For those into customs, how do your Spydies compare?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Strong-Dog

For those into customs, how do your Spydies compare?

Post by Strong-Dog »

A year ago if you would have asked me if custom folders (depending on maker) are worth it, I would have told you that I'm as happy as I can be with my Spydercos. The materials are great, quality is great, etc. Why do a need a custom when Spyderco does such a good job at making all different types of folders?

Fast forward to today, my views have definitely evolved. After having owned probably around ten customs (a couple midtechs in there), it is like my eyes have been opened wider than I ever imagined. Don't get me wrong, I love my Spydercos still, but honestly they don't hold the same allure as they used to. I can now calmly refuse to purchase the latest sprint-run without feeling regret, knowing that it won't compare to my customs. I find customs have replaced my need for higher level production models. For example, I carry and use my CTS-204p Para (and M390 Ritter Grip, cheaper knives like those two), but I have no real need for a Southard or Rubicon.

I guess my question to you is, how has getting into customs affected your view on production Spydies? I will always have a place for Spydies, but more so to actually use them then to have tons of them as I used to.
GoldenSpydie

Re: For those into customs, how do your Spydies compare?

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Let me preface this by saying that I don't have any custom folders, only mid-techs. I do however have several custom fixed blades.

My collection of (production) non-Spydie folding knives consists of some BM, some KAI, and a few from random other brands such as CS, Ontario, etc. Compared to these, Spyderco nearly always wins in regard to quality. For mid-techs, I have two CRK sm/21 Sebs. I EDCed one of these for a few months a while back. The CRKs are, sorry, slightly above the level of most of my Spyders due to amazing F&F. I don't really carry the Seb much anymore because I prefer the designs offered by Spyderco.

On the fixed blade front, I don't really like many of Spyderco's offerings. In fact, I only own two Mules, a Swick, and a Moran. I much prefer brands such as SYKCO/Swamp Rat/Busse, Esee, and (forgive me) BK&T. I own a (gifted) custom Dietmar Kressler fixed blade, and being a multi-thousand-dollar knife, it does not see much use. However, this DFK is by far the most amazing example of quality in my collection, by a long shot. I have two other custom fixed blades: a tiny little EDC-type wharnie from JK and a bushcraft-type custom from Big Chris. Both of these are superior to any of my production fixed blades.

So to answer your question, when it comes to customs, I like them and will use them, but I prefer Spydies for everyday use.
chasehood

Post by chasehood »

im not at that point but... I know Geoff at Tuff Knives says that his favorite production folder is the pm 2. so if you are comparing spyderco to customs, I'm sure the ones who favor spyderco are die hard carriers. But if you are asking what production knife comes second to customs? then most collectors will say spyderco.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Let me preface this by saying that I don't have any custom folders, only mid-techs. I do however have several custom fixed blades.

My collection of (production) non-Spydie folding knives consists of some BM, some KAI, and a few from random other brands such as CS, Ontario, etc. Compared to these, Spyderco nearly always wins in regard to quality. For mid-techs, I have two CRK sm/21 Sebs. I EDCed one of these for a few months a while back. The CRKs are, sorry, slightly above the level of most of my Spyders due to amazing F&F. I don't really carry the Seb much anymore because I prefer the designs offered by Spyderco.

On the fixed blade front, I don't really like many of Spyderco's offerings. In fact, I only own two Mules, a Swick, and a Moran. I much prefer brands such as SYKCO/Swamp Rat/Busse, Esee, and (forgive me) BK&T. I own a (gifted) custom Dietmar Kressler fixed blade, and being a multi-thousand-dollar knife, it does not see much use. However, this DFK is by far the most amazing example of quality in my collection, by a long shot. I have two other custom fixed blades: a tiny little EDC-type wharnie from JK and a bushcraft-type custom from Big Chris. Both of these are superior to any of my production fixed blades.

So to answer your question, when it comes to customs, I like them and will use them, but I prefer Spydies for everyday use.
Yeah, I guess that is a better way of putting it then what I said in my OP. Completely agree
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I have some 12 customs in my current collection, and some 30 production folders as well.

And among those 30, 99% are Spydies. Which are better? It's not that simple. My custom were chosen because some specific reasons, very far away of the merely 'I Like It' one.

I think the average Joe will pick any custom he likes, if he can afford it, but not because that blade could deliver any desired performance. Just because it looks 'Cool'. So it means there is a lack of consistency there. :rolleyes:

Production folders instead, at least between the very best companies, are all about consistency and performance, giving the fact they can't target a 'Good Looking Blade' market.They don't pretend to merely look better than competitors, they try to be better than them.

