go to edc combo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: go to edc combo?

Post by Evil D »

Yeah I got my Spirit for $55, that's a smokin deal in my book. I did grind off those funky butter knife serrations on the knife blade and made it PE, but otherwise it's pretty much everything I want in a multi. I would love removable wire cutter blades like the Rebar has because I have destroyed the blades on many a multi over the years, but so far the Spirit has held up nicely. I think they put the right amount of heat treat in the right places for the most part. If I had to be really picky and find one thing I really wish was done differently, it would be the way all of their tools are tumbled/polished and smooth. While I understand that this is partly for corrosion resistance, it also makes some things slippery, like the screwdriver tips that really should be sharp and "as cut" so they bite into screw heads better. Even this hasn't been too much of a frustration, at least not enough that I've considered carrying anything else.

I previously carried a SOG Powerlock, which also has every tool I need, but 1) it weighs as much as a brick 2) I couldn't live with those funny doors covering the tools 3) sharp edges in all the wrong places 4) the compound pliars are awesome when you need the extra clamping power but also cause you to have to open the handles further to get a bite on things, and 5 I think fit and finish could be better, some of the tools feel cheap. The best thing going for it was the fact that the tools can be replaced and even swapped out for other tools as the user chooses, and SOG will sell you any tool you need.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wish the reamer on Vic's multitools was the one on their knives. Vic has the best can opener for sure.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I wish the reamer on Vic's multitools was the one on their knives. Vic has the best can opener for sure.
I'll add that I prefer the spring action in their knife scissors over the tool scissors. I have no idea why they'd change that, considering how successful it's been in the knives. The only other mod I've done besides the PE blade thing is to mod the scissors so they open more. They barely open enough to cut paper, but if you have a Dremel you can easily take care of that. You need to force the handle open past the spring to expose this little point, and then just round it off a bit more and it allows the blades to open wider.