Forced to use the other hand?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Forced to use the other hand?

Post by gull wing »

Have you ever been in a situation where you had to use the non-useful hand?
I have Right hand and forearm pain and am wearing a brace. Still I want to carry a knife, out comes my Calys, switch the clip, good to go. I'm thankful I have these, because I don't have many lockbacks(which can go both ways) and a framelock is not fun to use by the left hand.(hats off to Lefties) :)

I'm carrying my Caly 3.5 right now and feeling pretty good.

Image[/url]
Image[/url]
Last edited by gull wing on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tvenuto

Re: Forced to use the other hand?

Post by tvenuto »

I had a biceps tenodesis done about a year ago and I was forced to be in a sling for one month. I actually found brushing my teeth to be the hardest thing to do with my off hand, I even managed to use chopsticks one time. I just kept a small fixed blade (mule team, Aqua salt) handy in all the places I might find myself needing a knife and I was fine. I'd agree that the lockbacks would be my go to for a folder. Actually, now that I have the Sage 3 I'd probably opt for that.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I find my PM2 works quite well in my left hand. I use my thumb to press the comp' lock and give it a swing to close the blade.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hey gull, sorry to hear about the arm and hand pain. I had surgery on my right hand many years ago and was more or less forced to go south paw for a few months. It stinks, I know. :( Hope you heal up quickly.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I broke my elbow and had to have my arm immobilized. It will take some getting used to, but using the non-dominant hand does become easier.

I find that I like liner locks the best in that situation.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can get by rather well with frame/liner locks in my left hand. I was told by a physical therapist once that I was likely born left handed and raised as a righty. I can't write or throw or bat worth a crap left handed but I have more strength in my left hand than my right. Personally I think that's due to less hand injuries than my right has received. This is also why I prefer the CBBL over most other locks since it's ambi.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Several times. After my last surgery to my right shoulder I couldn't use it until it healed up and I PT'ed it back to work. The things that annoyed me the most were things like having to drive my 5 speed, hold the wheel with my knee while reaching over to shift with my left hand. Unfortunately I'm facing that same operation sooner than anticipated. I need many surgeries, but the right shoulder is failing again quickly. They trim the clavicle bone, and resurface the rotator cup amongst other stuff. I've had over an inch taken off each end of the clavicle and need another go on the right side.

I also need neck, lumbar spine, l&rknee, left ankle and eventually l hip. :) 4 down so far, these to go. Unfortunately I have no way to do stuff after surgery except what I can do by myself. Finn needs the same things, I need to eat, everything. Ex wife ( 25 years ) bailed after 1st operation realizing what was coming so I have to come home after surgery and go on like I'm fine and dandy. They tried helping me with a nerve block last time and later that night the paralysis/nerve block partially paralyzed my diaphragm. If I was at the hospital they would have eventuated me and put me on air but I didn't want to call an ambulance and leave Finny home so I waited it out trying to help myself breathe with rocking motions sitting up in my chair. I eventually fell asleep and woke up just fine breathing wise. I couldn't even clear my throat or cough during that so it was pretty uncomfortable.

When I die I don't want to go that way. It's terrible struggling to breathe.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Good god, man. Were you in the NFL?
Donut

Post by Donut »

I use an insulin pump and like to rotate it from my left to my right side, so I end up swapping my pockets and my knives. Right now my dedicated left hand knife is my S110V Manix Lightweight. Yeah, it's not easy. I carry a right hander in my back pocket and end up using that more. =\
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Good god, man. Were you in the NFL?
I've had more than one doctor ask that. Just a life that was very hard on my joints and early onset of Osteoarthritis. What has made the arthritis so aggressive to where it dissolves ends of bones into sharp edges that tear up my rotator cuff does puzzle my doctors. They look like they are thinking for for a minute, shrug their shoulders and begin getting their "surgical"drills, saws, dremels etc. out and , do surgery, write a prescription for PT, than go to the next patient. Not exactly like the TV shows. I do now have more surgery scars than old scars from knife wounds from my cop, and Corrections days. At least no one is trying to shank me in the eyeballs and back now. I've got it easy. :)