2003 Spyderhawk VG10 C77SBK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ROFJ

2003 Spyderhawk VG10 C77SBK

Post by ROFJ »

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out information about this knife I have. its a 2003 Spyderhawk in VG10. the blade and the body are flawless, never used but I dont have the box. Let me know what you think and if you can help me figure out what this thing might be worth. I would love to find a new home for it.
Attachments
IMG_0247.JPG
IMG_0247.JPG (45.16 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
IMG_0246.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG (43.45 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0245.JPG (46.17 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
IMG_0244.JPG
IMG_0244.JPG (55.29 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
yablanowitz

Re: 2003 Spyderhawk VG10 C77SBK

Post by yablanowitz »

I can't tell from your photo, is the logo on the handle right side up, upside down or does it say "ENDURA"? So far, the right side up Spyderhawk has eluded me. I have the EnduraHawk, the upside down Spyderhawk and the Salts. You can see what I'm talking about in this picture.

ROFJ

Post by ROFJ »

yablanowitz wrote:I can't tell from your photo, is the logo on the handle right side up, upside down or does it say "ENDURA"? So far, the right side up Spyderhawk has eluded me. I have the EnduraHawk, the upside down Spyderhawk and the Salts. You can see what I'm talking about in this picture.

Interesting! mine is right side up and says Spyderhawk on it not Endura. I can try to take better pictures but it seems like this site compresses them into a small file size.

RFJ
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There are actually a lot more of those "Endurahawk" variants of the Spyderhawk out there than most people think. I had 3 of them at one time but ended up trading all of them away except one I got in a trade a couple of years ago. As far as I know I don't think there were any of the H-1 Spyderhawks that had their handle label with another name on it.

I love the Spyderhawk in VG-10 and H-1 both. The Holy Grail of Spyderhawk models is the blue handled, plain edged VG-10 model. It's getting extremely rare. I actually have a user blue handled, VG-10 unit and love it. The Spyderhawk model is a great one to make into a "user". The G-10 Harpy is my all time favorite Spyderco Hawkbill but I also dearly love the Spyderhawk models ( VG-10 & H-1).

One of my most wanted Spyderco Sprint Runs would be to make a Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle.
ROFJ

Post by ROFJ »

Thanks for the info JD! I've actually never seen one that says endurahawk in person. ive owened a decent amount of H1 versions All the handles were the same. I love how aggressive they are yet so functional. At any rate, I stumbled upon this one and really didn't know much about it as it was made for one year 13 years ago. I'm trying to figure out what it's worth etc.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, they don't actually say Endurahawk, just Endura. The handle mold used was the same as the old barrel bolt Endura. Either they were using up an old stock of handles, or they forgot to change the insert. As for the pictures, I upload mine to Photobucket and use the link they provide to paste into my post to get bigger pictures here.
ROFJ

Post by ROFJ »

[quote="yablanowitz"]Well, they don't actually say Endurahawk.

interesting! shows what I know! its amazing how many details there are in the history of some of these knives.
ROFJ

Post by ROFJ »

Spyderhawk VG10 C77SBK
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

They should remake the spyderhawk in g10 with a compression lock.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ROFJ

Post by ROFJ »

ZrowsN1s wrote:They should remake the spyderhawk in g10 with a compression lock.
there are still so many options with this knife! I hope they revisit it and bring it back to life!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:They should remake the spyderhawk in g10 with a compression lock.
Didn't even give thought to the possibility of a compression lock>> actually that's a great idea and I wouldn't at all be opposed to a G-10 handled Spyderhawk with a ball bearing lock. Every Spyder I own and have owned in the past with a ball bearing lock has served me very well. Yeah I know that the ball bearing lock is not everyone's desire but I've personally had great luck with them. I think the ball bearing lock Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle would be a cool looking unit IMO.

But a Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle and a compression lock is also a great idea for a Sprint Run. If Spyderco could get their Hawkbills sold in the lawn, garden and landscaping magazines like A.M. Leonard for instance I bet they would sell a ton of them>> especially in H-1.

Just look at how many people here on the forum have discovered how good Hawkbills work in the lawn and garden jobs.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I would definitely like to see a non-lock back hawkbill in spyderco's line up. I've never owned a ball bearing lock, but I'd give it a try if they make a new spyderhawk with one :D . Ever since I got my first PM2 I've been a convert to the compression lock, I was excited when I heard they were going to be using them on some of the new Japanese models like the ouroboros, I figured since they were doing that, maybe I had a shot at seeing it on some other knives as well.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Have you ever heard of the SuperHawk?

