Capitol presence?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mark jeneson

Capitol presence?

Post by mark jeneson »

Apparently a man jumped the White House fence and entered the West Wing carrying a knife on Friday. Why was it appropriate to name the maker and model? Is that standard protocol? What do members make of the situation?
paladin

Re: Capitol presence?

Post by paladin »

Nope, I think it was a bad turn...

And I hope it doesn't give Spyderco a black eye...

the Secret Service would probably been better advised to publicize the brand of his sneakers, being how he was so stealthy, fast, & agile
Last edited by paladin on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

In the same article I read that he was carrying a dangerous knife and unarmed. Which is it? Lol.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Didn't see a model named, just that it was a 3.5" VG-10 Spyderco with a serrated blade. Perhaps the Secret Service agent who gave CNN that info was jealous of BHO's Native 5, or at least aware of Spyderco because of it. ;) In any event, that detailed a description of a weapon is definitely less common for knives than for firearms.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The ultimate decision to post a brand name etc... is made in the newsroom. And in my experience in working with the media, it always helps sell the story if they can add a label to any part of the story. Including the brand name/serrations/steeltype (although they probably didn't realise that's what it was) creates an air of mystery about it, it makes the knife sound more ominous. The same way they (try to) include brand names and model descriptions of firearms in news reports.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Hope this *** hasnt raised flags at the border with a yo2 cf on the way. This hole thing sounds like a device to villianize knives the way they do sharks (watch sharkwater and be amazed)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

He had a what??? A VG-10 serrated Spider knife! Oh yeah, I remember reading an article about those. They can pass right through metal detectors (thank goodness they have those x-ray scanners nowadays so these VG-10 knives and Glock 7s can't get through)! And who the heck needs a 3 1/2" knife anyway? And I heard those serrations are designed to cut right through bullet proof vests! What's wrong with this country that we let people have things like this!??!!
:bug-red-white