What is the best way to sharpen my Pro Venator ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ton

What is the best way to sharpen my Pro Venator ?

Post by Ton »

About 15 years ago I bought a Spyderco Pro Venator and would like to resharpen it with the (old model) Tri-Angle Sharpmaker which I bought at the same time. However it is not completely clear to me how that should be done correctly.

As you may know, the blade of the Pro Venator is partly plain and partly serrated and the serrations are only on one side of the blade.

From the Sharpmaker's manual I understand that serrated knives should be sharpened the same way as a plain edge, that is drawing the blade from heel to tip while keeping the blade perpendicular to the base. However in several places I also read that that is not the correct way to do it and that the serrations should be sharpened one by one in a perpendicular movement to the base and that the plain part of the blade should be sharpened separately in the regular way.

What, in your opinion, would be the best way to bring my Pro Venator to an "as new" state ?
Thanks in advance.
ohcyclist

Re: What is the best way to sharpen my Pro Venator ?

Post by ohcyclist »

If you are really worried about it you can send to spyderco for servicing/sharpening for negligible cost. They have always done a great job for me.
akaAK

Re: What is the best way to sharpen my Pro Venator ?

Post by akaAK »

I have the same knife and my bevels were so wide (greater that 40 degrees) that the SM wasn't doing the trick for me. I have never gotten around to reprofiling so I put a steep microbevel on it and that has worked. Admittedly I don't use it very much.

I have a number of CE's and use the SM exclusively for them. Use the corners only. I sharpen alternately from tip to heel (righ side, one with serrations ground into it) and tip to the begining of the serration pattern (left side). I do this 4 times and then on the 5th cycle I go tip to heel on both sides. I repeat this pattern as necessary, I find this will smooth out the transition between PE and SE over time with is a benefit in my book.

Some others have good options for the SE portion and I am sure they will chime in shortly. This may no be the "best" way to do it but it works for knives that I use.

Welcome to the forum, if you stick around you will learn lots. I have.