Tanto Tuesday Anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Tanto Tuesday Anyone?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

If you spend any time on social media you will see that Manix Monday is a thing, titanium/tanto Tuesday is a thing, wharncliffe Wednesday is a thing, tanto/titanium Thursday is sort of a thing, framelock/flipper Friday is a thing etc. Well unfortunately for me I don't really get to participate in Tanto Tuesday because Spyderco doesn't make very many if any Tanto blades.

I know that this is a silly way to justify a Tanto blade but here we are. I know the argument is that Spyderco makes knives for cutting and tantos aren't the best blade shape for that. Maybe it's not. But I've seen a few non slicey type blades come from Spyderco lately so why not a Tanto?

Obviously the Lum Tanto folder comes to mind immediately but maybe Spyderco isn't interested in producing more of those. How about a new design? Something similar in its timeless classic lines. Is there anything in the works? Does this interest you?

Thanks
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Xplorer

Re: Tanto Tuesday Anyone?

Post by Xplorer »

I'm with you Liquid Cobra! The blade shape we commonly refer to as a Tanto blade is something I'd like to see more of in the Spyderco line. The shape is one that I have found to be very useful and practical as an EDC. The base section of the blade takes care of slicing and shaving type cuts, and the forward portion of the blade is great for puncture cuts and works like a chisel for scraping as well. I didn't have any idea how much I would appreciate this design for EDC purposes until I started to carry one.
I carry Spydercos 99% of the time (I usually have a Spyderco in my left pocket even if I carry another knife in my right) but since buying this folder I am finding myself enjoying the blade shape greatly and wishing I had a Spyderco tanto option in my rotation. I'd love to see Spyderco produce something of a similar size and shape to this McNees Dixon.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Tantos are so common with other makers. I can imagine that it's one of the easiest blade shapes to make. I think there is room for some tantos but I would want them to be unique and interesting. I'm less interested in a straight up tanto.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I'm up for a true Japanese tanto, ala Lum tanto, not just a chisel grind
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd like to see a modern interpretation of a tanto that actually sliced well and still had a robust tip. Lots of makers make tantos because of the whole "hard use" trend, but they're little more than sharpened pry bars and they end up making poor knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Evil D wrote:I'd like to see a modern interpretation of a tanto that actually sliced well and still had a robust tip. Lots of makers make tantos because of the whole "hard use" trend, but they're little more than sharpened pry bars and they end up making poor knives.
Spyderco should make a production version of this Southard/Shirogorov collaboration.

Though if they want to do just a straight up Southard design, I wouldn't say no to something like this.

-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Lum tanto run in HAP40 and micarta (antique ivory is best, but I'm fine with black Sal ;) )
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is another area where not doing a distal taper on a FFG would be a possible solution. This would keep the tip thick while making the main grind of the blade slice better, then the tip can be ground into a tanto and still be thick.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

The valotton is considered a "modified tanto." I'd love to see another run of the lum tanto folder but would also like to see something new as well.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Id be interested in a tanto if the tip isn't the very stylized, straight kissaki.

I find tantos that have a subtle and rounded transition from the main edge to the tip much more attractive.

The McNees Dixon pictures above is a pretty good example. Another I like is the Curry Myrmidon:

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hmm tough call. I think I'm up for all of the above. A true Tanto is definitely more interesting to me though. I remember Sal saying that there was only one guy in golden that could sharpen Tanto grinds on the Lum. It must be pretty difficult.

Brad southard's tantos look great I must say.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
animportant

Post by animportant »

NoFair wrote:Lum tanto run in HAP40 and micarta (antique ivory is best, but I'm fine with black Sal ;) )
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Omg this would be a win!