Techno opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brock O Lee

Re: Techno opinions

Post by Brock O Lee »

I was intrigued by the design at first, but I later realized the Techno was not my thing. It is too short and thick and stubby as a primary folder. I often cut food, and for that I need some blade length (3-4 inch is perfect) and I want thinner blade stock rather than thicker.

My secondary folder for the last 5 years since I discovered Spyderco (and only folder for the 15 years prior to that) is an alox SAK. It excels as a smaller knife, and I have not found anything that can dethrone it from the LFP. It is pretty, durable, multi-functional, people friendly, and it will slice circles around something like a Techno, at a fraction of the price. It is the perfect companion to a larger OHO Spydie for me.

I have drooled over some of Spyderco's little big knives before, but I just know the SAK will beat them to the pocket every time. :o
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

On paper, I should really like this knife. The size and overbuilt design look perfect for my work week. I absolutely love the Slysz Bowie, so its only seems right that I should enjoy both. However, something about how chunky it is combined with less than ideal ergos have left me disappointed. As much as it looks like it shares the same DNA as the Bowie, in hand it does not. Regardless, I've bought and sold it twice now, but just bought another :eek: (third time was the charm with the Delica). Really want to love this knife.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I love mine- it's the S30v 'whoops' model rather than the XHP run.

Pros:
-Build quality is gem-like while tank-like....It just feels lovely.
-Slick opening and closing action
-Non-threatening shape for around the non-knife-peeps (I've often remarked that Spyderco's 'fat-little-blade' models like the Salsa and the Techno illicit positive responses from the usually knife-shy, whereas a pointier blade on the a similar Delica gets more of a worried look)
-Fits nicely into the watch pocket on a pair of jeans- classy enough to be a gents knife.
-Ergos work for my hand (that means I have slab-sided hands, I guess :D)
-Wire clip, smooth scales= easy draw

Cons:
-The weight can count against it in lighter trousers or in shorts. A lighter EDC is often my choice
-Slabby sides can take some getting used to if you come straight from a Delica 4 or similar in the same size bracket
-Stout blade encourages prying (if lending to the aforementioned non-knife-peep!) and not as slicey as something thinner cut.
-A short lanyard works wonders for drawing it from a pocket and extending the 'grip length' on the handle.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I really like my Techno. Superior are its fit, finish, and fondleability, the latter not inconsequential to me.

But rarely do I carry it. In my EDC, Glesser designs just win the day, day in and day out. Today, I'm out to do the garden with my Tasman (with an M4 PM2--check that, an M4 Manix2--in my RFP).

Still, Marcin Slysz' designs, like Gayle Bradley's, do have my attention. Yet a new PM2, or Manix2, or Stretch in some steel I prefer or want to explore does reduce funds for a Slysz Bowie.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I'm developing a hankering for the Slyz Bowie. That is a sweet looking knife. I don't know how I resisted it this long. Wish they had liquidated these recently instead of the K2.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

I liked it on paper but when I held one at Edgeworks MD (which I highly recommend checking out) it was too strong a detent for me to open one handed.
:spyder: Turtles can have knives too, right? :spyder:
Aus-8 Delica 1 ATS-55 Endura UK Penknife
Positron Mamba Blurple PM2
Holland

Post by Holland »

Tyrdle wrote:I liked it on paper but when I held one at Edgeworks MD (which I highly recommend checking out) it was too strong a detent for me to open one handed.
Lots of people have this problem. One of the reasons is people pushing the lock bar into the blade, causing more pressure from the detent. You need to hold the knife above the lock bar from my experience
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

