Spyderco Mini Manix 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnie1801

Spyderco Mini Manix 2?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Will there ever be a Mini Manix 2 with CBBL or are there already too many similar knives in the current line-up?

If you have a discontinued Mini Manix please post some pics :D
VashHash

Re: Spyderco Mini Manix 2?

Post by VashHash »

The manix 2 is the updated version of the mini manix. The xl is the updated version of the original manix. I know a b&m that was full of nos spydies and they had like 3 mini manix for 130 i think. I need to go back there one day but it's a 2 hr drive and I'd have to get off work early.
rycen

Post by rycen »

I think you're asking for a mini mini Manix? The Manix 2 non XL and the original mini Manix are very close in size.

Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

rycen wrote:I think you're asking for a mini mini Manix? The Manix 2 non XL and the original mini Manix are very close in size.
Ah yeah, I just saw the 83mm on the catalog page and automatically thought it was a mini mini manix, lol. Need to get my tape measure out :p

I've been carrying a Manix 2 in Cru Wear for a few days and thought how cool it would be to have a slightly smaller version. The CBB lock makes the knife a joy to edc but here where I live I'm a bit afraid to use it in public, it's not so sheeple friendly. A smaller version would be ideal when visiting the city etc. I know there are other small knives in the Spyderco line-up but it seems to me a Mini Mini Manix would be a winner with a CBBL. What are your thoughts?

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=212
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Have a look at the Dice.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

The dice and chaparral follow similar lines to the manix but are slightly better around skittish people. Did you think about getting one of them.

Ah beat me to it.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Or the sage 3.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Surfingringo wrote:Have a look at the Dice.
Hahaha, I've got one on order, I'm spending all my vacation money on Spyderco's this year instead of time on the beach :D

I'm carrying my Manix 2 in cru wear at the moment and I think I got a gem (I'll review it later in the appropriate thread), I just thought a mini Manix 2 would be really cool. The caged ball bearing lock is a real pleasure to use and makes the knife so easy to open and close. Also, I'm guessing it would be much cheaper compared to some of the other knives mentioned already.

And how about a lightweight Salt version, with so little steel in the handle you wouldn't have to worry about anything rusting. Surfingringo, what do you think, have you used a knife with a cbbl?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The "mini mini" Manix rycen refers to is called the Native 5. It's obvious the similarities of the two models, especially when you compare the original Manix (i.e., what became the XL M2) and the Mini Manix (the M2). I'll try to find the comparison pics that drove me to find all the first gen Manix family members... Cheers, Radioactive :)

Edit: Found it quick: check out this BF thread:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... P-Original" target="_blank

The M2 varieties certainly look akin to the Sage 3 models too obviously...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Wow the native 5 is really very similar to the original manix family. Maybe I'll have to take another look at the native. I never really liked the swedge on blade of the native. Obviously there isn't one on the native 5.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Thx R/S for the link, the similarity of those knives is quite striking. I'm planning on getting a Native hopefully in the New Year I just thought it would be pretty cool to have a similar sized knife in the Manix format with a caged ball bearing lock. The Manix 2 is a pretty awesome design, I'm a bit disappointed I never bought one sooner.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm eagerly awaiting the CBBL Sage to fill this role.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

A smaller BBL knife with a straightforward design would be interesting. Other than the Manix 2 the BBL knives I can recall are the Dodo, Phoenix, Poliwog, P'Kal, D'Allara/WTC and the marlin spike on the Tusk if you want to count that. All special and interesting in their own right but none are what I'd go for in an EDC piece whereas the Manix 2 was a knife I carried.
~ Nate
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I love the Native 5 series! I don't even own an original Native with that swedge except the SS Native 2, nor was I ever really tempted once I got my hands on a N5. The N5's do have a slight swedge on the blade spine, I've seen some nice mods to Manix 2's to match it (believe MadRookie has one like that).

The bolt action lock of the Sage 3's is pretty similar and many would agree probably a better example of this form of lock over even the CBBL (which is awesome in its own right). I don't EDC a Sage anymore with two S110V N5's available (which is hugely spoiling, thanks Sal!!), but the Sage 3 is definitely worth a look if you want a slightly smaller Manix in the 3" blade length range. If you don't like the blue G10, one could always RIT dye it to a darker shade of blue all the way to full black. Maybe some of the folks who won their Sage 3's in the recent calendar contest could chime in on the bolt action lock versus CBBL action too.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

The original Manixes were much better...IMO. I love those things.