How many of you own a Hungarian?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HotSoup

How many of you own a Hungarian?

Post by HotSoup »

Was this model a flop for Spyderco?

Its truly a beautiful knife. I can see why some people wouldn't like it.

I bought one on a whim because it just called to me. Carry it every once in a while. Used it for some food prep. Everyone who sees it is quite impressed by it. The CTS-XHP blade has a really nice profile. Cuts very nicely.

My only qualm with it, is that while its a great knife, I just dont see it competing at its price point with so many other things on the market -- especially because of its styling which seems a little passe.

If you have the money, and you like it, get it. Its really slick!
Attachments
20140522_113248.jpg
gbelleh

Re: How many of you own a Hungarian?

Post by gbelleh »

I like mine a lot. Its distinctive fejesgörbe styling is what makes it special and unique. I actually don't carry mine much because it's a bit difficult to unlock with one hand, plus I don't really want to scratch up the polished bolsters. But it sees light use in my office. It's an interesting addition to the ethnic series, and has really expanded my knowledge and appreciation of Hungarian knife design.

:bug-red-white
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

The Hungarian is definitely underestimated, I like mine as much as my bolstered Persians and that's quite a lot.
To my taste the Hungarian belongs to my personal Top Ten Spydercos of all times but ymmv.

PSquared

Post by PSquared »

gbelleh wrote:I actually don't carry mine much because it's a bit difficult to unlock with one hand
This. I've got one, great ergos and I really like the blade shape but because it isn't the easiest knife to close, I tend not to carry it. I fidget with my knives and the "concealed" liner lock doesn't work for me. I prefer cut outs in the scale opposite the liner for easier disengagement. Maybe not as pretty but a lot more practical.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Had one and sold it. I really liked it but it was too slick for me. If it was bolsterless, and peel ply CF it would be a keeper :D it really is a nice design!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Agreed with the Hungarian being difficult to unlock. Despite that, it is a fantastic design. I really like mine, but it regrettably doesn't see as much pocket time as I would like. Same for my Phoenix.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I actually really disliked the Phoenix. The cutting edge was just too small :(
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I picked up one a while back, inspired by MarcusH's pictures. I absolutely love it. Beautiful, very effective blade shape. Factory edge was just kind of ok but it was easy to put a new one on with the Edge Pro (my first experience with CTS-XHP). Really nice and smooth now that it's broken in.

No issue with disengaging the lock for me, though that might be because I'm using it left-handed?

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Hungarian, imo is a beautiful knife.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I do not own one, but I have always liked it. The Hungarian is one of those that I never could quite pull the trigger on, kinda like the Ulize. I feel like they wouldn't get the pocket time to justify buying them. So, I continue to live vicariously through the pictures of forum members!
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Blade profile looks amazing, handle not so much. It looks like it would be very uncomfortable to choke up on, it you even can due to lack of gimping and weird guard.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Strong-Dog wrote:Blade profile looks amazing, handle not so much. It looks like it would be very uncomfortable to choke up on, it you even can due to lack of gimping and weird guard.
Yeah, if youre looking for pure ergonomics, this is not the knife. Like I mentioned earlier, it has a dated handle shape. I havent found it to be uncomfortable though, but I also have only done small cutting tasks with it. Dont intend to thump on it!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I was thinking about buying this knife with intention of replacing my C83 Persian for every day carry. The knife carried and used for more than 8 years and deserve retirement. But after reading everything, what was written about Hungarian on this Forum, I decided that this knife has no chances to beat Persian in my book. No problem with ergos, disengaging the lock and even with tons of scratches Persian looks great. I love VG10 as well. It takes very nice edge.
Sorry, if I disappointed Hungarian fans.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I think you're on the right track, Roman. It will be difficult to find a knife to take the place of that Persian. :) You know, the only other thing that bothers me about the Hungarian is the bolster. Although it is beautifully finished, I wish the spine side of the bolster didn't extend so high. It would be much more comfortable, IMHO, if the bolster was ground more in line with the contour of the blade and handle.
Last edited by SpyderNut on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If it didn't have the ubiquitous liner lock, I'd probably have one.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:I think you're on the right track, Roman. It will be difficult to find a knife to take the place of that Persian. :) You know, the only other thing that bothers me about the Persian is the bolster. Although it is beautifully finished, I wish the spine side of the bolster didn't extend so high. It would be much more comfortable, IMHO, if the bolster was ground more in line with the contour of the blade and handle.
I do not know. Not even once it bothered me or made uncomfortable during daily use during 8 years, but everybody has different hands. May be mine were made to fit Persian :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:I think you're on the right track, Roman. It will be difficult to find a knife to take the place of that Persian. :) You know, the only other thing that bothers me about the Persian is the bolster. Although it is beautifully finished, I wish the spine side of the bolster didn't extend so high. It would be much more comfortable, IMHO, if the bolster was ground more in line with the contour of the blade and handle.
I do not know. Not even once it bothered me or made uncomfortable during daily use during 8 years, but everybody has different hands. May be mine were made to fit Persian :)
Oh dear... I was a little confused by your post until I realized I made a terrible boo-boo. I meant to say that I didn't care too much for the bolster on the *Hungarian*--not the Persian. :o :o Sorry for the confusion, Roman. Mea culpa. :o
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, I almost went to get my Persian to see what the heck you were talking about. :)

I get the dislike of the bolster shape, but the design is meant to closely follow the lines of the original. That's the reason for the bolster shape and the recessed liner lock, to keep it as close to original as possible.

:bug-red-white
bh49

Post by bh49 »

gbelleh wrote:Yeah, I almost went to get my Persian to see what the heck you were talking about. :)
Just wondering, why it wasn't in your pocket? :)
gbelleh wrote: I get the dislike of the bolster shape, but the design is meant to closely follow the lines of the original. That's the reason for the bolster shape and the recessed liner lock, to keep it as close to original as possible.
I understand whole idea of resemblance with original, still this is not a good reason for me to create a lock, which giving difficulties to disengage. This is a main reason, why I stopped carrying Navaja just after one week. Why should I carry a knife and having difficulties to disengage the lock, when there are plenty of great knives without this problem.
BTW, I like the blade shape on original more than Spyderco version. It is very attractive for me. May be Hungarian2 with the blade of original and improved lock?
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

I got one, too. It's great!
Not a Spyderco, though. ;)

Ookami