SE Hawkbill Advice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Re: SE Hawkbill Advice

Post by jdw »

I love the idea of an XHP SE Hawkbill! That would be just about perfect. As to the VG-10 Merlin,
I bought it at an Army surplus store several years ago that carried a wide variety of Spyderco. I didn't realize that it was a different steel than others.
I guess that I just assumed that since I had one, VG-10 was the primary steel that they were produced with. Very cool to know though.
It's a great knife.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jdw wrote:I love the idea of an XHP SE Hawkbill! That would be just about perfect. As to the VG-10 Merlin,
I bought it at an Army surplus store several years ago that carried a wide variety of Spyderco. I didn't realize that it was a different steel than others.
I guess that I just assumed that since I had one, VG-10 was the primary steel that they were produced with. Very cool to know though.
It's a great knife.
Every time I use my XHP Military model something in my gut tells me that XHP would make a great blade steel for Spyderedges. We won't know that for sure unless they actually do a Spyderedged blade with XHP. But it has some properties that sort of remind me of 440V which I already know is a great blade steel for Spyderedges. And for them to do a Hawkbill in SE and XHP would be highly desirable as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah your VG-10 Merlin is not easily found on the open market. Like I said previously most of them were made with ATS-55 and like I also pointed out I've only ever seen one Merlin that had a GIN-1 blade. It makes sense though because they sure did a ton of GIN-1 Harpy models. And GIN-1 along with ATS-55 were both truly good blade steels for Spyderedged blades especially.

It seems like steels with more of a toughness property along with a high tensile strength made for good Spyderedged blades IMO.
jdw

Post by jdw »

JD Spydo wrote:
jdw wrote:I love the idea of an XHP SE Hawkbill! That would be just about perfect. As to the VG-10 Merlin,
It's a great knife.
Every time I use my XHP Military model something in my gut tells me that XHP would make a great blade steel for Spyderedges. We won't know that for sure unless they actually do a Spyderedged blade with XHP. But it has some properties that sort of remind me of 440V which I already know is a great blade steel for Spyderedges. And for them to do a Hawkbill in SE and XHP would be highly desirable as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah your VG-10 Merlin is not easily found on the open market. Like I said previously most of them were made with ATS-55 and like I also pointed out I've only ever seen one Merlin that had a GIN-1 blade. It makes sense though because they sure did a ton of GIN-1 Harpy models. And GIN-1 along with ATS-55 were both truly good blade steels for Spyderedged blades especially.

It seems like steels with more of a toughness property along with a high tensile strength made for good Spyderedged blades IMO.
I can't agree more about using XHP for SE blades in general and hawkbills in particular. I have just started using XHP steel, somehow or another I have missed it through the years, but it is quickly becoming one of my favorite all round steels. It seems to hold an edge close to the zdp knives I have and is about one thousand times easier to sharpen. It also doesn't seem as brittle but I haven't really put that theory to any kind of test yet.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

more love for the Spyderhawk today...

It's perfect as it is, IMO
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:more love for the Spyderhawk today...

It's perfect as it is, IMO
That's simple and directly to the point "Peacent" ;) Because we sometimes lose sight of the fact that there are a few newcomers that have not had the pleasure of seeing or handling one of the Spyderhawks>>whether it be the original VG-10 versions from back around 03-04 or the H-1 Spyderhawks from 09 to about 2011 or 2012 when they got discontinued. It's kind of like the old Joni Mitchell song used to say "You Don't know What You Got Till It's Gone".

AS much as I would like to see a revamped, spiced up version with G-10 scales and a newer blade steel I must admit I would be as happy as a clam if they would do some more of the H-1 Salt versions. But at some point I truly would like to see a classy version with better handle/scales and maybe even a black blade.

But just getting a run of the H-1 Salt, FRN version would truly be great news if it were to come to fruition. What the heck!!! A resurrection of the original VG-10 Spyderhawks would truly get my attention as well.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Bloke wrote:
O,just,O wrote:
Bloke wrote: It seem a little strange that so many of you use Hawkbills and here in Oz I’ve never even seen one, but that’s not so bad cause I’ll be the first kid in the street to have one. :cool:

Thanks again!
There are actually heaps of us other blokes.
On the forum her you can get in line behind Dan, Reject & myself, for starters.
O.

You ever skinned a cane toad using one?
CANE TOADS!!!! :eek: Even your late/great Aussie Brother Steve Irwin said that "CANE TOADS" could even kill one of your beloved "Salt Water Crocidiles :eek: >> I remember "Steve-O" once said that CANE TOADS had a toxin so bad that even if a Salt Water CROC ate one of them they could die within 24 hours or less :eek: I remember him saying that even handling a CANE TOAD could be fatal under certain circumstances. I loved Steve Irwin with all my heart and I miss him dearly. And he was never wrong about things like I just mentioned. Not to mention some of the super bad snakes you guys got over there in Aussie Land.

But getting back to the subject matter at hand my good "Dyad Brother" aka "O just O" knows the value of a serrated Hawkbill and knows the overall value of Spyderedged knives period>> in other words he's been a Spyderville citizen long enough to see first hand what works best. And BLOKE you will too in due time I can assure you because you are at the right place to learn about the tool value of SE Hawkbills and SE blades overall. There is great tool use in both PE & SE blades make by the GREAT SPYDER FACTORY and there are plenty of great guys here that will be glad to freely share the knowledge with you :cool:

I can't see how you guys from "Down Under" could even get through a normal day without a great edged tool>> or even two or three of them for that matter. But SE Hawkbills are truly special with the capabilities that they possess. With the challenges you guys are faced with in the "Outback" I would think that Spyderco's great cutting tools would sell better there than they do here in the Good Ol' USA. So Bloke get yourself one of Spyderco's serrated Hawkbills and you will learn very fast as to what we are talking about on this thread. Because there is no better way to learn than with "hands on" experience :)
Cane toads are horrible things! They'll kill anything that eats them for sure, and Stevo is a legend and dearly missed!
I was just having a friendly little dig at a fellow Aussie, O., he being a Queenslander and me being a New South Welshman is all. :)

JD, I'm a convert! I can't believe how much I like this little SE Hawkbill. It's awesome! I even used it to eat a feed of grilled octopus in the local mall. I've carried it since the day I got it and I ordered a Tasman last week, I can tell you I'm pretty keen to play with it. I've got my eye on an old 2" hawser coiled on a pallet ready for disposal. Ah, hahaha! :cool:

I can't see myself being without my LB SE Hawkbill anytime soon.
Thanks for the good oil and I'll report back after I get the Tasman. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Bloke wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Bloke wrote:
O,just,O wrote:
Bloke wrote: It seem a little strange that so many of you use Hawkbills and here in Oz I’ve never even seen one, but that’s not so bad cause I’ll be the first kid in the street to have one. :cool:

Thanks again!
There are actually heaps of us other blokes.
On the forum her you can get in line behind Dan, Reject & myself, for starters.
O.

You ever skinned a cane toad using one?
CANE TOADS!!!! :eek: Even your late/great Aussie Brother Steve Irwin said that "CANE TOADS" could even kill one of your beloved "Salt Water Crocidiles :eek: >> I remember "Steve-O" once said that CANE TOADS had a toxin so bad that even if a Salt Water CROC ate one of them they could die within 24 hours or less :eek: I remember him saying that even handling a CANE TOAD could be fatal under certain circumstances. I loved Steve Irwin with all my heart and I miss him dearly. And he was never wrong about things like I just mentioned. Not to mention some of the super bad snakes you guys got over there in Aussie Land.

But getting back to the subject matter at hand my good "Dyad Brother" aka "O just O" knows the value of a serrated Hawkbill and knows the overall value of Spyderedged knives period>> in other words he's been a Spyderville citizen long enough to see first hand what works best. And BLOKE you will too in due time I can assure you because you are at the right place to learn about the tool value of SE Hawkbills and SE blades overall. There is great tool use in both PE & SE blades make by the GREAT SPYDER FACTORY and there are plenty of great guys here that will be glad to freely share the knowledge with you :cool:

I can't see how you guys from "Down Under" could even get through a normal day without a great edged tool>> or even two or three of them for that matter. But SE Hawkbills are truly special with the capabilities that they possess. With the challenges you guys are faced with in the "Outback" I would think that Spyderco's great cutting tools would sell better there than they do here in the Good Ol' USA. So Bloke get yourself one of Spyderco's serrated Hawkbills and you will learn very fast as to what we are talking about on this thread. Because there is no better way to learn than with "hands on" experience :)
Cane toads are horrible things! They'll kill anything that eats them for sure, and Stevo is a legend and dearly missed!
I was just having a friendly little dig at a fellow Aussie, O., he being a Queenslander and me being a New South Welshman is all. :)

JD, I'm a convert! I can't believe how much I like this little SE Hawkbill. It's awesome! I even used it to eat a feed of grilled octopus in the local mall. I've carried it since the day I got it and I ordered a Tasman last week, I can tell you I'm pretty keen to play with it. I've got my eye on an old 2" hawser coiled on a pallet ready for disposal. Ah, hahaha! :cool:

I can't see myself being without my LB SE Hawkbill anytime soon.
Thanks for the good oil and I'll report back after I get the Tasman. ;)
I'm sure you'll love the Tasman, it's one of the very few knives I have two of.
I was so impressed after two weeks of EDC that I just bought a second one

As crazy as it sounds I'm carrying these both today, it's raining heavily and they're so easy to carry and lightweight. ;)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ThePeacent wrote: Image

As crazy as it sounds I'm carrying these both today, it's raining heavily and they're so easy to carry and lightweight. ;)
Yeah, a little crazy I s'pose. ;)

I'm fairly amazed by the LB's cutting ability and can only imagine how a Tasman may cut.

It's also my introduction to H1 and so far so good. I've never sharpened an SE or H1 before and I have cut a lot of stuff with this little knife so I stropped it.
I used a clean stiff strip of cow leather and used green Dialux to load the 4mm thick cut edge and same on the belly side so I had a 90deg corner strop, if that makes sense? Anyhow, it worked well I thought on the ground side and the flat side I used clean leather. I think I may like H1. :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The TASMAN is an excellent selection to start out with. I like that size range along with the fact that it's better to start out with something you can control easier. I would not recommend starting out with the likes of a Spyderhawk if you haven't had previous experience with some type of Hawkbill blade or at least have had a lot of experience with tactical and outdoor type blades.

Again the HARPY is my personal favorite in that size range but if you're in a salt water,desert or some type of harsh environment then you just can't go wrong with a TASMAN. One other very important base to cover is to get yourself some high quality sharpening equipment. Because no knife is any good unless it is sharp.

And BLOKE being you are in a rugged environment in the "outback" I would highly recommend some type of a sheath as well. It's so easy to lose a knife in those types of environments. I've now got belt sheaths for all my EDC folders for harsh outdoor use. Keep us posted.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Just a heads up to all those interested,
today just popped on a popular auction site a BIN Spyderhawk Salt, Serrated Edge, for a (In my experience and opinion) very reasonable price.

I don't think it'll last long, just wanted everyone to know!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:Just a heads up to all those interested,
today just popped on a popular auction site a BIN Spyderhawk Salt, Serrated Edge, for a (In my experience and opinion) very reasonable price.

Yeah it won't last the remainder of the day I can assure anyone who is genuinely interested. For any NIB Spyderco Hawkbill you can be assured that it will be a decent investment>> especially with the Spyderhawk model because they are always in short supply. If most of the knife using public knew how great of an outdoor tool that the SE Spyderhawk is it would have never been deleted from the main line up.

I would just love to see what one of the original VG-10 blue handled PE versions would be going for now a days :eek: >> Yeah it would be a bunch I can assure all of you ;) .
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JD Spydo wrote:
ThePeacent wrote:Just a heads up to all those interested,

Yeah it won't last the remainder of the day I can assure anyone who is genuinely interested. For any NIB Spyderco Hawkbill you can be assured that it will be a decent investment>> especially with the Spyderhawk model because they are always in short supply. If most of the knife using public knew how great of an outdoor tool that the SE Spyderhawk is it would have never been deleted from the main line up.

I would just love to see what one of the original VG-10 blue handled PE versions would be going for now a days :eek: >> Yeah it would be a bunch I can assure all of you ;) .
Yeah at that price i couldn't pass it up. I can't speak highly of such a model and then let it slip through my hands. I've been looking for a back up for awhile.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well VASH if you picked it up at a decent/modest price there is no way you can go wrong with that purchase at all IMO. Like I said earlier I would love to see what one of the original VG-10, blue handled, PE Spyderhawks would go for now with a full 7 day auction. There would truly be some serious bidders on that one for sure. If a guy did a "buy it now" even on an SE, H-1 Spyderhawk he was being very generous or needing money desperately.

I just hope that a full SE, H-1 Spyderhawk model will be back in full production at some point. And if they would market it in the right places it will sell well this next time I can assure you.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I currently own SE Spyderhawk(s) but no PE one, what'd be the price to get one of those, any idea in case one pops up somewhere? I might be tempted if I find one somewhere, but don't want to go too crazy
I gave the heads up specially because I bought my backup Spyderhawk from that very same dealer, (was way more expensive back then, though) and had a good experience with shipping and handling, etc.

Glad you could get it on time! They usually last 24hrs or less.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:I currently own SE Spyderhawk(s) but no PE one, what'd be the price to get one of those, any idea in case one pops up somewhere? I might be tempted if I find one somewhere, but don't want to go too crazy
I gave the heads up specially because I bought my backup Spyderhawk from that very same dealer
Me too "Peacent" :o I traded the one PE, H-1 Spyderhawk I had and I'm now deeply regretting it because in the last 8 months I've been trying to replace it with no luck whatsoever :( I got a really good trade out of it thinking that it wouldn't be too hard to replace >> only to find out that the PE is a bit tougher to find now than the Spyderedged version is :confused:

Well at least I had enough sense not to trade my blue handled, VG-10 PE Spyderhawk because those bad boys are about as rare as a sincerely honest politician :eek: >> or maybe a hen's tooth :rolleyes: But in the future I'm going to really be a lot more discreet on what I put up for trade because some of these hard to find Hawkbills are almost impossible to replace unless you're willing to pay three times what they're really worth. Another hard lesson in life of a Spyderville citizen :rolleyes:

But again my congrats go to VASH for nailing that one :cool:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:The TASMAN is an excellent selection to start out with. I like that size range along with the fact that it's better to start out with something you can control easier. I would not recommend starting out with the likes of a Spyderhawk if you haven't had previous experience with some type of Hawkbill blade or at least have had a lot of experience with tactical and outdoor type blades.

Again the HARPY is my personal favorite in that size range but if you're in a salt water,desert or some type of harsh environment then you just can't go wrong with a TASMAN. One other very important base to cover is to get yourself some high quality sharpening equipment. Because no knife is any good unless it is sharp.

And BLOKE being you are in a rugged environment in the "outback" I would highly recommend some type of a sheath as well. It's so easy to lose a knife in those types of environments. I've now got belt sheaths for all my EDC folders for harsh outdoor use. Keep us posted.
My long awaited Tasman arrived today in good order and the box wasn't even crushed. :)
It's light and sharp and has a plain edge! Ah, hahaha! I wonder sometimes? I though the silly buggers sent the wrong knife so I checked the order and I got exactly ..... what I ordered! :eek: Doesn't matter, doesn't matter! :rolleyes:

It's a nice enough knife though and it turned the packaging to confetti, no worries. I'll definitely find use for it and even though it takes up some pocket space, it's super light and flat and carries easy enough in a pair of shorts so I'll give it a run next sail. Still wish it was a SE so I'll buy one soon enough. ;)

Three weeks update, I've had my Ladybug HB SE in my pocket since the day I got it and I've flogged it! I don't know if it's un breakable, but the lock flexes! :D Love this little thing! I reckon it's without a doubt the handiest little knife I own and the only SE! Ah, hahaha! I crushed the edge near the tip a little cutting heavy duty white cable ties, but it wasn't too bad and an easy fix and fair to say so far I like how tough H1 appears to be. :cool: