SE Hawkbill Advice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yablanowitz

Re: SE Hawkbill Advice

Post by yablanowitz »

In the realm of traditional knives, hawkbills are commonly known as pruning knives. I think the pattern got its start in the garden, and has been used in fruit harvesting for centuries, usually sharpened to a very coarse edge with a round file. I've never seen an example with a serrated edge until Spyderco came along.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I've listened to JD, Lance, and Evil over the years and don't regret the combinations H1, SE, and hawkbill I've acquired.

Next up for me is a Spyderhawk Salt (somehow, somewhere) or maybe a new Spyderhawk run in LC200N (hint, hint).
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

yablanowitz wrote:In the realm of traditional knives, hawkbills are commonly known as pruning knives. I think the pattern got its start in the garden, and has been used in fruit harvesting for centuries, usually sharpened to a very coarse edge with a round file. I've never seen an example with a serrated edge until Spyderco came along.
Many thanks!

Something else I didn't know! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

wrdwrght wrote:I've listened to JD, Lance, and Evil over the years and don't regret the combinations H1, SE, and hawkbill I've acquired.

Next up for me is a Spyderhawk Salt (somehow, somewhere) or maybe a new Spyderhawk run in LC200N (hint, hint).
I've only been here a little while but it hasn't taken too long to work out who to ask for advice. The brothers you mention above are a wealth of knowledge as are so many others and I'm extremely grateful that they are so freely giving of that knowledge and their time. :)
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Another great fan of the serrated hawkbill.
Had a Tasman Salt as working knife at my former job as a flexoghraphic printer of various foils.
That curved blade in full spyderedge slided through various webbing, tie rips and pallet bands like nobodies business :eek: :D
Highly recommended.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:I've listened to JD, Lance, and Evil over the years and don't regret the combinations H1, SE, and hawkbill I've acquired.

I'll second the suggestion of a Sprint Run of the Spyderhawk in LC200N ( in SE of course :D ) but I would still like to see a Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle. Yeah It is getting tougher every day to find an H-1 SE or even PE Spyderhawk>> believe it or not I've actually encountered more trade offers with the older, first generation VG-10 Spyderhawk lately. Forget the blue handled PE VG-10 Spyderhawk because I haven't seen one of them up for sale or trade in at least 3 years.

It's also funny that the mistaken handle "ENDURAHAWK" seems to be easier to get than an H-1 Salt version ( SE or PE). I've yet to chat with anyone who has tested LC200N in an extreme salt water environment or any other harsh environment for that matter. But there must have been a valid reason that Spyderco made the TUSK model in LC200N.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Bloke wrote: It seem a little strange that so many of you use Hawkbills and here in Oz I’ve never even seen one, but that’s not so bad cause I’ll be the first kid in the street to have one. :cool:

Thanks again!
There are actually heaps of us other blokes.
On the forum her you can get in line behind Dan, Reject & myself, for starters.
O.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

O,just,O wrote:
Bloke wrote: It seem a little strange that so many of you use Hawkbills and here in Oz I’ve never even seen one, but that’s not so bad cause I’ll be the first kid in the street to have one. :cool:

Thanks again!
O.
Ah, hahaha!

No way all you blokes live in my street.....do you? :confused:

You ever skinned a cane toad using one?
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Dan might live close by or even in your street, & no toad skinning here.
O.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spydutch wrote:Another great fan of the serrated hawkbill.
Had a Tasman Salt as working knife at my former job as a flexoghraphic printer of various foils.
That curved blade in full spyderedge slided through various webbing, tie rips and pallet bands like nobodies business :eek: :D
Highly recommended.
SPYDUTCH my friend!! Where have you been hiding with all these threads concerning Spyderedged folders and fixed blades?? How have you been able to sleep at nights knowing that we are talking about your main passion which are Spyderco blades with teeth in them :cool: I've been meaning to ask you if you ever got a Spyderhawk in SE or not. Hopefully you got one of the H-1 Salt SE Spyderhawks>> because truthfully SPYDUTCH I couldn't imagine you not having one :D

Hey ol' buddy I wanted you to know that I've been using the **** out of the C-45 stainless SE, ATS-55 RESCUE model that I got from you a few years back. I know you intended for that bad boy to be used and Brother it's getting a lot of hard use here in the past two months especially. Hope all is well with you my friend and I'll be on the lookout for an SE Spyderhawk if you don't already have one. It's not a Hawkbill and I don't mean to de-rail this great thread but it is as good of a cutting machine as the SE Hawkbill Spyders are.

For all of you who missed the "Stainless handled RESCUE ATS-55 SE models" because they were before most forum members time ( late 90s/early 2000s) then I highly urge all of you to get one of these and use it like you're mad at it :rolleyes: . It's by far the best of all of Spyderco's great sheepsfoot, RESCUE models IMO>> with the possible exception of the sheepsfoot blade on the C-44 Dyad.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Like others in this thread, I have recommended SE hawkbills for years. I loved my ATS-55 Merlin and the H1 Spyderhawk is better IMO. Tasman is probably a better size for most and still made.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

My little Ladybug Salt SE Hawkbill arrived today and I'm truly amazed! :cool:

I took it out to the backyard and cut all sorts of plants and sticks after I shredded the packaging it came in. I took it with me the long way via a nature reserve to the shops and cut all sorts there too. I bought beloved wife some flowers and I trimmed them as well. Tomorrow I'll take it to work and cut some cordage and maybe some rope.