Holland wrote:
Tyrdle wrote:I liked it on paper but when I held one at Edgeworks MD (which I highly recommend checking out) it was too strong a detent for me to open one handed.
Lots of people have this problem. One of the reasons is people pushing the lock bar into the blade, causing more pressure from the detent. You need to hold the knife above the lock bar from my experience
Yeah, I tried that, but I think it was that the hole seemed very far into the handle compared to other spydies. Also I have tiny hands because I just happen to be 11 years old, which probably explains a lot. :D
:spyder: Turtles can have knives too, right? :spyder:
Aus-8 Delica 1 ATS-55 Endura UK Penknife
Positron Mamba Blurple PM2
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Tyrdle wrote:Also I have tiny hands because I just happen to be 11 years old, which probably explains a lot. :D
That makes a big difference. Both of my kids (13 & 15) struggled to flick open my Techno the way I can without trying 5 or 6 times to get it just right. Only recently has my son been able to open it "like a boss" and I think it's because he's 5'9" now and his hands are almost the same size as mine. I easily flick it and it flies open with authority, and the sound and feel it makes is really quite pleasing. The issue for my kids has been that their fingers are a little short and this knife requires you to "throw" your thumb a little further than some of the traditional Spyderco designs. For my 13 year old daughter, the solution is to choke up higher on the knife to allow her thumb to extend a little further. :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

dplafoll wrote:This is a knife that a lot of people will love, and some people will find something about it that they don't like enough to not carry it.
This is definitely one of Spyderco's premier Little Big Knives. But it's also one that I'd recommend holding before you buy it. If you can find a good knife store, or if you can find a knife collector nearby that has one, I'd check it out. If I didn't have sentimental value in mine, I'd be willing to ship it to you for a little while to try out, but I just can't trust shipping for this one.
I will point out that BladeHQ has these for sale, and a fairly reasonable return policy. Obviously you wouldn't be able to beat on it then send it back, and you'd have to pay some shipping and a restocking fee (only 5%) but it might be a worthwhile gamble. Or you could exchange it for something else.
Yeah I wish there was a knife store within 100 miles that I could fondle said knife before purchase but they don't exist. I would buy it from them to support their business. So I am left with internet research and the knowledge of this on this forum to aid in a reasonable decision. I've yet to buy a Spyderco that I did not like but I do have a Benchmade collecting dust. I bought that one without doing my due diligence and have a nice paper weight. Live and learn.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Bugs wrote:
dplafoll wrote:This is a knife that a lot of people will love, and some people will find something about it that they don't like enough to not carry it.
This is definitely one of Spyderco's premier Little Big Knives. But it's also one that I'd recommend holding before you buy it. If you can find a good knife store, or if you can find a knife collector nearby that has one, I'd check it out. If I didn't have sentimental value in mine, I'd be willing to ship it to you for a little while to try out, but I just can't trust shipping for this one.
I will point out that BladeHQ has these for sale, and a fairly reasonable return policy. Obviously you wouldn't be able to beat on it then send it back, and you'd have to pay some shipping and a restocking fee (only 5%) but it might be a worthwhile gamble. Or you could exchange it for something else.
Yeah I wish there was a knife store within 100 miles that I could fondle said knife before purchase but they don't exist. I would buy it from them to support their business. So I am left with internet research and the knowledge of this on this forum to aid in a reasonable decision. I've yet to buy a Spyderco that I did not like but I do have a Benchmade collecting dust. I bought that one without doing my due diligence and have a nice paper weight. Live and learn.
I bet somebody somewhere would buy that from you. I know some forums require payment before you can sell stuff, which I understand. You could also try a Facebook knife group.

And if it were almost any other Spyderco, I'd say go ahead and get it because it'll probably be fine. But the Techno is one of those love/hate knives, especially for the handle, so it's tough for me to truly say "just buy it" in good conscience. Now, going into it with that caveat, I love mine and I'd say buy it otherwise, knowing that there's a non-zero chance you don't like it.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

dplafoll wrote:
Bugs wrote:
dplafoll wrote:
I bet somebody somewhere would buy that from you. I know some forums require payment before you can sell stuff, which I understand. You could also try a Facebook knife group.
Yeah it's a Benchmade 300SN Axis Flipper. I tried to love it but it's just not for me. I may offer it in a trade at some point. Once I discovered Spyderco the Benchmade knives became "meh".
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
kurt6652

Post by kurt6652 »

I like the Techno, but I like my g10 native 5 a lot more. I prefer the back lock and blade of the native, weight wise and size wise they are similar.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Cool little cutter, despite the thick blade. Although I do like the original name 'the mouse'. Lovely blade!