And precisely there is where Spyderco reigns: it's plain & simple the best production folders company around. And that's why it can easily surpass a lot of customs, Spydies are made to perform better every time, not just to look nice in a picture. :cool:
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I guess I wasn't very clear. What I meant to ask was for those who used to be only in to production knives (or Spydies), how has getting into customs affected your views and stance them? So, maybe you used to buy every limited edition Spydie ever produced, but now customs has filled that niche and Spydies are mainly just carried and used.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I still love my spydies no matter what.....I like how unique they are and ease of use and just love the way they look. That being said i still have plenty of striders and hinderers and the knife that comes to mind that really stands up to them would be my tuff. Solid as a rock and full titanium lock bar and beefy blade. Also, I won't buy a $1000, $2000 knife because i wouldn't be able to bring myself to use or carry it for fear of loss or theft. If I'm not going to carry and use a knife. I don't want it..plain and simple.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have a few customs, and would consider buying another custom fixed blade. However, It have come to the realization that, as far as folders are concerned, my chances of finding a "full custom" that offers all the features I want is so slim that I'm better off having Spyderco models that already have most of those features customized to my tastes. For me, the challenge is to find someone willing and able to make an Odin's Eye Damasteel blade and a "dent free" lockbar for a Stretch.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Strong-Dog wrote:I guess I wasn't very clear. What I meant to ask was for those who used to be only in to production knives (or Spydies), how has getting into customs affected your views and stance them? So, maybe you used to buy every limited edition Spydie ever produced, but now customs has filled that niche and Spydies are mainly just carried and used.
Here's a slightly more condensed example of my views on custom vs. Spyder:

In the case of my need for a fixed blade for a backpacking trip in July, I could not find a production knife that fit my specs, so I had to order the Big Chris. If there had been an identical collaboration knife with Spyderco, I would have gone with that instead. So even though I will order/use a custom for a specific purpose, I would rather collect and use Spydercos.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Even when I was into custom folders, I still bought the new model Spydercos. Over the years, priorities have changed a bit, so I sold several hundred custom knives that I'd accumulated, but kept collecting and using Spydercos! I started with Spyderco, everything else just feels wrong :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There are very few things a custom knife will do that a quality production one won't. In fact, with exception to a few makers most customs won't perform like a Spyderco due to the modern advancements, materials and edge geometry.

Still, that isn't the point of buying a custom knife. It's a different philosophy entirely with intrinsic value that can't be broken-down. I have a semi-custom by Kingdom Armory (Mini Samaritan) which compared to my Sage2 feels far tighter and has a few softer edges and fun little touches. I have a custom folder being made by Eddie Baca that will have copper scales, thumb studs, and even copper plugs in the blade spine.

Production knives are tools first and jewelry second. Customs really are the reverse as there is no pragmatic reason to pay $400+ for a knife if a Delica will perform pretty much every task you could throw at it. Same reason why a new Corvette will give most Ferrari's a fit on the track but no matter what the stopwatch says they aren't the same.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I want a copper scaled knife. I have a 1/8" x 4" x 12" sheet of pure copper I am going to try to make some scales with it. I would love to see pics of that knife when you get it.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I want a copper scaled knife. I have a 1/8" x 4" x 12" sheet of pure copper I am going to try to make some scales with it. I would love to see pics of that knife when you get it.
The delivery date is a bit vague but will do! :D
endgame

Post by endgame »

I have customes and midtech and spydies.a midtech is still a production just limited.a true custom is made for you.so there realy is no comparison.in resale customs such they are hard to sell.if quality is what you seek then I only see a difference in the materials used not the function a custom functions just like a production or midtech they just are made of more expensive steels and hardware.they will not cut or work any bettsr then any good pdoduction spydetco or other knives.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Blerv wrote:In fact, with exception to a few makers most customs won't perform like a Spyderco due to the modern advancements, materials and edge geometry.
It is hard to make a statement like that because what really is meant by custom knifemaker, there are scads of art makers if you include them then performance often isn't an option. However if you can't find a custom knife which works well then you are not looking very hard :

-Nitrobe 77
-triple temper, four low temperature quenches (liquid nitrogen)
-full flat grind
-< 0.010" edge
-very smooth/secure liner lock

Try to find that in a production knife, and on top of that :

"The liners are grade five Titanium (Ti6Al4V) and the indent ball is silicon nitride developed for the space programme. (93HRC)

the handles are the very rare and hard (7.5Moh) gemstone "Pietersite" from Namibia showing unexcelled chatoyance.

The bolsters are heat treated Stain resisting Damasteel."

It is pretty easy to work with custom makers that will exceed production performance and it is far easier for them to do so because of the scale. That being said I still carry Spyderco knives and the main reason is nothing other to support a company because of the character of the owner/president. I just use customs as well.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I've had quite a few customs, have more on order, plus own several midtechs (FF Pretium, Hoback Kwaiback, CRK Seb 25/21, Hinderer XM-18, and others). I also own many Spyderco knives...too many to bother listing at this point.

I've found that Mid-techs and Spyderco knives have incredible build quality whereas many custom knives are less perfect. Some makers go to the extreme but others let a lot of minor stuff go...I've also found that true of brands like Hinderer (poor lockup, poor flipping) and Strider (poor lockup, poor CS).

What Cliff says is true in that some custom makers do care a lot about performance, but I find them to be in the minority. I have a real issue with makers using basic D2 or N690 on $1,000 knives. They are 'fine' steels, but there are better options (there are better versions of D2, even). Des Horn is awesome and I am on a wait list of his for a knife in Nitrobe 77. Elliot, at Ferrum Forge, really cares about getting performance and heat treat right (though QC issues plagued his mid-tech run and his knives aren't ground very lean for optimal cutting performance). Other popular knives...like those from Hinderer, Emerson, Strider, CRK, and others are not ground in such a way that cutting performance is really optimized. They often sell 'hard use' knives that are plagued with lockup problems or other issues. So what's my point? Custom and mid tech knives CAN be awesome, but not all are. They can look cool and be fun to flip and that's what 95% of 'collectors' want, but they don't perform like typical Spyderco knives do. The reason I said earlier that mid-tech knives have great build quality is because in my experience, most have been fantastic outside of a few brands. They're mostly machine made so the tolerances are quite good and then usually assembled by the maker so they perform as expected.

Even with what I consider to be a nice collection going, I generally carry either a small Seb 21 insingo or a Spyderco (lately, a Manix 2 LW, Yo2, N5 forum, or Techno). I don't even cut things with the Seb, it's just there to play with when bored haha...that's how much I respect the Spydercos.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
Blerv wrote:In fact, with exception to a few makers most customs won't perform like a Spyderco due to the modern advancements, materials and edge geometry.
It is hard to make a statement like that because what really is meant by custom knifemaker, there are scads of art makers if you include them then performance often isn't an option. However if you can't find a custom knife which works well then you are not looking very hard :
Sorry, few as in a percentage of the total people who make knives, not literally "a few people". I'm sure all are concerned with proper HT's (even sending out to places like Paul Bos) and grinding techniques but the majority don't seem to dabble in esoteric steels. At least I see more advertising ATS-34, S30v, D2, 440c, etc. Steels that are terrific but are more well rounded.

Nonetheless I only have one semi-custom and one custom in route. My rotation hasn't changed one bit with Spyderco knives getting carried more often given my collection. My brother sold the majority of his Spydies and has only a few left along with two Chris Reeve knives. That was more to buy a collection of Irish and Scotch whiskey's though than anything else. :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Strong-Dog wrote:A year ago if you would have asked me if custom folders (depending on maker) are worth it, I would have told you that I'm as happy as I can be with my Spydercos. The materials are great, quality is great, etc. Why do a need a custom when Spyderco does such a good job at making all different types of folders?

Fast forward to today, my views have definitely evolved. After having owned probably around ten customs (a couple midtechs in there), it is like my eyes have been opened wider than I ever imagined. Don't get me wrong, I love my Spydercos still, but honestly they don't hold the same allure as they used to. I can now calmly refuse to purchase the latest sprint-run without feeling regret, knowing that it won't compare to my customs. I find customs have replaced my need for higher level production models. For example, I carry and use my CTS-204p Para (and M390 Ritter Grip, cheaper knives like those two), but I have no real need for a Southard or Rubicon.

I guess my question to you is, how has getting into customs affected your view on production Spydies? I will always have a place for Spydies, but more so to actually use them then to have tons of them as I used to.

Well.....

It's not really an apples to apples comparison comparing Customs to Production..

Some of the Custom makers focus on high performance using highly optimized geometry and high performance steels with optimal heat treats and they do their own heat treating...

So to even try and compare a production blade to one of those wouldn't be fair to Spyderco.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't own a single custom, because I couldn't spend custom money on a knife that I wouldn't EDC. I'm sure somewhere out there exists a knife that I would like purely on an artistic/beauty level, but I haven't found it yet and have far too many users to spend my money on at the moment. As far as custom goes, my aim is more towards custom modifications to factory knives.

That said, I have spent quite a lot of time looking at custom Southards, comparing them to my Spyderco Southard, and though I do like the original, I think I would rather use the factory piece.

I should add, there definitely are custom knives out there that I think are more designed to BE users as opposed to "pocket jewelry". In that case (assuming I shelled out the cash for them), I would absolutely put them through their paces.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Evil D wrote:I don't own a single custom, because I couldn't spend custom money on a knife that I wouldn't EDC. I'm sure somewhere out there exists a knife that I would like purely on an artistic/beauty level, but I haven't found it yet and have far too many users to spend my money on at the moment. As far as custom goes, my aim is more towards custom modifications to factory knives.

That said, I have spent quite a lot of time looking at custom Southards, comparing them to my Spyderco Southard, and though I do like the original, I think I would rather use the factory piece.

I should add, there definitely are custom knives out there that I think are more designed to BE users as opposed to "pocket jewelry". In that case (assuming I shelled out the cash for them), I would absolutely put them through their paces.
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by BE users?