This thing is awesome! :D

Thanks for all the input fellows! :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Surfingringo wrote:, for EDC type tasks, I prefer a reverse "s" like the lil Matriarch.
Can you explain why, bro? I can't see the use of the hump in the middle.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Jazz wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:, for EDC type tasks, I prefer a reverse "s" like the lil Matriarch.
Because the work I typically do with a hawkbill is with the last half inch of tip so I can do that equally well with a reverse s. The bit of belly back by the heel though gives me the ability to cut things on a flat surface (even if I have to use the corner of the table or surface). As an example, I often use my knife to trim the tag lines of fishing line on the sidewall of my kayak. The task is almost impossible with a hb but the flat section at the heel of a reverse s works just fine. Also, it is a small area of edge that is parallel with to the handle that I can use to do push cuts into something in my other hand. (think whittling a notch into a piece of wood).
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Surfingringo wrote:
Jazz wrote:
Because the work I typically do with a hawkbill is with the last half inch of tip so I can do that equally well with a reverse s. The bit of belly back by the heel though gives me the ability to cut things on a flat surface (even if I have to use the corner of the table or surface). As an example, I often use my knife to trim the tag lines of fishing line on the sidewall of my kayak. The task is almost impossible with a hb but the flat section at the heel of a reverse s works just fine. Also, it is a small area of edge that is parallel with to the handle that I can use to do push cuts into something in my other hand. (think whittling a notch into a piece of wood).
I understand. Thanks for the reply, Lance. Makes perfect sense.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I can’t believe I’ve gone thus far and only just cottoned on to SE Hawkbills. I’d have to say this little Ladybug is the most versatile cutting implement I’ve ever used. I’m truly amazed by what it can do! :)

I was very happy to carry a Manbug daily and the little knife served me exceptionally well, but this tiny yellow terror leaves it for dead.

In the few days I’ve had it I’ve cut more “stuff” than with any other knife I’ve ever owned for the same amount of time. I won’t bore you with a list, but I will say I’ve cut anything and everything I possibly could on a Naval Base, many times over.

This is the best value for money knife I own and fair to say I’m now a convert.
With Christmas around the corner I’m about to order half a dozen to give as gifts and a Harpy and Tasman for myself. :cool:

Thanks again for all your input fellows!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Tasman is next, of course. Can't resist after trying the SE Hawkbills,

but beware of the addiction, 'cause then you'll want to upgrade, and go bigger ;)

Not that there is a problem with that, though :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
O,just,O wrote:

Thanks again!
O.

You ever skinned a cane toad using one?
CANE TOADS!!!! :eek: Even your late/great Aussie Brother Steve Irwin said that "CANE TOADS" could even kill one of your beloved "Salt Water Crocidiles :eek: >> I remember "Steve-O" once said that CANE TOADS had a toxin so bad that even if a Salt Water CROC ate one of them they could die within 24 hours or less :eek: I remember him saying that even handling a CANE TOAD could be fatal under certain circumstances. I loved Steve Irwin with all my heart and I miss him dearly. And he was never wrong about things like I just mentioned. Not to mention some of the super bad snakes you guys got over there in Aussie Land.

But getting back to the subject matter at hand my good "Dyad Brother" aka "O just O" knows the value of a serrated Hawkbill and knows the overall value of Spyderedged knives period>> in other words he's been a Spyderville citizen long enough to see first hand what works best. And BLOKE you will too in due time I can assure you because you are at the right place to learn about the tool value of SE Hawkbills and SE blades overall. There is great tool use in both PE & SE blades make by the GREAT SPYDER FACTORY and there are plenty of great guys here that will be glad to freely share the knowledge with you :cool:

I can't see how you guys from "Down Under" could even get through a normal day without a great edged tool>> or even two or three of them for that matter. But SE Hawkbills are truly special with the capabilities that they possess. With the challenges you guys are faced with in the "Outback" I would think that Spyderco's great cutting tools would sell better there than they do here in the Good Ol' USA. So Bloke get yourself one of Spyderco's serrated Hawkbills and you will learn very fast as to what we are talking about on this thread. Because there is no better way to learn than with "hands on" experience :)
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have a VG-10 Merlin that has served me extremely well. It is a great work around the yard, weekend blade.
I am not a big fan of H1 steel but that may be because I live in an arid, land locked state
and don't require as much corrosion resistance as some.
Attachments
Merlin.jpg
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jdw wrote:I have a VG-10 Merlin that has served me extremely well. It is a great work around the yard, weekend blade.
I am not a big fan of H1 steel but that may be because I live in an arid, land locked state
and don't require as much corrosion resistance as some.
Where the heck did you find a VG-10 Merlin??? Many people here don't realize that a VG-10 Merlin is truly kind of a rare bird so to speak. I've owned many of them over the years and all the ones I had were ATS-55 blade steel. I had a very good friend who got a VG-10 Merlin off of Ebay a few years back but you don't hear of them very often IMO. I have also seen one GIN-1 Merlin but it's been a long time since I seen that one ( 2005 or thereabout). I would love to have a VG-10, SE Merlin for my tackle box if nothing else.

Now I'm not a big fan of H-1 blades in PE but in Spyderedge I've had pretty decent luck with them overall. It's funny that H-1 ranked so high with Spyderco when they tested it in H-1. But you can't even go wrong with VG-10 in my book. The Merlin is basically a TASMAN that doesn't have H-1 blade steel.

I'm still very much wanting to see how XHP steel would work in full SE and I would love for them to do an SE Hawkbill with it too.