Keeping down the numbers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Keeping down the numbers

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Evil D wrote:Do duplicates count?

It just occurred to me that I now own 3 Yojimbo 2's lol.
You're safe there, David. Triplicates aren't duplicates.

Sure they are, if two is one and one is none then three must be two and therefore duplicates :D
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

4 8 15 16 23 42
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
Evil D wrote:Do duplicates count?

It just occurred to me that I now own 3 Yojimbo 2's lol.
You're safe there, David. Triplicates aren't duplicates.

Sure they are, if two is one and one is none then three must be two and therefore duplicates :D
Ah, now you're talking availability. That's a slippery slope for the likes of us. Imagine what "five nines availability" would mean to our acquisitiveness. We wouldn't feel guilt for having too many. We'd feel anxiety for not having enough...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
djjinksy

Post by djjinksy »

My first foray into knife collecting was with Protech prototypes. I ended up with several, and then sold all but one of them. Then the spyder bit me with an all black plain edge Embassy, and I haven't looked back. I "only" have 13 right now, and I have never sold, nor do I have plans to sell any of them. I admit I do have some that I've never carried... or even really taken out of the boxes. Not because they aren't great pieces, but because my PM2 and stainless Delica seem to fit all of my EDC needs. I have a Native 5 and a Manix 2 (amongst others) that have never seen pocket lint or sunshine. They will one day though... I don't have safe queens, I just haven't needed them yet. The only dupes I have are Dragonflies, and I suppose they aren't really dupes since I have one of each (ss, vg10, superblue, h1, zdp).

Although I haven't sold any Spydies, I have given away several so as to start other collections. I'm like a Spyderco drug dealer lol... first one is free, then you have to pay for the rest.

Despite my need or lack of need, I have a short list that will be purchased in the coming weeks, including a Swick4, Police 3, Military, and I've promised Sal I'll get the next Mule even if it is tin foil covered cardboard.

Long term, I'd like to get a Serrata, an S90V Millie, an M390 PM2, and a ZDP Caly 3 or 3.5, just because all of them look like fun!
-Steve
Embassy, Para2, Delica 4 SS, Dragonfly SS/ZDP/Superblue/H1, Native 5 G10, Manix 2 G10, Rescue 79, Swick3, Mule19
Waco

Post by Waco »

I'm down to 3 Spydies in my rotation: an FRN FFG Endura 4, a G10 Endura, and a Millie. I've tried smaller Spydercos, but they always drop out of the rotation sooner or later. If I want to use a blade less than 3" long, I usually have a Leatherman Rebar on my belt. :)
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I've let go of a few, but most of the Spydercos I've bought are still with me...and all are users. I'm up to 37 now with plans for a few more to be sure. I always have choice as to what model will best suit what I'm doing for the day, and if I don't have time to sharpen when I get home I have a few backup options for the next couple days. I also tend to rotate in a different one or two when I go out after work because I prefer a more robust folder when I'm working than I do when I'm going out for drinks etc. They do still all see pocket time (I didn't think I'd be able to give pocket time to this many folders when I started expanding my collection but I know I can use more and they'll still see pocket time). I also use a few of my Spydercos in the kitchen periodically, the longer folders typically but most often my Serrata which performs exceptionally well for such a thick bladed knife. It's not the best vegetable knife, but for slicing meat it's superb.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Waco

Post by Waco »

I have 9 knives in my rotation, counting other brands. That seems like plenty to me. I guess I'm not much of a collector.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I try to keep it to a minimum. I currently have somewhere between 25-30 Spydies. I'm trying to sell a majority of them now. I'm a minimalist at heart and would like to thin the herd.....
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I believe with any approach as long as we are responsible with our money.
I never collected anything in my life until I bought my first Kopa. For years I was carrying the same SAK. When I get into modern knives I carried all until I got Kopa Cocobolo. It was too beautiful and too expensive (per my standards at that time) to use. But it gave me an idea of collecting entire set. It was the end of 2005, so only two Kopas were made. But I collected entire set. Later I hated this idea because there were couple pieces, which I didn't like, but desire to have full set won (temporary). Later I bought second Kopa Cocobolo to use. My first non-Kopa "safe queen" was Forum Adventura. i already had regular Adventura in my pocket. With time my collection or accumulation was grown to about 80 pieces. There were many knives, which I really love and some, which I bought under The Forum influence, and some, which I used to love, but not anymore. So a little while ago, was I was in the need of money I sold about 25-30 knifes, half of the Kopas among them. But I keep only ones, which I really care. I am buying much less knives now, most of them are Golden made and with potential to use, but I couldn't resist to buy a Worker and really thinking about getting Lum Tanto fixed blade.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Do I try to limit the number of incoming Spydies?

No sir. :)

I embrace the madness that is knife collecting. Just remember to purchase wisely. It never does any good to goad your wife/GF/SO into making you sleep in the doghouse over a knife purchase. ;)
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

bh49 wrote:I believe with any approach as long as we are responsible with our money.
I never collected anything in my life until I bought my first Kopa. For years I was carrying the same SAK. When I get into modern knives I carried all until I got Kopa Cocobolo. It was too beautiful and too expensive (per my standards at that time) to use. But it gave me an idea of collecting entire set. It was the end of 2005, so only two Kopas were made. But I collected entire set. Later I hated this idea because there were couple pieces, which I didn't like, but desire to have full set won (temporary). Later I bought second Kopa Cocobolo to use. My first non-Kopa "safe queen" was Forum Adventura. i already had regular Adventura in my pocket. With time my collection or accumulation was grown to about 80 pieces. There were many knives, which I really love and some, which I bought under The Forum influence, and some, which I used to love, but not anymore. So a little while ago, was I was in the need of money I sold about 25-30 knifes, half of the Kopas among them. But I keep only ones, which I really care. I am buying much less knives now, most of them are Golden made and with potential to use, but I couldn't resist to buy a Worker and really thinking about getting Lum Tanto fixed blade.
Now this is pretty similar to me only my "collection" was on a much smaller scale.
I can't rule out possibilities for the future though! :D
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

