Finally here!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Re: Finally here!

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Welcome everyone!

To the OP: Next you need at PM2, a Delica or Endura depending on which size you prefer, a Salt model with H1, and either a Manix or Native (or both). Those are some staple Spyders that everyone should have.

After that, it's on to the other models that you like. These might include the Domino/Dice or Southard, a tactical folder, a rescue knife, or a fixed blade.

Then you'll want some discontinued models. Hunt down a C15 or C19 to get your feet wet in that area. Then you'll want an ATR, Chinook (1,2, or 3), and a gentleman's folder such as a Kopa. But you'll also want a Poliwog, some Centofantes, a Caly Jr., and a Worker.

And be sure to keep up with the new models--Mule Teams (19 is still in stock), Sprint Runs, Dealer Exclusives, and of course all of the newly released models.

:D
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums! can't wait to here how you like the dfly and caly3.5
Matus

Post by Matus »

You guys are just great - it will really be tough to stay with just 2 spy dies :) Paramilitary is a very tempting knife - that are some really cool 3rd party scales and it comes with different steels and has great design. But I do not want to hurry with that. My next knife project after our vacation will be testing my newly thinned Haburn gyuto and comparing it to Kato that I have a chance to borrow.

I had a look at Endura and Delica, but even though that these are some of the most 'true' spydercos, I am not quite as attracted to them. I have learned that I love finger choils, and these two knives do not have them. I would love to get my hands on the burgundy ZDP Calypso Jr - I have seen some really great photographs here on the forum (in general there are quite a few good photographers around here) of one with slightly modified spine and upper choil - looked awesome. Worker looks cool for sure. I also like the Bradley Air - probably the most elegant gentleman's folder I have seen but I would need a clip to use it. I have seen some custom work around here, but I would probably not dare to do that myself.

Concerning the D'Fly and Caly I have one good news (D'fly) and one bad news (Caly). They both concern RIT dye, but I will start a separate thread for that.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Matus

Post by Matus »

And just to show how serious I was when I was choosing my first spydercos - I have taken the official images and scaled them to each-other so I could make a direct size comparison. 3rd from the bottom is my multi-tool pocket knife. Do you recognise them all? - just kidding :D

When I see this image again - I can not help but think ... that Military is HUGE. Calypso is a very interesting knife too.

P.S. - I promise some photos of my own to come soon too. I understand that that is a MUST around here :)

3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Welcome aboard! You're now doomed like the rest of us. It starts with one or two...and then spirals out from there. I had 2 Spydercos for about 7 years, but in the last 3 my collection has grown to 37 and counting. Spyderco gives us so many options regarding handle materials, ergonomics, blade steels, blade geometries, lock types, etc...it becomes very tempting to explore.
Matus

Post by Matus »

As promised - here a a few photos of my D'fly and Caly:

But as already mentioned - both look differently now (not sure whether for the better though)

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome to all you new guys! Glad you were patient. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

Hi Matus,
Welcome to the Forum. I too came here after spending 5 years with Dave and the boys at knifeforums, then kitchen knife forums. What I have found to be the biggest difference is the huge variety of stainless steels that Spyderco uses. It took me a while to sort out the carbon steels on the kitchen knives and finally realized that the heat treatment and geometry were probably far more important than the actual composition of the steel. Here I am a collector so am not as interested in the ease of sharpening as I was for the kitchen knives which I use. I enjoy reading others sharpening exploits and have noted the claims of large differences in the steels. Too much to try to wrap my mind around!

I do have to say it is easier to sharpen my 3"EDC than my 270mm Heiji gyuto or the 300mm Shig I recently sold. This is a whole different world and a very cool place to land. Enjoy.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Welcome, Matus!
Always nice to see some German folks here with good taste concerning knives.
But your Caly 3.5 SB could take some more patina :)

Matus

Post by Matus »

Indeed - sharpening folding knives is different story compared to japanese kitchen knives. It is a funny thing - over at kitchen knife forums (KKF) very most users use water stones (including me) and sharpening systems are frown upon (for only one good reason and that is thinning - something that rarely needs to be done on pocket knife) and here most users seem to have some sort of sharpening system (sharpmaker seems favourite). But the geometries, grinds and heat treatments even on the same steels (VG-10, super blue, D2, ... ) is very different and it is no wonder that different tools are used for maintenance.

I myself thought that I will simply continue using my stones for the spyderco knives and while it cab be done it is not the best fit for blades this small with sticking out choils and moving parts. So I got the sharpmaker as well. And I really like the simplicity of it.

My Caly 3.5 already has a patina and also a RIT dye job (that looks 'aged' as others suggested, see HERE

Ah and, BTW, I am not a German, just living and working in Germany (since 10 years :eek: ). I come from Slovakia :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Matus, TheArchitect, 303_Enfield and MattM68,

Welcome to our forum. Sorry it took so long to get it sorted, but we're glad you're here. Hope you enjoy your time here. We have some very special people hangin' out.

sal
Fooks714

Post by Fooks714 »

Welcome to the forums guys!
Fooks

Current:
Delica 4 Gray FRN

Wishlist:
PM2 (any model), Manix2 Lightweight, Caly 3 CF ZDP, Dragonfly Green Foliage too many to list
This is just the start!
Matus

Post by Matus »

Thank you sal. It was actually a very interesting experience to be able to read, but not to post. Many questions were answered just by browsing&reading. And doing so I could not only learn a lot, but I saw a lot of passion that users have for your knives. I think I am going to enjoy hanging around :)
josemfuente

Post by josemfuente »

Welcome!