Police 4 Discussion/Speculation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Able Dog

Police 4 Discussion/Speculation

Post by Able Dog »

I will amend this OP to include any bombshells from Sal regarding the Police 4.

Sal has mentioned the Police 4 a few times, and while we haven't seen it yet (as it is still in the prototyping R&D process) I think there is no harm is starting a thread for our discussion.

Here we can day dream, share our desires, and have a single thread to discuss this upcoming model.

What Sal has said thus far:
sal wrote:The Police 4 has an interesting steel.

sal
sal wrote:Thin G-10 scale - mid lock-back - slight blade shape change - non Japanese steel.

sal
Thanks SpyderNut
Sal wrote: Finished the design and I'm waiting on a prototype.

The "3" was OK, but I thought to improve it more to my liking.

sal
sal wrote:Hi Palonej,

The material has already been selected. Prototype tested and we're waiting for production.

sal
sal wrote:I designed the original Police model ("PIG") as well as subsequent versions. As I evolved and learned more, my designs have also evolved. Eric and I design for you and your preferences, sometimes for particular market needs (eg: H1, Lc200N) and sometimes for ourselves. The Police 4 is what I would like in a large high function folder. I believe that some of you will agree with the adjustments and materials. If the platform is well received, variations are possible.

sal
sal wrote:We approved of the most recent prototype sample and we're waiting on production. When we receive a production sample, I can show what we're doing. I'm guessing 6 months.

sal
Last edited by Able Dog on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
SpyderNut

Re: Police 4 Discussion/Speculation

Post by SpyderNut »

I found this little tid-bit regarding the Police 4 in Sal's Casual Bombshell thread (dated 5/18/16):
sal wrote:Finished the design and I'm waiting on a prototype.

The "3" was OK, but I thought to improve it more to my liking.

sal
My biggest question is whether the upcoming Police 4 will have a choil... or not. I'm kind of hoping it will steer true to the original Police and go without a 50/50 choil. Of course, I'll likely look long and hard at getting one regardless... :rolleyes: :D

Good thread, OP. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I'd be fine if the 4 ends up looking more like the original Police i.e. sans choil. However, I think that would be more of a regression than progress. My impression is that the 4 will be a further evolution of what the 3 set out to do.

Not sure what left Sal wanting more regarding the 3.

I'm really curious about what the "interesting" steel is. I'd like to think it will be something sufficiently out of left field for Sal to use that word.
Last edited by Able Dog on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

swigert

Post by swigert »

I'm hoping Sal chimes in with more details. I feel like this could be one we see come out of nowhere and arrive.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have almost bought the 3 many times, but have yet to do so. Something about it kept me from it. I do like it much better than the original Police model though. It is like an Endura on growth hormones.

What I hope is that the choil will be gone and the steel be something like M390 or S110V. I do not dare hope for a non-stainless as that would not be in keeping with the knife's mission. Some police officer asked that it be given navy blue scales to match the uniform. I would like to see navy blue scales anyway. But black is good, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

In light of the awesome breaking news of the gray Maxamet LWT Manix, I am terribly curious if the new Police 4 will feature Maxamet also...
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

SpyderNut wrote:In light of the awesome breaking news of the gray Maxamet LWT Manix, I am terribly curious if the new Police 4 will feature Maxamet also...
That would certainly be "interesting". And woah, a Maxamet Manix 2 LWT?!

Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I am hoping the Police comes in AEB-L or RWL-34...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

If this was designed for working cops, it would come in the most corrosion resistant stainless steel, as well as have the best edge retention, and easiest to sharpen. Just kidding about the ease of sharpening. No cop I know ever sharpens their knife. :) They just wait till someone is dumb enough to bring in a Sharp Maker to the station and bug them till they sharpen it for them. Lol.

Cops are notorious for neglecting their equipment. This is why I originally said S110V would be ideal. Although 204P looks like it's very corrosion resistant too and would be an excellent choice.

I always thought the smooth stainless was tough to get a good handle on when your hands were wet. As much as I like a G10 handle, a FRN handle would actually be ideal, as it's lighter, and would reduce the price. I think this is why you see so many Endures and Delicas in uniform pants pockets instead of the actual Police model.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm very interested to see the changes. I've got a numbered Police 3 from the original run nearly a decade ago. It's a very nice knife. Carries extremely well for its size because of how thin it is, the ergonomics are top notch, and the cutting performance is superior to most Spydercos.

I wonder what Sal has in store outside of the different blade steel?
levs18

Post by levs18 »

I'm very excited for this. I hope the g-10 model has the same swedge/tip as on the stainless model. I really did not like the swedge on the police 3.
sal

Post by sal »

The long term plan is for an FRN version which gives us many options at more affordable costs. I believe the Yen will remain strong and bringing the models into more affordable offerings with more variety of steel, color, grinds, etc becomes more feasible.

Like the G-10 Stretch 3, this is a pattern test.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

levs18 wrote:I'm very excited for this. I hope the g-10 model has the same swedge/tip as on the stainless model. I really did not like the swedge on the police 3.
Hi Levs18,

Welcome to our forum.

The first model will be full flat. Performance of the blade is first, over appearance. Once the pattern is nailed down, other options can be considered. This is a more modern version than the original Police model, which was essentially a Rescue model with a tip. The original swedge on the first Police Model ("PIG") was designed to drop below the handle scale when folded, so the owner could, if they chose, sharpen the false edge for a "dagger" style tip and not have the sharp upper edge exposed when folded.

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:The long term plan is for an FRN version which gives us many options at more affordable costs. I believe the Yen will remain strong and bringing the models into more affordable offerings with more variety of steel, color, grinds, etc becomes more feasible.

sal
Yen ...?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Elena,

Sorry, the Yen is the name of the Japanese dollar. The Police models are made in Japan and the value of the local money always significantly affects the costs.

A current problem with money exchange rates is the low Yuan (approx 6 - 1) which means that knives made in China are significantly less expensive than knives made in US, Europe, Japan and Taiwan, which are closer to the value of the dollar. It makes it very difficult for countries manufacturing outside of China to compete on a cost basis.

Dollar - US
Yen - Japan
Yuan - China
Taiwan dollar - Taiwan
Euro - Europe.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The big question is when can we expect to see this knife?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

We approved of the most recent prototype sample and we're waiting on production. When we receive a production sample, I can show what we're doing. I'm guessing 6 months.

sal
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

sal wrote:The long term plan is for an FRN version which gives us many options at more affordable costs. I believe the Yen will remain strong and bringing the models into more affordable offerings with more variety of steel, color, grinds, etc becomes more feasible.

sal
Sal, so the Police 4 will largely be a further refinement of the blade shape/ergonomics of the 3? Nothing too radical I hope.

With the long term plan being the introduction of an FRN model, would the G10 variant be kept in production at that point?

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Able Dog,

No major changes, just refinement, like the Stretch 2. Don't know what steels will be used in the future. VG-10 is certainly possible to remain, but we're also trying to get more Japanese models made with other steels.

sal
levs18

Post by levs18 »

Sal,

Thanks for the welcome and for the info. The ability to sharpen that false edge was one of the things I loved. I'm looking forward to seeing the FRN options for sure though. I'm even going to hold out some hope that you can offer a version with a wave/Emerson opener. I don't know if that blade style will allow for it, but a guy can dream.

For what it's worth, I also think that the yen will remain strong. As you probably know, BREXIT had a rather significant impact on the yen and the Japanese government is struggling with how to balance things out. Here's an interesting article on the aftermath: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7d357eaa-5591 ... z4JK1RfpGJ. I'm not sure the degree to witch this impacts Spyderco's partners, but I hope it's favorably for you.

Thanks again!