Manix2 Backlock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Post by Evil D »

dreadpirate wrote: Looks like I am really not the only one that feels that way. I think you can consider the lock back version a totally different knife. Just like the Shaman is not a Native 5, in my opinion, the lock back is to me not really a Manix 2. Maybe a retro Manix, and that's ok. Not a Manix 2. FWIW.

I think it's more of a lightweight version of the original than anything else. I don't hate back locks but I'd be buying this one in spite of the lock and definitely not for it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Evil D wrote:
dreadpirate wrote: Looks like I am really not the only one that feels that way. I think you can consider the lock back version a totally different knife. Just like the Shaman is not a Native 5, in my opinion, the lock back is to me not really a Manix 2. Maybe a retro Manix, and that's ok. Not a Manix 2. FWIW.

I think it's more of a lightweight version of the original than anything else. I don't hate back locks but I'd be buying this one in spite of the lock and definitely not for it.
Hmm - I did not realize the back lock version is lighter. I admit that's a plus.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

dreadpirate wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Hmm - I did not realize the back lock version is lighter. I admit that's a plus.
D is talking about the very first Manix produced, the original was a back lock, the BBL came later. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

dreadpirate wrote:
Evil D wrote:

At 4.45oz, the new backlock is way lighter than the original small backlock 83mm Manix (5.5oz) and quite a bit lighter than the non-skeletonized original Manix2 (5.1oz), but it's a little heavier than the skeletonized Manix2 sprints and exclusives (~4.15-4.25oz), pretty much negligible.

I still don't own the the new backlock M2, but I was a little turned off when I saw that it was not lighter than the sprints, but now, darned if I haven't waffled and started liking the heavier non-skeletonized M2's again. I like the feel of the heft and balance in hand, which is more toward the middle of your hand -- not so blade heavy. I never wear flimsy dress pants anyway, so I'm not concerned about a bit more weight in pocket, and now I'm just as glad that the new backlock is a hair heavier than the sprints. I think 4.45oz is a pretty good all around weight for a fairly heavy duty knife like the Manix.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Any chance we will see an XL manix 2 back lock? I carry the manix 2 back lock more than any other knife I own
vivi

Post by vivi »

Another vote for an XL version. My Manix XL is basically the only knife the sees pocket time outside of my Salts. Love the handle, blade shape etc., but prefer the backlock for a stronger self close. Also it seems this version does without the texturing along the top and bottom of the handle, which I never warmed up to.

I'd buy a couple. C95's are a PITA to track down, and lighter is always better.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Popsickle wrote:Any chance we will see an XL manix 2 back lock? I carry the manix 2 back lock more than any other knife I own
With the thicker blade also please, and in s110v, Cru-Wear, or Maxamet, and I will buy one.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Midnightrider wrote:
Popsickle wrote:Any chance we will see an XL manix 2 back lock? I carry the manix 2 back lock more than any other knife I own
With the thicker blade also please, and in s110v, Cru-Wear, or Maxamet, and I will buy one.

I would love steel choices in sprints but s30v is enough for me if that's all they release
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

Just got mine yesterday. I'm surprised by how much i like this thing! I never was a fan of the CBBL Manix 2 because of the lock, but this one is awesome.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, it is awesome. It easily became my favorite larger knife. I carry it everyday at some point.

There are a lot of us hoping for an XL version, now. I love the design of the current XL, but I do not like the lock, very much. The back lock, and the new scale design, would make it the perfect large folder. I might actually sell off a few of my non-Spydies and buy more than one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Vivi wrote:Another vote for an XL version. My Manix XL is basically the only knife the sees pocket time outside of my Salts. Love the handle, blade shape etc., but prefer the backlock for a stronger self close. Also it seems this version does without the texturing along the top and bottom of the handle, which I never warmed up to.

I'd buy a couple. C95's are a PITA to track down, and lighter is always better.
I have a C95 and really like it. It was used so much I had to get it reground a couple years ago due to how thick the Edge was getting. I'd certainly be interested in a backlock Manix XL to bring that form factor and lock back in a lighter weight package.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Might be interested in a Manix XL backlock but mainly hoping for a LW backlock since at the moment my Manix BL is still seeing a lot of competition from my Stretch 2, weight being the main issue. (and the Stretch 2 is a great blade in general)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Me too. I would love to see a LW back lock version. I am actually hoping for a LW and an XL, both.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Joris Mo wrote:Might be interested in a Manix XL backlock but mainly hoping for a LW backlock since at the moment my Manix BL is still seeing a lot of competition from my Stretch 2, weight being the main issue. (and the Stretch 2 is a great blade in general)
Thought about you and your off-the-grid friends when they had those horrific dry lightening fires in the mountains of north Portugal last week.

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-portugal- ... orest.html

Sixty-two killed while trying to escape. Hope we can assume no one you know was involved.

(not off-topic since you were planning to use your BL Manix somewhere like that :eek: )
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

DougC-3 wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:Might be interested in a Manix XL backlock but mainly hoping for a LW backlock since at the moment my Manix BL is still seeing a lot of competition from my Stretch 2, weight being the main issue. (and the Stretch 2 is a great blade in general)
Thought about you and your off-the-grid friends when they had those horrific dry lightening fires in the mountains of north Portugal last week.

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-portugal- ... orest.html

Sixty-two killed while trying to escape. Hope we can assume no one you know was involved.

(not off-topic since you were planning to use your BL Manix somewhere like that :eek: )
Thanks, no luckily slightly different area. Terrible for those involved, big problem there in general. They should get rid of the eucalyptus and pine they're growing there, burns way too good..
This year I was in Spain trying out the Manix BL and the Stretch 2 they both did very well and I still carry them almost 50/50, great blades!
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Doc Dan wrote:Me too. I would love to see a LW back lock version. I am actually hoping for a LW and an XL, both.
Deal! :D
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Also, an FRN or FRCP lightweight XL, whether BL or CBBL would certainly be interesting, though I think it would be a whole different animal from the old BL C95 and the current XL.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Keeping the XL back lock idea alive!!! I want one!
Bloody Fingerz

Post by Bloody Fingerz »

Just ordered mine from kw. Shipped same day and should arrive Friday. I haven't carried a lockback since my buck 112 when I was a kid. I purchased a native 5 recently and the fit and finish is beautiful. I find that it winds up in my pocket most of the time lately and I love using it. My manix 2's are still my favorites and I'm so looking forward to, in my mind, a manix 2/native 5 hybrid.

I'm still not sold on being linerless however. It sounds like a lot of you don't like the M2 liners but I think they're great. The raised ridges feel great and I like the look of them. I like the look of liners in general as it gives a knife a more sturdy finished appearance. I don't think or care about weight when I'm buying a g10 scaled knife. I have a m2 LW for that. I'm sure I'll get over it once I'm holding it in my hands...;)
The federal government has taken too much money from the people, too much authority from the states, and too much liberty from the Constitution.

Ronald Reagan
johnson

Post by johnson »

Got mine yesterday. The sound of the lock engaging is next level awsome and I think I made a stationary double back flip the first time I opened it :D
Attachments
manix2-1.jpg