Odd places that you play with a knife ? Yet another...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
3rdGenRigger

Re: Odd places that you play with a knife ? Yet another...

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'm also a little surprised at how many people play with knives in traffic. On a tractor that does 10 mph at top speed on a rural road when there are no cars within a mile is one thing...I've never played with one while behind the wheel of a proper vehicle...I have enough deer jump out at me around here that I know it would most certainly end up badly inside of a year, tops. I've been hit by two deer in 10 years knowing the roads and how stupid the deer around here are...both times they ran out of the ditch into the side of my trucks. I've never hit a deer with the front of a vehicle though, and I see them almost daily...I have to panic stop to avoid hitting one at least one a month, sometimes 2 or 3 times that depending on the time of year. And in the city I'd be even less inclined to be holding a knife in my hand while sitting in traffic...playing with one in the parking lot right after I buy it is a different story altogether.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

timlara wrote:It's very tempting at my mundane desk job, but I pretty much always resist playing with my knives at work for fear someone will freak out and get them banned. I actually had someone think a Calypso Jr. was scary before, so I don't risk it!
I work from home, so at any point I usually have 20 or 30 Spydies in or around my desk. I can play with knives, swords, or even guns at work without anyone freaking out! :D
:bug-red-white
timlara

Post by timlara »

gbelleh wrote: I work from home, so at any point I usually have 20 or 30 Spydies in or around my desk. I can play with knives, swords, or even guns at work without anyone freaking out! :D
Now that's my kind of office! Color me jelly! :D
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Usually while watching tv...caught myself playing with my manix on a road trip up to Kansas City the other day then looked at the speedometer and my girlfriend and was like uh yeah 75 mph an airbag and open knife lol probably not a good idea if they all came together! So I put it away....haha but yes folks be smart. Keep it to the office, in front of the tv, or on the toilet! :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

spyderHS08 wrote:Usually while watching tv...caught myself playing with my manix on a road trip up to Kansas City the other day then looked at the speedometer and my girlfriend and was like uh yeah 75 mph an airbag and open knife lol probably not a good idea if they all came together! So I put it away....haha but yes folks be smart. Keep it to the office, in front of the tv, or on the toilet! :D
I have caught myself a few times messing with one in the car but I immediately hear that little voice saying "put that **** thing away dummy!" My little voice is neither kind nor patient which is probably a good thing because he tends to know best and usually gets his way.
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I'm also a little surprised at how many people play with knives in traffic. On a tractor that does 10 mph at top speed on a rural road when there are no cars within a mile is one thing...I've never played with one while behind the wheel of a proper vehicle...I have enough deer jump out at me around here that I know it would most certainly end up badly inside of a year, tops. I've been hit by two deer in 10 years knowing the roads and how stupid the deer around here are...both times they ran out of the ditch into the side of my trucks. I've never hit a deer with the front of a vehicle though, and I see them almost daily...I have to panic stop to avoid hitting one at least one a month, sometimes 2 or 3 times that depending on the time of year. And in the city I'd be even less inclined to be holding a knife in my hand while sitting in traffic...playing with one in the parking lot right after I buy it is a different story altogether.
I imagine that you've already tried " deer whistles " or other such devices?
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Surfingringo wrote:
spyderHS08 wrote:Usually while watching tv...caught myself playing with my manix on a road trip up to Kansas City the other day then looked at the speedometer and my girlfriend and was like uh yeah 75 mph an airbag and open knife lol probably not a good idea if they all came together! So I put it away....haha but yes folks be smart. Keep it to the office, in front of the tv, or on the toilet! :D
I have caught myself a few times messing with one in the car but I immediately hear that little voice saying "put that **** thing away dummy!" My little voice is neither kind nor patient which is probably a good thing because he tends to know best and usually gets his way.
This is because it's the voice of the " better angel of our nature " like Lincoln stated. And I hear ya !
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

HorserloverFat wrote:
I imagine that you've already tried " deer whistles " or other such devices?
Oh yes...all of them.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

3rdGenRigger wrote: I've been hit by two deer in 10 years.
I am hearing you about the deer there Rigger.
Over here where I live it is Kangaroos & Wallabies. I have an incident with them weekly & the roadsides are littered with their carcasses. It then becomes not only that live ones are a hazard but also the dead one laying in your lane while there is oncoming traffic. They are mad- stupid, & in two jumps they are from the grass verge & piled into the side of your car.
So no clicking while driving here. I do however have a bit of a Spydie bat while I am a passenger. This also could prove to be dangerous for me as I like to feel along the serrated edge of my Ladybug Hawkbill.
O.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Two places: in the car and on the thinking chair. I know, the car is a dangerous place to play with a knife, or anything really. It's never for too long before I realize I'm becoming distracted and should put the darn thing down, and usually do unless it's just the tactile sensation I'm after and I simply return my eyes to the road. Though it does immediately go away when I hit the more treacherous parts of my trips.

The bathroom is another story. Work is lucky I'm not good at whittling or there would be some pretty elaborate artwork in there by now.
HOMER GRIFIN

Post by HOMER GRIFIN »

Boy, am I glad that I am not the only one with this compulsion,every time my wife sees one in my hand she just shakes her head. I have the Manix 2 G-10 and blue translucent, the Stretch, the PM2 camo and a purple Delica. One of them is always in my pocket .I just can't decide which one feels the "best".
Clip

Post by Clip »

At the desk mostly because it's where I spend quite a bit of time. Have taken out and fondled on ing drives, but always fear for the condition of my leather. I think the time in which I play with the most knives in the shortest period of time is in the morning when I'm filling my pockets up to start the day. Usually takes me about ten minutes of pulling drawers out, opening, closing, picking up another, etc.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

PayneTrain wrote:
The bathroom is another story. Work is lucky I'm not good at whittling or there would be some pretty elaborate artwork in there by now.
That is priceless. :D
- best wishes, Jazz.