Years ago when we were discussing the possibility of bringing back the SpyderHawk as a Sprint Run in H-1, I was using the existence of the old tooling to minimize the expense (and thereby the risk) of making the new Sprint. Sal said he would like to redesign the model and mentioned a few changes he would make. I said those changes would be a deal-breaker for me personally, and they would have been. In the end, the SpyderHawk Salt came out as a production piece rather than a Sprint, and stayed in the line up longer than the original. Later came the SuperHawk, which incorporated some of the design changes Sal mentioned. It did not sell well, and was discontinued after a year and a half. Granted, it was Carbon Fiber instead of G-10 and came only in plain edge, but I think it probably left a bad taste in Sal's mouth. I know I'd be wary of putting out another comp lock hawkbill after that.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:

Years ago when we were discussing the possibility of bringing back the SpyderHawk as a Sprint Run in H-1, I was using the existence of the old tooling to minimize the expense (and thereby the risk) of making the new Sprint. Sal said he would like to redesign the model and mentioned a few changes he would make. I said those changes would be a deal-breaker for me personally, and they would have been. In the end, the SpyderHawk Salt came out as a production piece rather than a Sprint, and stayed in the line up longer than the original. Later came the SuperHawk, which incorporated some of the design changes Sal mentioned. It did not sell well, and was discontinued after a year and a half. Granted, it was Carbon Fiber instead of G-10 and came only in plain edge, but I think it probably left a bad taste in Sal's mouth. I know I'd be wary of putting out another comp lock hawkbill after that.
Oh yeah Yab I do indeed very much remember the SUPERHAWK and I did own a couple of them at one time. But I was sorely disappointed that they never offered them in Spyderedge :confused: which made no sense to me at all because I'm willing to bet that 95% of all the Harpy, TASMAN and MERLIN models were predominantly done in Spyderedge rather than plain edge>> which tells me that the market favors and even demands Hawkbills in SE. I Have nothing against plain edged Hawkbill folders but I personally find Spyderedged models to be about 7 times more useful than Hawkbills in PE.

A revamped SUPERHAWK would also be a Sprint Run I would be highly in favor of but only if it is available in Spyderedge this go around. But I still think that a G-10 Spyderhawk ( regardless of locking system) would be really nice>> I bet it would go over huge with landscapers and seafaring jobs>> not to mention many agricultural jobs as well.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

yablanowitz wrote:
I actually hadn't until yesterday, I followed a link to country knives in another thread (the holy grail thread), and i saw one for sale (its expensive). But it looked like the kind of knife I would be interested in....

Spyderco is literally and figuratively on the cutting edge of design. I hope that they don't let occasionally being ahead of their time discourage them from revisiting past designs that were under-appreciated in their time.

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

The SE H1 Spyderhawk is one of my all time favorite users. Nothing cuts and holds an edge better than serrated H1, and in the hawkbill shape, it is wickedly awesome and effective. Gathering mushrooms, MBC, boat work... the Spyderhawk really shines.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I can't say the H1 SE would be my choice for mbc because i find it snags on clothing too much especially if it's cold weather time. As far as utility it's one of my favorites and my most carried knife. If it's not in my pocket I'm probably in a federal building or the like. I'd take one in VG-10 but I'd prefer it get brought back in H1. One day spyderco will bring it back. I just hope it's before my frn clip pocket wears out and i can't carry the knife anymore. I rather not flip the clip to the other side but that's an option to prolong it's life.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

clovisc wrote:The SE H1 Spyderhawk is one of my all time favorite users. Nothing cuts and holds an edge better than serrated H1, and in the hawkbill shape, it is wickedly awesome and effective. Gathering mushrooms, MBC, boat work... the Spyderhawk really shines.
It should be one of your all time favorites dude because you were the GODFATHER of that great Spyderco Hawkbill. I distinctly remember the day you suggested that one to Sal and Thank GOD he thought it was a great idea as well. I bet the H-1 version outsold the original VG-10 version by at least 10 to 1 if not more so.

I just wish they would bring that one back and try marketing that model in the gardening, landscaping and horticulture magazines>> because I bet serious landscapers and gardeners would but a lot of them. I'm finding more and more uses for Hawkbills doing yardwork and gardening. And with the H-1 blades you just couldn't go wrong. I sure use mine a bunch too.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

clovisc wrote:The SE H1 Spyderhawk is one of my all time favorite users. Nothing cuts and holds an edge better than serrated H1, and in the hawkbill shape, it is wickedly awesome and effective. Gathering mushrooms, MBC, boat work... the Spyderhawk really shines.
I'm with you there on H1, both PE and SE are awesome. I only live 10 miles from the beach thats where my tasman earns it's keep... First, it doesn't have steel liners so it's super light (an advantage when you're wearing swim trunks and no belt), second rust proof (I can't emphasize enough the value of rust proof, total game changer), third H1 is the easiest to sharpen steel I have ever used. I find the hawkbill shape is ideal for utility and MBC. The beach attracts some shady people sometimes, the tasman is a comfort, and a capable substitute to carry when I have to leave my more rust prone MBC knives at home and I'm walking through lonely alleyways and some of the more secluded spots at the beach. I imagine the Spyderhawk would be even better. :D

and i know I've said it before, but it's worth mentioning again. If you own a hawkbill in H1 and haven't tried using it in the kitchen yet, you might be surprised by how well it works. Best turkey carving knife ever.

ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:
It should be one of your all time favorites dude because you were the GODFATHER of that great Spyderco Hawkbill. I distinctly remember the day you suggested that one to Sal and Thank GOD he thought it was a great idea as well. I bet the H-1 version outsold the original VG-10 version by at least 10 to 1 if not more so.

I just wish they would bring that one back and try marketing that model in the gardening, landscaping and horticulture magazines>> because I bet serious landscapers and gardeners would but a lot of them. I'm finding more and more uses for Hawkbills doing yardwork and gardening. And with the H-1 blades you just couldn't go wrong. I sure use mine a bunch too.
they would,

they would... :D

H1 and gardening just work together!