Look what came in the mail today! TUSK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Look what came in the mail today! TUSK

Post by Surfingringo »

The Tusk has arrived! I'm really anxious to put this one through its paces! All I've done is fondle and sharpen for now. :rolleyes: The knife fits amazingly in the hand. Excellent ergonomics, especially with the hand forward in the choil and the thumb on the spine. Melts into the hand. Fit and finish are outstanding. Solid little knife.

I will have this one out on the ocean all month so I'll keep y'all posted on corrosion resistance and edge retention but my my initial impressions are very favorable on this one. It's an amazing design and very comfortable in the hand. This one really is a work of art. Kudos to Eric and crew.

Last edited by Surfingringo on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Re: Look what came in the mail today!

Post by Evil D »

I think this is a really difficult design to pull off. My OCD of balance and equilibrium has a hard time liking how it looks, but I appreciate the function of it. I'm anxious to hear how you feel that steel compares to H1, both in corrosion resistance and edge retention.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi gringo!

The Tusk is some insanely awesome design in my book. Congrats! :spyder:

I think you really are gonna put it through what it was made for. :)

Looking forward your upcoming test pics! :D
paladin

Post by paladin »

Looking forward to what the Tusk can do in its preferred habitat...

Heck, I don't even own a sailboat and I live in TN to boot...but I still had to have a Tusk! :cool:

My only concern is with the marlinspike...where it contacts the Ti, mine has developed a little nick-like burr where & snaps closed & hits the scale...

Maybe could snag a nylon line creating a run-- I wouldn't know much about that since I don't use it for its intended purpose...

but for shotgunning beers it doesn't affect performance :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Looks great! I really like the design, but have no use at all for it, and haven't come up with a justifiable use for that spike yet.
:bug-red-white
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

gbelleh wrote:Looks great! I really like the design, but have no use at all for it, and haven't come up with a justifiable use for that spike yet.
I hear you on the marlin spike. I don't do any rope work but I figure if nothing else it will make a nice built in prybar. Regardless of my lack of need for the spike, the thing is so ingenious and well designed, it's really hard not to like it! I have to admit though, sometimes I daydream about that curved marlin spike being replaced with a small serrated hawkbill. How cool would that knife be?!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:I think this is a really difficult design to pull off. My OCD of balance and equilibrium has a hard time liking how it looks, but I appreciate the function of it. I'm anxious to hear how you feel that steel compares to H1, both in corrosion resistance and edge retention.
David, look at the third pic I posted. In that grip, the knife is almost "yojimbo comfortable". Seriously. I am amazed that such an unusual looking design feels so good in hand.
rodloos

Re: Look what came in the mail today! TUSK

Post by rodloos »

Nice pics! I look forward to hearing your in-use evaluation. Too bad you had some bumps getting it through customs.

I bought one thinking to use it kayaking and camping, although I don't really do a lot of knot-tying/untying :). For my hammock I use straps rather than tying ropes.

I found it very comfortable in the hand, and a fun little knife to play with opening/closing, both the blade and the marlin spike. The ball lock works really well on the marlin spike. I may try to thin out the blade profile a bit.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Invective

Post by Invective »

Welp, this thread made me want to buy a Tusk. And then I saw one for a great price on HKS. So I've got one on the way now! This, along with my Yo2 S90V's coming in on Thursday mean I'm in for some lean times this month D: Hope the K2 doesn't come out before my next paycheck comes in!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I held one at a local knife store, and despite how often I work with rope (Every day), I don't feel I'd get enough dedicated use out of one to justify a purchase. It was VERY ergonomic in my hand though and I liked it as soon as I held it, in both orientations.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Lookin good brother! Love the uniqueness of the dual different locks. So crazy they were able to work a frame lock and a ball lock into one model. And the functionality of that knife is endless! Enjoy it and keep us updated on how your liking it.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok, I have had the Tusk on the water and I have already put it through some rigorous testing alongside my pe Salt 1. I have learned a lot already but I'm going to continue to fish with it and use it hard for the next week or two and continue testing it for corrosion resistance and edge retention before I disclose anything.

...I will say that so far, the results are very, very interesting. :eek:
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Surfingringo wrote:Ok, I have had the Tusk on the water and I have already put it through some rigorous testing alongside my pe Salt 1. I have learned a lot already but I'm going to continue to fish with it and use it hard for the next week or two and continue testing it for corrosion resistance and edge retention before I disclose anything.

...I will say that so far, the results are very, very interesting. :eek:
Nice to see you giving it the workout everybody here is looking forward to hearing about. :)
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Congrats! I can't wait to see a review.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. I like it a lot :)
Congrats! Btw, you've made some awesome scores here lately.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Still going hard with the tusk. Had it on the water every day and doing a lot of fish work with it. It's not really a fish cleaning knife but I'm interested to see how the steel itself performs. I caught a bunch of jacks but I only kept one big mackerel today. I was slicing and dicing the carcass from nose to tail to get an idea of how these steels compare and at some point I looked down at the pile of little bitty fish parts and had to stop because things were getting a little too Hannibal Lectory.