CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Re: CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Post by farnorthdan »

Well looks like mine is in anchorage already should be delivered tomorrow, fastest shipment from outside ever, can't wait to check it out, everyone's pictures are outstanding thanks for posting up guys.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:Well looks like mine is in anchorage already should be delivered tomorrow, fastest shipment from outside ever, can't wait to check it out, everyone's pictures are outstanding thanks for posting up guys.
You're not kidding, shipping was very fast. I've paid extra for 2 day shipping, and this was free shipping. Very nicely done.
AJBest

Post by AJBest »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
AJBest wrote:Got mine in - second to post pics (Nice pics Roger). This is my first Yohimbo and it is better than I thought. Design and F&F are outstanding. Blade drops freely out of the box and lock-up is rock-solid.

That's a healthy dose of carbon fiber right there!

Mine says out for delivery. As its being delivered in another country, I'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Thanks Cobra! I am not sure my wife shares the same sentiment, but it each one was worth it. Getting this YO2 today was definitely worth the wait - great job Spyderco! I cannot put it down - have been playing with it all day at work. Super-fast shipping by KW, I am sure you guys who did not get it today will get it tomorrow.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Got mine!

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Apparently my delivery got delayed for some reason, and my Yojimbo just got to my post office late this afternoon. But now I have something to look forward to tomorrow.

All the pics posted so far look great!
:bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

victorf

Post by victorf »

My two Yojimbo just came!

One day early, so its all good right?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:Image
Wow. Those are nice.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Have you decided which one is for the slaughter (mods)? ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Got home late today but found the much anticipated box on the front porch. Will try to get pics up this weekend but it is unlikely I can compete with what has already been posted here. Definitely a keeper, and making me think about getting a second one for a pre-need replacement.
bchan

Post by bchan »

I can see that the Yojimbo as primarily self-defense oriented; but how does it fare in ordinary cutting roles? Also how does it perform as a chopper? I would be grateful for any insights.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Have you decided which one is for the slaughter (mods)? ;)
I have, one of them has just slightly better grinds than the other so that one gets to stay in the box. I'm thinking mods may start as early as later today. Still on the fence about a regrind.

As for how these knives fare as general use knives, think of them as an over sized exacto knife. They excel at detail cutting with the tip. I have chopped veggies with mine just out of curiosity, and it did OK in a pinch grip, as there isn't enough room under the handle for your fingers. They aren't the best at slicing thick things like apples since the grind transitions to 4mm quite abruptly at the top of the hollow grind, but for typical EDC they're just fine for most things. I carried my original one for nearly a year without rotating it out.
bchan

Post by bchan »

Thanks Evil, I am thinking of using this knife for cutting off stumps off the vegetables, horticultural cutting and pruning and opening taped cardboard boxes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bchan wrote:Thanks Evil, I am thinking of using this knife for cutting off stumps off the vegetables, horticultural cutting and pruning and opening taped cardboard boxes.
A wharncliffe blade will work very well for those tasks, especially anything that doesn't require a flat surface to cut against, or "cutting board style". You can make it work if you pinch the blade by the thumb hold and chop with it. It'll do just fine for pruning plants and opening packages.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Evil D wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:[quote="Evil D
I have, one of them has just slightly better grinds than the other so that one gets to stay in the box. I'm thinking mods may start as early as later today. Still on the fence about a regrind.
One of mine is very sharp, the other one is only sharp in the middle of the blade, the tip and the heel are a bit dull. I spent a few minutes on the sharp maker, but didn't get very far.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JohnAPA wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:[quote="Evil D
One of mine is very sharp, the other one is only sharp in the middle of the blade, the tip and the heel are a bit dull. I spent a few minutes on the sharp maker, but didn't get very far.
Yeah unfortunately neither of mine are even sharp enough to shave, which is unusual in my experience. The bevels on mine are both nearly perfect and even on both sides, just not super sharp.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This will sound dumb but I really hope mine is scary sharp as I have no interest in sharpening this any time soon. S90V scares the crap out of me to be honest. I messed up my S90V para pretty bad last time trying to sharpen it. I'm not saying I'll never sharpen it, I'm just hoping I have time to warm up to the idea lol.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Or at least I hope I can wait until I can afford a second in case I mess up the first.

@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Liquid Cobra wrote:This will sound dumb but I really hope mine is scary sharp as I have no interest in sharpening this any time soon. S90V scares the crap out of me to be honest. I messed up my S90V para pretty bad last time trying to sharpen it. I'm not saying I'll never sharpen it, I'm just hoping I have time to warm up to the idea lol.
If you wanna PM me we can work out something, I have no problems sharpening it or 110. Worst that'll happen is I screw yours up and have to send you one of mine lol.
endgame

Post by endgame »

send it back get a new one.knife should be sharp .or send it to golden.I use a apex and since the bevel should be fine on it you can touch it up with the 400 or 600 grit stone and up threw the tapes the strop.maybe thats all it needs a good stropping or honeing.if you use a apex make sure you sharpie it to find out the angle and tape the blade at contact point so you dont scratch it.alsi keep those stones wet.