantic Salt, etc) don't "flop around" anymore than my wallet "flops around" in my other back pocket.
Paul
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Maybe "flop around" wasn't the best way to put it. Didn't mean it in a negative way.

Do you have any issues with the knife being uncomfortable sitting there?

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Maybe "flop around" wasn't the best way to put it. Didn't mean it in a negative way.

Do you have any issues with the knife being uncomfortable sitting there?
Aside from the day I slipped on an icy sidewalk and landed on it, no, and in spite of being a bit overweight I don't really have any padding back there. If I know I'm going to be driving for a few hours, I make sure to carry one of the thinner versions of the Stretch, or my Chaparral. If I was going to be seated on a hard chair or bench all day, I'd relocate the knife to a front pocket. Last time I can recall having to do that, the year began with 19 and you could still carry a pocketknife while on jury duty.
Paul
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

So Mr. Deacon why don't you like to use pocket clips?

Is it a aesthetic issue or the space it takes away from your front pocket? Or maybe just a I like to keep my knife on the down low situation?

I ask because when I see someone do things differently I wonder if maybe I am missing something.

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Fair question. There are several reasons. For one thing, I've been carrying a pocket knife for a little over 60 years while clothing clips for them have only existed for a little over 30, and I've only been aware of them for a little over 10, so loose pocket carry is what I'm use to doing. For another, in the 10+ years I've been active on the forums, I've read hundreds of posts describing how someone either lost or damaged a knife, or damaged a car, furniture, or their clothing, when their knife's pocket clip snagged on something. I've yet to do any of those things carrying a knife the way I do, so you'll pardon me if I occasionally wonder why anyone would intentionally increase the risk of having them happen. Discretion also enters into it, as I see no need to advertise there's something in my pocket worth stealing. I've also found that having a pocket clip digging into the palm of my hand while cutting is not a sensation I enjoy. Beyond that, while I was once pretty good at quick draw, I've never felt the need to do it with a knife. I have tried clipped carry a few times, mostly when "test driving" a new knife for Sal, but the only knives I ever found the advantages of clipped carry to outweigh the disadvantages are my MT OTF autos.
Paul
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

The Deacon wrote:Fair question. There are several reasons. For one thing, I've been carrying a pocket knife for a little over 60 years while clothing clips for them have only existed for a little over 30, and I've only been aware of them for a little over 10, so loose pocket carry is what I'm use to doing. For another, in the 10+ years I've been active on the forums, I've read hundreds of posts describing how someone either lost or damaged a knife, or damaged a car, furniture, or their clothing, when their knife's pocket clip snagged on something. I've yet to do any of those things carrying a knife the way I do, so you'll pardon me if I occasionally wonder why anyone would intentionally increase the risk of having them happen. Discretion also enters into it, as I see no need to advertise there's something in my pocket worth stealing. I've also found that having a pocket clip digging into the palm of my hand while cutting is not a sensation I enjoy. Beyond that, while I was once pretty good at quick draw, I've never felt the need to do it with a knife. I have tried clipped carry a few times, mostly when "test driving" a new knife for Sal, but the only knives I ever found the advantages of clipped carry to outweigh the disadvantages are my MT OTF autos.
Well said.

Once my Stretch gets here I am going to give the whole no clip thing a go. If nothing else it will remind me of my childhood and trusty swiss army knife. In the end I think it will fall into the old dog new tricks category.