Cru-Wear Military at CS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Re: Cru-Wear Military at CS

Post by DougC-3 »

My lockup looks the same, and the blade could be flipped out pretty easily with a flick of the wrist, I think partly because of the weight of the thick 4mm slab of VG-10, but neither of these things bothers me. I carry it with the blade against the back edge of my pocket. It's one of my favorites -- I love it.

K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

That looks like extremely early lockup... It looks like only a part of the thickness of the lock-bar engages the tang. That is too early for my liking, I would be nervous that the lock could slip if you put enough pressure on the spine or point.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sirens1 wrote:I received my SLeaf from Cutlery Shoppe today and I must say, it's quite excellent. I'm just a little worried about how the lock doesn't travel over to the right as much as i'd like. Could that correct itself in time?
Mine doesn't either... Kind of freaks me out
About how far does the liner engage the tang on your Superleaf? I am just curious as I have a few knives that only engage at 25%, but still lock up tightly.
PM2 on left has the level of engagement I prefer. Both have solid lockup. My Salsa had what I would consider late lockup and it was more like 75%...Don't have a pic though.
I dunno, that looks like extremely early lockup... The whole thickness of the lock-bar only barely engages the tang? I would be nervous that the lock could slip unexpectedly with enough pressure on the spine or point.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sirens1 wrote:I received my SLeaf from Cutlery Shoppe today and I must say, it's quite excellent. I'm just a little worried about how the lock doesn't travel over to the right as much as i'd like. Could that correct itself in time?
About how far does the liner engage the tang on your Superleaf? I am just curious as I have a few knives that only engage at 25%, but still lock up tightly.
PM2 on left has the level of engagement I prefer. Both have solid lockup. My Salsa had what I would consider late lockup and it was more like 75%...Don't have a pic though.
I see what you mean. I have a Vesuvius that is nearly the same as your Superleaf in terms of lock engagement. That shouldn't affect the use/function of the lock, but I agree that more engagement would be ideal. I am guessing that perhaps this is something that has been CQI'd on Spyderco's newer Compression Locks?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
[img]http://
i.imgur.com/z2xkeKk.jpg[/img]

That's exactly how my SLeaf is. I wonder if they'd be able to remedy this if I sent it in ...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sirens1 wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
[img]http://
i.imgur.com/z2xkeKk.jpg[/img]

That's exactly how my SLeaf is. I wonder if they'd be able to remedy this if I sent it in ...
It might be worth calling them first before you send it in. If the lock is otherwise functioning properly, they may not want to tweak it. There are ways of adjusting the lock (e.g. removing material from the tang) but it has its risks too.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal