MT24P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with Maxamet

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bloke

Re: MT24P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with Maxamet

Post by Bloke »

MacLaren wrote:
Bloke wrote:
Got to love a bit of Aussie hardwood! Some old timers here reckon you'll double edge retention just by fitting some to your knife! ;)
No doubt.....that Aussie hardwood....
We don't really have any Softwood and I s'pose I was a little surprised to see Aussie Hardwood scales here. :cool:

We have some very nice hardwood and you can buy rough-hewn bookend scale size pieces for about $AU15 on eBay AU. :)

There's another camp of old timers too, and they'll tell you, you don't even need a knife as long as you had a chunk of...... Aussie Hardwood! ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Bloke wrote:
Got to love a bit of Aussie hardwood! Some old timers here reckon you'll double edge retention just by fitting some to your knife! ;)
We don't really have any Softwood and I s'pose I was a little surprised to see Aussie Hardwood scales here. :cool:

We have some very nice hardwood and you can buy rough-hewn bookend scale size pieces for about $AU15 on eBay AU. :)

There's another camp of old timers too, and they'll tell you, you don't even need a knife as long as you had a chunk of...... Aussie Hardwood! ;)
Ive heard Aussie hardwood makes our Eastern U.S. Hickory look like softwood lol....
I'd love to visit the land down under sometime.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MacLaren wrote:
Bloke wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Bloke wrote:

Ive heard Aussie hardwood makes our Eastern U.S. Hickory look like softwood lol....
We'd love to have you! :)

I'm not sure about Eastern Hickory but I have Hickory hammer, hatchet and axe handles and our very hard timbers are much harder.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Bloke wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Bloke wrote:

We'd love to have you! :)

I'm not sure about Eastern Hickory but I have Hickory hammer, hatchet and axe handles and our very hard timbers are much harder.
Thank you! :)
I doubt I'll ever get there, but would surely love to see it someday.
NJMS

Post by NJMS »

Bloke wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Bloke wrote:

Lol you've picked that to a tee, .... But the hardwood scale blanks only cost $14.25 AUD from about 80k up the road from me in NSW. I was quite surprised to find nice timber so simply on "thebay". I'm already looking at different timbers for the next Mule Team.

Anyone even know what sort of timetable we might be looking at for the MT23 to be released seeing it was skipped.
NJMS

Post by NJMS »

How's everyone finding the Maxamet after a bit of use. I'm enjoying mine. I have to say I believe it touches up on the sharpmaker brown rods a little easier than S110V. This touch up took all of 45 sec with a few double passes on the flats and about 10 passes alternating sides on the points. 3 alternative swipes on a 1.5 micron diamond paste leather strop, swade side up. It was sharp prior to the touch up but not this refined.
Attachments
DSC_1675.JPG
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Great work, mate!

I just fattened a pair of bookend Coolabah burl slabs for a handle and looking forward to putting it all together and playing with it.
I was going to use ivory paper micarta for a set of detachable scales but all the talk of Aussie hardwood......! :)

Looks like it gets plenty sharp! :cool:
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I'm finally almost done putting handles on my Maxamet Mules! I have a couple of other handles I'm working on that kept me from getting to these as quickly as I had planned. I'll post a better shot of each one after I finish all of the little details on them later today.
One is black G10 with green Ctek, green and white G10 liners, Ti pins and silver lanyard tube.
The other is olive G10 with silver weave CF, a GID inlay, black and white G10 liners, Ti pins and silver lanyard tube.
:spyder: :D :spyder:
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Xplorer, those look great!
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

rodloos wrote:Xplorer, those look great!
Thanks rodloos! I appreciate the kind words. :)
swigert

Post by swigert »

Xplorer wrote:
rodloos wrote:Xplorer, those look great!
Thanks rodloos! I appreciate the kind words. :)
Those are unbelievable
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Very nice work as usual Chad, you truly are an artist :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
NJMS

Post by NJMS »

Xplorer those scales look amazing.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

swigert wrote: Those are unbelievable
farnorthdan wrote:Very nice work as usual Chad, you truly are an artist :)
Wow thanks guys! You're kind words are truly appreciated! :)

Dan...Yours is taking longer because it's more complicated...but MAN....your Mule is going to be hard to part with it when it's done... :D :D

Best regards!
Chad
swigert

Post by swigert »

Xplorer wrote:

Dan...Yours is taking longer because it's more complicated...but MAN....your Mule is going to be hard to part with it when it's done... :D :D

Best regards!
Chad
I may need to go grab one of country knives old stock mules and send it out to you.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Xplorer wrote:

Best regards!
Chad
Your an awesome friend Chad and generous beyond belief, you just take your time and don't worry about me or a timeline at all buddy I am in no hurry, I know that you are a perfectionist and how important it is to you that you are satisfied with the end product. I would say that after seeing some of the build pictures you have been sending that its going to be mind bendingly beautiful. Its amazing to see you progress as a craftsman, seems like every new piece you show us is just a little more refined than the last.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

NJMS wrote:Xplorer those scales look amazing.
Thank you very much NJMS! That's very nice of you :) .
farnorthdan wrote: ...seems like every new piece you show us is just a little more refined than the last.

Thank you for the compliment Dan! Usually when I when I start another Mule handle I think, "I want to make the best looking Mule ever made.. :D " but, turns out... it's harder to do than you might think. :o One day though...one day...(maybe :p )
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

NJMS wrote:How's everyone finding the Maxamet after a bit of use. I'm enjoying mine. I have to say I believe it touches up on the sharpmaker brown rods a little easier than S110V. This touch up took all of 45 sec with a few double passes on the flats and about 10 passes alternating sides on the points. 3 alternative swipes on a 1.5 micron diamond paste leather strop, swade side up. It was sharp prior to the touch up but not this refined.
I'm lovin' this stuff! I gave mine a workout the last couple of days, tearing out old underlayment (glued down with mastic adhesive) and some drywall work (never know where those nails are going to be) and it has held up much better than S90V. It sharpens up quickly on the DMT diafolds, much more easily than I expected. If they haven't sold out by next payday, I'll have to see if they'll sell me a couple more.

I think it's time to start asking for a Maxamet Millie. :D
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Xplorer wrote:I'm finally almost done putting handles on my Maxamet Mules! I have a couple of other handles I'm working on that kept me from getting to these as quickly as I had planned. I'll post a better shot of each one after I finish all of the little details on them later today.
One is black G10 with green Ctek, green and white G10 liners, Ti pins and silver lanyard tube.
The other is olive G10 with silver weave CF, a GID inlay, black and white G10 liners, Ti pins and silver lanyard tube.
:spyder: :D :spyder:
Love your work!
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Bloke wrote:Love your work!
Thank you Bloke! I appreciate that! :)