spyderco hole cut

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
greg27

spyderco hole cut

Post by greg27 »

I saw a picture of a manix2 with the top part of the hole cut out leaving a C shaped hole and creating an emerson type opener, any body try this? If so how'd it work?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: spyderco hole cut

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome to the forum.

I have never tried it but a lot of Spyderco knives receive this modification and it works pretty good, they say. I am not much in to such things.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

It would probably work reasonably well, all things considered. Before I'd do that, however, I'd try using the zip-tie method first. (That is, some folks secure a zip-tie to the top-most part of the Hole, thereby making it easier to "grab" the edge of the pocket and deploy the blade as it is withdrawn from the pocket). Like Dan said, I'm not much into modding out the Hole for an Emerson type opener. (I like to have the option of removing the zip-tie later if I change my mind). ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It works, but at the cost of a great deal of the blade strength. I personally think it is a waste of a perfectly good knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'll pass on that. Zip ties don't look any worse and are a lot less permanent.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David