Finally here!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Finally here!

Post by Matus »

Hello everyone,

I have been waiting since about 2 months for the registration to become available. ln the mean time I have become a happy owner and user of Dragonfly and Caly 3.5 - both is super blue. Both blades have been etched with vinegar and the handles will soon get a dye job. Photos will come eventually. And last but not least - sharpmaker arrived just recently and the CBN rods are on their way too :)

But now for a little introduction. I come from the world of Japanese kitchen knives (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/) which I have entered about 2 years ago and today it is pleasure to cut food in our kitchen with knives from Yoshikane, Carter, Haburn, Fujiwara FKM, MAC (the best bread knife out there) and hopefully in the future maybe Shigefusa or Kato and some Itinomonn. I have also learned free hand sharpening with water stones - a really enjoyable process. I gave away my KME sharpening system and never looked back. It was usable and would do great job on outdoor and pocket knifes, but not on kitchen knives (at least not in a long run).

The reason to get a spyderco was simple - my only pocket knife was a small multi-tool from Fox (similar to standard size SAK, but with nicer scales) and I needed something for a cycling trip. I knew about spyderco knives before, but now after short browsing of this very forum I decided to get a Caly 3.5 for that purpose. During the browsing process I can across the Dragonfly and it was love at first sight, so I ordered them both at the same time. So far I really like the way these knives work - sit in hand perfectly and cut very well. The dragonfly gets to open post boxes and the Caly gets taken along to trips and when necessary shreds some carton boxes (to make them fit the paper trash bin). The choice of steel was strongly influenced by my prior experience - our kitchen knives have their blades (or cutting core in the case of san-mai blades) made of bunch of different steels: SKD (A2), SLD (D2), super blue, white #1, AEB-L and in the past VG-10 (from Shun unfortunately, has issues with micro-chipping) . The edge holding of the super blue is really great so it was an easy choice :)

The decision to get a sharpmaker was made when I realized that I would like to change the secondary bevel on the Caly and I did not want to take it to water stones as the mud could easily get inside the pivot and onto the handle. Once it arrived I realized that it will take forever to get the job done with the medium rods and decided to bite the bullet and get the CBN rods (which here in Germany cost as much as the whole sharpmaker right now). These should arrive soon.

I will definitely share my views of Dragonfly and Caly 3.5 - they just need to get more use first.

So - I am glad I could finally join this forum - it seems like a really nice place :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Johnnie1801

Re: Finally here!

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Welcome to the forum :)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Welcome, this is a great forum. Lots of great info. Very difficult to have only 2 Spydies. Once you've been bit, you just can't quit. ;) Be well
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Welcome to the forum. With all those great kitchen knives you are going to LOVE the sharpmaker!! Mine stays in the kitchen, set up and ready to go at all times.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy your stay.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Welcome Matus! Thank you for sharing your experience and history in a great first post. I think you will fit in well here as your taste in the Spyderco Caly and Dragonfly clearly points to an insightful purchaser and user.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Welcome.. Have fun!! John :)
TheArchitect

Post by TheArchitect »

Great background Matus. I like many of the new members joining today have been looking in the window from the outside and it’s great to finally participate in the dialogue. One of the features of the forum that I appreciate a lot from reading forum posts over the past 6 months is the eclectic nature of everyone’s background and how everyone eventually found their way to Spyderco.
Coming from my background of Architecture, design and construction I can really appreciate the thoughtfulness of design expressed and executed in every model I have handled from Spyderco. The ergonomics, materials, fit and finish continues to wow me every time I hold a new Spydie. I stumbled upon Spyderco a couple years ago from a contractor who was using a Military on a job site and here I am today – hooked on Spyderco. I never expected how strong the bite would be from reading everyone’s posts, but now I understand. :spyder:
25 :spyder:'s and counting
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Welcome to the forum Matus and TheArchitect! I tended to forget that new registrations were disabled as part of the battle against spammers. Glad you have now been able to join.

While I have a few pretty nice kitchen knives, I'm afraid mine tend to sit unused in pristine condition, I'm not very talented in the kitchen :(.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Thank you all for your warm welcome. Yes - it will not be easy to keen number of my Spydercos down to 2, but that it something I would like to sustain (I am not a collector type of person - I have managed to keep the numbers of medium format cameras and kitchen knives down to acceptable level - also thanks to my loving wife ;) ), but it is indeed hard to resist to 'try out' all those cool knives. So far I have ventilated that need on one more Dragonly (in ZDP) which I gave to my friend as a present after he finished his PhD. And sooner or later I will Catherman with that cool black H1 blade and green handle to my best friend (who already got an outdoor knife from Jukka Hankala from me some time back - do you see a pattern here :p ) as he is a passionate fisherman.

But the bite is strong and I am now tempted by H1 ladybug for my keychain (it may be bit too large for that, I have not taken a decision yet). So far I am admiring the D'fly and Caly - both look super cool with that dark vinegar etch - in particular on the Caly (as the blade is not mirror polished) - the etched bladed has fine structure and looks really "dark" :) I am curios about how the dyeing with RIT will go.

When I was choosing the bigger of the two - one another contender was the Hungarian folder (looks amazing), but then I decided to go with Caly as I find the blade more practical. Another contender would have been Paramilitary (the blue one with M390 blade), but feared that it would look too "tactical" even outdoors.

TheArchitect (that is one cool user name) - it is interesting to hear opinion on the design of Spyderco knives from someone that works with design (in one way or another) professionally.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Matus wrote:Yes - it will not be easy to keep number of my Spydercos down to 2, but that it something I would like to sustain (I am not a collector type of person - I have managed to keep the numbers of medium format cameras and kitchen knives down to acceptable level - also thanks to my loving wife ;) ), but it is indeed hard to resist to 'try out' all those cool knives. So far I have ventilated that need on one more Dragonly (in ZDP) which I gave to my friend as a present after he finished his PhD.
Good luck with keeping your Spyderco's down to only 2! :D We are all enablers here, we convince people they need ALL the new models :) :D. There are so many wonderful knives to choose from!

That Dragonfly sounds like a nice gift to your friend.
In fact, in general, Spyderco's make good gifts! :D
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the bugside! :eek:
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome to the forum, Matus and TheArchitect! Sounds like you both are already off to a great start with your respective Spydie collections. Hope to see you around!
TheArchitect

Post by TheArchitect »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Matus you’ll enjoy the H1 ladybug on the keychain. I use it all the time and it’s really the perfect size for small tasks, and it disappears with the rest of the keys. It really has surprised me how functional it is considering its small size. Great knife!
25 :spyder:'s and counting
303_enfield

Post by 303_enfield »

I was a lurker for years. Been waiting for Sal to get the fix done.

Thank you Sal!

Now, what new Spydie to buy?
Always looking for the right one :)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Welcome Matus!

I have a couple of Japanese kitchen knives. Nothing super fancy, but a Kanetsugu Pro M Gyuto, and a Tojiro Shirogami utilty knife. Both great users.
Nate

Post by Nate »

303_enfield wrote:I was a lurker for years. Been waiting for Sal to get the fix done.

Thank you Sal!

Now, what new Spydie to buy?
One of each of course ;)

I like your screen name. I have a couple of old Enfields, 1918 & 1943.
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Welcome to our forums. This is a very special place I'm glad you could join!!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome from another fairly new member, great place to hang out with some very knowledgeable spydie fans.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I've been waiting a couple months too! I'm glad they finally fixed it. During the months I've been waiting I bought a Tenacious, Delica, and two Paramilitary 2s. I've got my eye on a few more knives, but now I have to decide which ones...