The future of the Gayle Bradley Air

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FDE

The future of the Gayle Bradley Air

Post by FDE »

I read somewhere (can't find it again) that prior to the Gayle Bradley Air going into production it was polled on wether or not to put a wire pocket clip on it. Allegedly the poll was right at 50/50 and the decision was made for no clip. So now I ask, is there any chance that we could get a run of these with pocket clips installed? I LOVE this knife but I don't carry it enough because its lacking a clip. I'd argue a wire clip offers the best of both worlds, giving the option of clip while not having multiple screw holes if removed and carried without. Just a thought.

~Nick
SpyderNut

Re: The future of the Gayle Bradley Air

Post by SpyderNut »

You make a good point. I would personally endorse the addition of a pocket clip (wire or standard) to the Air. I'm not sure whether this will ever become a production reality for the Air, but then again, the new Kiwi features a pocket clip ostensibly due to consumer request.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

The lack of clip is the main reason I sold mine. A Bradley Air with wire clip would find its way into my pocket for sure.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I agree, i would much prefer it if it had a clip as well... the detent if too week to make me feel comfortable when it is free in the pocket
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The lack of a clip is the one single thing that's held me back from buying one.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

The only thing that kept me from buying one is the steel since I live 8 blocks from the Pacific. Strange steel choice, IMO, for a knife that's supposed to be in your pocket all the time. Beautiful lines, though.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Molle Ninja wrote:The only thing that kept me from buying one is the steel since I live 8 blocks from the Pacific. Strange steel choice, IMO, for a knife that's supposed to be in your pocket all the time. Beautiful lines, though.
The steel is one of the biggest selling points for me haha :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The lack of a clip has kept me from buying one. I'd definitely be into a version with a clip.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Molle Ninja wrote:The only thing that kept me from buying one is the steel since I live 8 blocks from the Pacific. Strange steel choice, IMO, for a knife that's supposed to be in your pocket all the time. Beautiful lines, though.
M4 isn't supposed to be in your pocket? :confused: :confused: :confused:
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

For me, no clip means it should have a lanyard hole. No lanyard hole and no clip has kept me from at the very least getting one for my dad.
hom76

Post by hom76 »

Air + clip = perfect edc knife for me
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Strong-Dog wrote:
Salt air + sweat + CPM M4 = Rust stains in your pocket from the blade.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have thought about getting one and carrying it in my watch pocket but without a clip I am too worried about losing it and it isn't cheap. A clip and I would have bought one by now.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

yablanowitz wrote:
Strong-Dog wrote:
Exactly!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I have thought about getting one and carrying it in my watch pocket but without a clip I am too worried about losing it and it isn't cheap. A clip and I would have bought one by now.
I love my Air, but the lack of clip does prevent me from carrying it more. When I do carry it, the watchpocket on some of my jeans is the only acceptable place for me. I have been wanting to do the custom wire clip like kbuzbee did to his.

Thread http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 76#p855076
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

Let us not forget that people have been asking for a clip less kopa for a long time and then when the air comes out everybody wants a clip on it. They do need to make at least one clip less gentleman's folder for the people who want that.
bearfacedkiller

Yeah, that clip mod is sweet and can't be too difficult. Every time I see that pic I think about trying it.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

As much as I like the wire clip I feel the Air calls more for a sculpted solid clip like on the CRK Mnandi or like the one that was on the original Jess Horn.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?tit ... _right.jpg" target="_blank

It would need to be reworked at the top end to fit around/beside the screw on the Air but if you did it out of Ti it could offer a spot for aesthetic variation with different finishes and/or anodized colors done by the customer themselves or an aftermarket customizer.
~ Nate
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

jujigatame wrote:As much as I like the wire clip I feel the Air calls more for a sculpted solid clip like on the CRK Mnandi or like the one that was on the original Jess Horn.
I also like this idea. I wish Spyderco had a few of these sculpted type clips on some of it's designs. Obviously it would affect cost to the EU, and though I find that increase acceptable, I am sure many would not want to pony up the cash for the difference.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

yablanowitz wrote:
Strong-Dog wrote:
How would adding a clip change that? Maybe I misunderstood your first post and took it in the context of the original post
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill