CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Re: CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Post by farnorthdan »

Donut wrote:
Ned wrote:Actually it's not a saber grind, its a high hollow grind and it is awesome!!! I love it..
I think I would almost call this a LOW hollow grind. The hollow doesn't go up very far on the blade.
So it's more a hollow grind than a saber, is the general consensus that this is a better grind for this knife and if so what are the advantages of a hollow grind over a FFG?
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

farnorthdan wrote:
Donut wrote:
Ned wrote:Actually it's not a saber grind, its a high hollow grind and it is awesome!!! I love it..
I think I would almost call this a LOW hollow grind. The hollow doesn't go up very far on the blade.
So it's more a hollow grind than a saber, is the general consensus that this is a better grind for this knife and if so what are the advantages of a hollow grind over a FFG?
I like that Michael chose hollow grind because it gives a thick spine for thumb purchase in Fillipino grip, and then a thin edge for razor sharpness and sliceability in soft media (ie; muscle, tendons).
endgame

Post by endgame »

I have mine on the way.what do you guys think about a spyderedge yojimbo 2.for defence I think it would cut threw anything
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

endgame wrote:I have mine on the way.what do you guys think about a spyderedge yojimbo 2.for defence I think it would cut threw anything
Michael has said many times that a serrated edge can snag on clothing and defeat the cut. Since the MBC money shot is the quad cut I would think that denim or canvas-type pants would be particularly susceptible.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JohnAPA wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
Donut wrote:
I like that Michael chose hollow grind because it gives a thick spine for thumb purchase in Fillipino grip, and then a thin edge for razor sharpness and sliceability in soft media (ie; muscle, tendons).
I think for this purpose, the blade is ground absolutely perfectly. I think the most ingenious part of the design of this knife is the triangle shape of the tip. If you were to hold the blade at an angle so that the triangle of the point is aiming directly into a target (like >) the point would penetrate, and the angle of the spine/point would work in such a way that it pushes the edge through what it's cutting.

I may be looking too far into this, as most blades probably penetrate in a similar manner, or it may just be the magic behind a wharnie blade in general.

That said, the grind doesn't lend itself as well to general EDC, being a bit low and thick on the hollow grind. It definitely isn't horrible, I've used mine to cut corrugated for quite a long time and made due with the grind, but you don't need to be an engineer to know that it would slice much better with a flat grind or even with just a higher hollow grind. Being thin behind the edge doesn't go a long way when the grind ramps up into a 4mm spine so abruptly.
Donut

Post by Donut »

endgame wrote:I have mine on the way.what do you guys think about a spyderedge yojimbo 2.for defence I think it would cut threw anything
I've seen demonstrations where the spyder edge will hold onto jeans, or a jacket and then they will just slide across what you're trying to cut.
Evil D wrote:
JohnAPA wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
Donut wrote: I think I would almost call this a LOW hollow grind. The hollow doesn't go up very far on the blade.
I think for this purpose, the blade is ground absolutely perfectly. I think the most ingenious part of the design of this knife is the triangle shape of the tip. If you were to hold the blade at an angle so that the triangle of the point is aiming directly into a target (like >) the point would penetrate, and the angle of the spine/point would work in such a way that it pushes the edge through what it's cutting.

I may be looking too far into this, as most blades probably penetrate in a similar manner, or it may just be the magic behind a wharnie blade in general.

That said, the grind doesn't lend itself as well to general EDC, being a bit low and thick on the hollow grind. It definitely isn't horrible, I've used mine to cut corrugated for quite a long time and made due with the grind, but you don't need to be an engineer to know that it would slice much better with a flat grind or even with just a higher hollow grind. Being thin behind the edge doesn't go a long way when the grind ramps up into a 4mm spine so abruptly.
Yeah, I think for a SD blade, you don't need to be super specific. If it has an edge and cuts, it's good. I believe the Yo 2 is hollow ground because people complained on the Yo 1 being flat ground and people believed the tip was fragile.

