I wish the Endura was US made.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Waco

I wish the Endura was US made.

Post by Waco »

I'm kinda hung up on buying US made stuff when I can. But, I've reached the conclusion that my Endura is the perfect knife for my use. I like my Millie, but it's a bit large for EDC. I tried a PM, but the lock was clumsy for left-hand operation. My Native 5 was too stubby. I haven't tried a Manix 2, but the cutting edge is only 1/8" longer. The XL version looks huge.
HotSoup

Re: I wish the Endura was US made.

Post by HotSoup »

Waco wrote:I like my Millie, but it's a bit large for EDC.
I carried one every day for nearly 5 years straight. Love it!
Waco

Post by Waco »

HotSoup wrote:
Waco wrote:I like my Millie, but it's a bit large for EDC.
I carried one every day for nearly 5 years straight. Love it!
I carry mine to work sometimes. Depending on which pants I'm wearing, I either forget it's in my pocket or end up putting it in a drawer after it gets uncomfortable.
's
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've had Enduras with me since 92. It won't stop me from enjoying the use of other knives but I just don't feel right unless it's nearby. The current FFG VG10 Endura is a very complete and balanced tool that gives a lot of life for it's cost.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It might be manufactured in Japan, but it's made for a US company and at least part of the selling price goes to that US company, so you're still supporting a US company. It may not be ideal but you're money is helping to keep the lights on in Golden.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would prefer it if everything I bought came from the US and I do my very best but in the end that just isn't the world we live in anymore.

The Japanese have some amazing steels and you have to buy knives made in Japan to experience those steels. They have a long history of being very good at sharp things in Japan. I would not buy it if it was made in china or a few other places but Japan is not those places.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thankfully, I have no problem buying Spydercos that are made overseas, since there's only one midlock made here. OTOH, there are times I wish the Stretch was made either in Golden or Taichung so that a Damasteel version would become a possibility.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I love the Endura, but think you should give the Manix a try!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
endgame

Post by endgame »

to tell you the truth I can care less.people in japan need to feed there families just like people in America.I dont discriminate on who gets my money.I dont find one man more impethen the other.I dont care about government.buy what mskes you happy.also the spyderco's overseas have better fit and finush than most of my golden.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Isn't there a larger version of the Native being discussed as a possibility? Was it the Shaman?

I don't know if it would be made in the US or not, but since the Native is US made, and they are expanding the facilities in Golden, maybe there is a chance the Shaman would work for you.

I understand liking the larger blade. I happen to have a Super Blue Delica in my pocket today, but I also have an M390/CF Military in my back pocket, and a Caly 3.5 IWB :).

The Endura sure offers a lot of value for the money.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The Mastiff wrote:I've had Enduras with me since 92. It won't stop me from enjoying the use of other knives but I just don't feel right unless it's nearby. The current FFG VG10 Endura is a very complete and balanced tool that gives a lot of life for it's cost.
I'm with you 100%, Mastiff. I've been using Enduras/Delicas since the early early 1990s as well. Pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar, there isn't a better knife out there.

TedP
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I have my 3 Endura coming today. (Gave the first two away to friends because they had not idea what a good knife was). I can't wait. Haven't held one in almost a year.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Models switching places of manufacturing has happened but it's rare. The best thing to hope for is a similar model but with a Golden touch. Something like a "Paramilitary Slim" which seems very possible using the Compression Lock.

If it makes you feel any better, companies like G. Sakai and Moki helped get Spyderco off the ground way back in the day. It was a perfect marriage of high standards that enabled the company to expand and perfect their own domestic knife production.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Waco wrote:I'm kinda hung up on buying US made stuff when I can. But, I've reached the conclusion that my Endura is the perfect knife for my use. I like my Millie, but it's a bit large for EDC. I tried a PM, but the lock was clumsy for left-hand operation. My Native 5 was too stubby. I haven't tried a Manix 2, but the cutting edge is only 1/8" longer. The XL version looks huge.
Well Brother I give you a "high five" and a "thumbs up!!" all the way referring to USA made Spyders. Although I will admit I use my Japan made Spyders just about as much as I do my USA made units. One of my near perfect EDC Spyderco folders has been my Sprint, G-10 handled Massad Ayoob, C-60 model. I would love it if they would make a USA made rendition of it. Maybe an Ayoob model with a Micarta handle similar to the one that they made the C-44 Dyad with and a blade made of one of the USA Supersteels like S90V, S3V or even XHP for that matter>> that would be one of my USA made dream folders.

I also wish that they would make more Spyderco fixed blades here in the USA as well. They had an older USA made model that I would love to see a Sprint version of >> that being the C-50 Centofante model or even it's brother the C-25. Both of them would be super for EDC use IMO.

Be patient because you and I aren't the only Spyder Brethren desiring a USA made super EDC>> it will come to pass and I do hope it's one of the older Sprints with a new handle material and a supersteel blade. Give it time it will come to pass with persistence.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I could absolutely care less where a knife is made, that has zero part in determining if I buy it. I mean, Taichung makes the highest quality Spydercos at the moment, so it always intrigues me that some people still want to buy a knife made in 'Murica at all costs even disregarding other knives because of it.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Can totally understand the sentiment to buy the US-made stuff. For me, as long they're made on Earth, I'm game.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I would prefer it if everything I bought came from the US and I do my very best but in the end that just isn't the world we live in anymore.
+1
Sad truth. I am following the same rule, when I have a choice. Still I have no problem to buy good, which came from friendly nations. Japan is one of them. I love my Japanese and Italian made Spydies. And if you thinking about Endura, take a looks at Caly3.5.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Looking at SFO's list of knives by Country of Origin, I think the only country I don't have a Spyderco knife from is Hong Kong, but I guess that's OK because I do have several of the Spyderco "bug" flash drives which were made in Hong Kong, and the only actual knife they list as from Hong Kong is the D'Allara.

From Italy, I have the Squeak, Forager and Forester. Other countries, it starts to be too many to list :).

I was surprised to see that the ceramic rods for the SharpMaker are made in the US, but the diamond and CBN rods for it are made in China. I don't have any problem with that, I like mine, just didn't where the individual rods were made.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think the reason I'm confident in the knives Spyderco has made in other countries is, I don't feel they pick the lowest bidder to make those knives, they go with reliable makers who are going to meet a minimum expectation of quality standards and fit and finish. I also feel (from experience) that this minimum requirement is much higher than some other companies maximum requirement.
sal

Post by sal »

rodloos wrote: and the only actual knife they list as from Hong Kong is the D'Allara.
The D'Allara was made in Japan. The WTC version was made in the US.

sal