Sharpening a Paramilitary 2 Tip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flyfishingbamboo

Sharpening a Paramilitary 2 Tip

Post by flyfishingbamboo »

Does anyone out there have Advice on sharpening a paramilitary 2 tip? Is the sharpmaker the way to go as I plan to invest in one?.
I hit the tip of my blade on tempered glass and it didn't break the tip but it did dull it enough to annoy the heck out of me.
Thanks, Flyfishingbamboo
Liquid Cobra

Re: Sharpening a Paramilitary 2 Tip

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Surfinggringo did up a nice thread on how to mod/regain the tip. I used this method on a PM2, Urban and Starmate. Good luck!

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=63261" target="_blank
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it just needs sharpened, go ahead and just sharpen the entire blade until the dull spot is sharp. I've never been a fan of trying to sharpen particular spots on edges, you can end up with a funky shaped belly if you're not super careful. Most sane people will tell you to just use the knife and get your use out of the rest of the edge and once the whole thing is dull, sharpen the whole edge as needed...but then we aren't really sane people around here.
flyfishingbamboo

Liquid Cobra wrote:Surfinggringo did up a nice thread on how to mod/regain the tip. I used this method on a PM2, Urban and Starmate. Good luck!

Thanks Liquid Cobra I will check it out!!
flyfishingbamboo

Evil D wrote:If it just needs sharpened, go ahead and just sharpen the entire blade until the dull spot is sharp. I've never been a fan of trying to sharpen particular spots on edges, you can end up with a funky shaped belly if you're not super careful. Most sane people will tell you to just use the knife and get your use out of the rest of the edge and once the whole thing is dull, sharpen the whole edge as needed...but then we aren't really sane people around here.
Evil D--you are the man. I hear you I guess I should wear the entire blade down them just take over the hill to Spyderco and have them sharpen the entire thing for me and it will take care of it. I'm just a freak with OCD as it's not really an issue. Thanks again!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Take this as your chance to use it hard and not worry about damaging the edge too much since you know the whole thing will need a good sharpening.
flyfishingbamboo

Evil D wrote:Take this as your chance to use it hard and not worry about damaging the edge too much since you know the whole thing will need a good sharpening.
Oh yea I'll get it out to the woods and get my money's worth!
flyfishingbamboo

Liquid Cobra wrote:Surfinggringo did up a nice thread on how to mod/regain the tip. I used this method on a PM2, Urban and Starmate. Good luck!

That was a great tip and thanks for the link Liquid Cobra!