I imagine this knife would perform much better with a 2.5mm blade stock. You don't need to do much prying in self defense. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

So knifeworks just informed me the postal service recently told them that any folding knives that can opened one handed will be destroyed, nothing to do with flicking. Is this new or am i behind?
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Cheddarnut wrote:So knifeworks just informed me the postal service recently told them that any folding knives that can opened one handed will be destroyed, nothing to do with flicking. Is this new or am i behind?
LOL WHAT? Serious?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cheddarnut wrote:So knifeworks just informed me the postal service recently told them that any folding knives that can opened one handed will be destroyed, nothing to do with flicking. Is this new or am i behind?
Is this a Canada/customs thing?
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Glad I'm getting these now before Obama's third term.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Evil D wrote:
I would assume so, though the way the email was phrased didnt mention the border. This is balls.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Cheddarnut wrote:
Evil D wrote:
I would assume so, though the way the email was phrased didnt mention the border. This is balls.
LOL, brother, seriously, let us know you live in a country that has no constitution when you say stuff like that.

Hope you can get one though! Good luck.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

What the deuce are you talking about? That makes no sense. We can ship firearms in the mail, why would they have anything against folding knives?

Are you talking about Canada Post? Or are you talking about knives being shipped through the border?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're only a day away......
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

yeah tomorrow is the day
I was waiting for mine to appear in my pocket and have the memories of getting it yesterday but it never happened.
Postal service estimated delivery was a little off it still says expected delivery sept 15th.
Feels like i've been waiting for this longer than the G-10/Ti CPM-M4 millie i think that one took over a year to come out
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VashHash wrote:yeah tomorrow is the day
I was waiting for mine to appear in my pocket and have the memories of getting it yesterday but it never happened.
Postal service estimated delivery was a little off it still says expected delivery sept 15th.
Feels like i've been waiting for this longer than the G-10/Ti CPM-M4 millie i think that one took over a year to come out
If I had to pick between this knife and that one, I would just be happy that I'm getting 2 Yo's lol.
bchan

Post by bchan »

JohnAPA wrote:I like that Michael chose hollow grind because it gives a thick spine for thumb purchase in Fillipino grip, and then a thin edge for razor sharpness and sliceability in soft media (ie; muscle, tendons).
What is a Filipino grip, and what advantages does it confer?
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Not quite true as I've spoken to them as well. But apparently the brave customs officers are giving them a hard shake and if the blade opens then they are considered to be a knife capable of being opened by centrifugal force - or a flick knife. One handed opening knives are not illegal under Canadian law if it doesn't breach any of the other conditions. Even assisted openers are OK......as long as the blade can't be shaken out.

I got the same email and spoke with a rep.....it is just a form letter email because some knives have been confiscated and it has caused some problems with their insurance coverage. If you get an axis lock ask them to tighten the pivot in an email so the blade doesn't move at all then the only way they can get it to move is by tampering with the knife themselves.

With Spyderco's some such as some CBBL's with weaker springs can even be shaken out if shaken hard enough so a tighter/stronger spring is actually doing you a favour in shipping across the border. When it comes down to it though ANY knife can be made to operate in what teh border services would erroneously consider an "illegal" fashion - the blade just has to over come whatever spring force keeps it closed. Throw any knife in a vise connected to a robotic arm that can operate at a very high speed and then suddenly stop and even a backlock will not prevent the blade from coming out.

So to some extent it is a dumb test since if you can barely get the blade to come out and risk throwing the knife across the room in doing so then that is hardly a fair test of what the law intends.

Also there is the whole argument of what exactly is applied centrifugal force. A shake in only one direction is really an application of a linear force whereas an arced movement of the knife such as is used in opening a balisong is a directed centrifugal force since the blade is experiencing that force acting on it. It is easier to shake a blade loose than to open it by trying to throw it out in an circular movement.

The problem is that even when they are wrong.....you still have to go to the trouble of appealing and then convincing the arbiter that you are right.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ManixFan that was a great post. Thank you for taking the time, I really appreciate it. Clears things up nicely.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

JohnAPA wrote:LOL, brother, seriously, let us know you live in a country that has no constitution when you say stuff like that.

Hope you can get one though! Good luck.
Canada has a constitution. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Canada

@liquid_cobra