More Dirty work for the Southfork

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

More Dirty work for the Southfork

Post by Surfingringo »

I have been wanting to catch some Snapper to try my new southfork on since they are a lot tougher test for a knife than mackerel. Today I got my shot.
BadFish

Re: More Dirty work for the Southfork

Post by BadFish »

Awesome pictures I really wish I could afford that knife. It's about the only fixed blade I'm really jealous of and maybe one day ill own one. Until then I'll live through yours gringo
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

My fixed blade Spydie is a Mule in K390, and man oh man does it cut. But, I'll for sure at some point get a Southfork. Been wanting one for a while now anyways...
*And awesome pics! The black and white is a nice touch.
Last edited by MacLaren on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Great pictures! Fish is supposed to be healthy to eat, so I guess you are healthy as a horse with all the fish you catch! :) And it tastes even better when you catch it yourself instead of buying it at the market. Sounds like fun!
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much Lance for the "real world" testing of Phil's Southfork.

"It's just a knife". "They're all the same , some just look better". "Steel is steel". "You're paying a high price for the name" etc. Etc. Those that know, know that's bullsh*t.

Phil Wilson is a special designer/knifemaker. His knowledge, experience and attention to detail in both design and craftsmanship really creates some exceptional cutting tools. We're pleased and proud to be able to bring his accomplishments to more people that can appreicate the finer points.

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sal wrote:Thanx much Lance for the "real world" testing of Phil's Southfork.

"It's just a knife". "They're all the same , some just look better". "Steel is steel". "You're paying a high price for the name" etc. Etc. Those that know, know that's bullsh*t.

Phil Wilson is a special designer/knifemaker. His knowledge, experience and attention to detail in both design and craftsmanship really creates some exceptional cutting tools. We're pleased and proud to be able to bring his accomplishments to more people that can appreicate the finer points.

sal
My pleasure Sal. I'll start a thread in the coming days and give my impressions....
Spoiler alert: most of them are pretty positive. ;)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Anxious for the review. As a fisherman I am very interested in this knife.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I love that blade model. Nice catch also. I have never caught a snapper before, do they fight?
Ray Allen

Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

What I really like is Lance's real world use on fish. Why? Most of the reviews out there have been on big animals like buffalo, feral pigs or cattle. All very appropriate but as Phil Wilson has said, the Southfork was designed as a all arounder and the work on fish, especially on salt water fish, given the steel selection of S90V, really adds to the knowledge base. I have been toying with getting this one for some time, and Lance I hope you include your thoughts on the sheath as well.
Best....
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I can give you feedback on the sheath at least. It works extremely well........when everything is slotted in perfectly. But mine will sometimes jam about 20% of the time I try to slide it in then I have to back it out and get it lined up just perfect (could be just an idiosyncrasy of my particular sheath). But the retention is great as well as the option for placing the G-clip on either side and at different angles for a belted IWB & angled fit. Pulling the knife out is NEVER a problem, sliding it back home can sometimes give you a little grief.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

My sheath works just fine, no jamming. I sometimes wish for a thumb push-off for one hand extraction like on the Aqua Salt, but other than that its great.

Looking forward to your review SurfingG...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Nate

Post by Nate »

Interesting comments on the sheath. I also sometimes wish it had a thumb break. I have also noticed the jamming issue, but it seldom happens and I always figured it was my fault. The sheath on mine was very tight on arrival. In fact, the first thing I used the knife for was to very carefully shave off some material and slightly widen the throat. Now the tension is about perfect.

No complaints about the knfe itself. I haven't had a chance to do anything cool with it like field dressing a moose, but I do enjoy using it all the same :)