SpyderNut wrote: Just remember to purchase wisely. It never does any good to goad your wife/GF/SO into making you sleep in the doghouse over a knife purchase. ;)
Aarghh! :mad: You tell that NOW. Where were you when I needed this information ? :mad:
O.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've been buying, using, collecting, modding, and enjoying Spyderco knives for over 25 years. Do I have more of their knives than I use regularly? Sure! Do I enjoy the ones that I have? You betcha!

TedP
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I am up to about 80 spydies now so haven't done a particularily good job of keeping the numbers down. I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them and found that I would rather give one away then go through the hassle of selling them. Some I will never part with as they are gifts or have some sentimental value to me.
I have found that as my numbers increased it has become harder to justify additional purchases. Part of this is that I am becoming much more specific as to what I like in knives and the other part is I have enough "equivalent" blades so can't justify the lack of diversity. Something has to really pique my interest before I think of purchasing, where as I used to much quicker to pull the trigger.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I bought only two Spydercos last year and none this year. The quest for the perfect knife took me through several hundred and now I'm down to two dozen Spyderco and custom perfect knives:
Rock Salt
Hossom Forager
Temperence 2
Spalted Maple UK Bushcraft
Caspian Salt
Jose Diaz competition knife
52100 Mule
M4 Mule
Cruwear Mule
Custom O-1 recurve Bowie
Custom 440-C skinner
Custom damascus skinner
Custom damascus 8mm thick bushcraft
Custom 2 blade slipit
Ti Military PE
Military CE
Military SE
Kreined Barong
Big micarta Persian
Chokwe
XHP Manix
ZPD189 CF Stretch
Super Blue Caly 3.5
204P Paramilitary
Southard
Lil' Temp
Sage 1
PPT
2013 Forum Native
CF Kiwi
G10 Dragonfly
and some others I'm not thinking of or intend to sell
edit - make that three dozen
Last edited by Sequimite on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

O,just,O wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: Just remember to purchase wisely. It never does any good to goad your wife/GF/SO into making you sleep in the doghouse over a knife purchase. ;)
Aarghh! :mad: You tell that NOW. Where were you when I needed this information ? :mad:
O.
Haha! Sorry about that, mate. I learned that the hard way too. ;)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My sigline declares most of the models that now matter most to me. Apart from keeping up with the Sage series, discovering new steels, preferably in my preferred models, has pretty much determined (and slowed) my acquisitions. I'm content to wait for K390, 3V, Maxamet and the like.

I will eventually shed my Southard and PE Pacific Salt. The Southard is a great knife with an amazing edge-to-handle ratio, but I now have 204P in a Para2, which is the more comfortable and elegant to me. The PE Salt is also great (and a good intro to the Endura that I do not have, or now want), but I just got an SE Atlantic Salt, whose H1 the gurus here have persuaded me holds a razor edge much longer in a Spyderedge (and I've gotten my first sheepsfoot in the bargain). If I could just convince my wife to exchange her H1 DF2 plain-edge for a Spyderedge...

All in all, I'm trying to keep my Spydies under two dozen, which is already testing my wife's good nature... Besides, I do have old-school fixed-blades to acquire, particularly ones once made by Blind Horse Knives and now made by one of its former partners, L.T. Wright Handcrafted Knives.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I started just wanting one nice pocket knife that would hold an edge really well. I ended up with 25-30 knives after a couple of years. I then sold or traded ones I found myself never carrying. I used this to try other knives. After going on 6 years now I've "whittled" (get it??? :)) my "set" of knives down to what I carry only. I'd love to have a bunch on display but I needed the money or trade factor to fund more knives to try. I still get a knife every once in a while now but I now know what I like and have a better idea of how much I'd use a knife I'm considering. While I love 90% of the knives I've traded or sold I just hate them laying around not getting used. It has cost me quite a bit but I now have a small set of knives that all get used at least a little. I think I have between 10 and 15 pocket knives. That doesn't sound like a lot right now but I also remember that for most of my life I seldom had two pocket knives at a time. Normally I had and used one pocket knife. I'd get another one when I lost or broke one or sometimes on a whim I'd get a new one. But after I bought a new one the other one soon was missing. I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO HAVE A POCKET KNIFE. This has always been a given. But to have more than one was something I don't remember considering. :) Now I carry 2-5 knives at a time for different uses. Everyone knows you need one knife to cut an apple and another to cut a banana. :)

Jack
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Because I use every knife I own, ones that aren't a good fit for me get sold. These are my knives that fall into rotation depending on the expected tasks of the day...there are a couple in danger of being let go as I rarely use them. Getting a Techno soon so that may upset the balance further...
Attachments
spy3.jpg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
BuffaloBill

Post by BuffaloBill »

I have quite a few knives that sit in boxes. I did carry them all at one time or another, but ever since i got the XHP Orange PM2 and the black PM2 thats just about all i carry anymore.

stuff that doesnt get much pocket time or any at all:
orange delica (with swapped zdp blade), orange UKPK, foliage green UKPK, CF UKPK, black ukpk, orange manix 2, CF kopa, CF walker ZDP, ZDP endura, CF Caly 3, and CF caly 3.5

and I kinda want to get a Digi Cam PM2