"I would buy a new Yojimbo 2 Sprint with....???"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mb1

Re: "I would buy a new Yojimbo 2 Sprint with....???"

Post by mb1 »

ZrowsN1s wrote: toy like? ouch. Blurple is the best color g10 spyderco's ever made if you ask me :) But, I get that it's love it or hate it for most people. I have a silver lining for you... If as you say there are many people just itching to buy some s110v if only it came in a different color.... sounds like an excellent opportunity for some forward thinking business to commission a sprint run of s110v in a color of their choosing. And, it will be a valued and sought after collectors item i'm sure.
I don't think you were really offended there, but I hope you know this is all in good fun. Purple is also the color of royalty, so there ya go! It just struck me one day looking at a blurple Millie that it made it look toy-like to me, detracting from the bad-assity of the blade.

I've been dealing with a heaping helping of stress the last couple weeks, so this has been just a little diversion to get my mind off of some heavy things. Don't take any of this too seriously. How blessed are we to even be able to banter about luxury-level tool choices?? Take care dude.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

mb1 wrote:
demoncase wrote: Let's do a little maths on to understand why it's so difficult to give people a 'pick-your-own-combo'
2 factors you can pick from on one model: Blade steel and handle colour-
Let's say there are 3 steels to choose from and 5 handle colours- reasonable right?
That's 2^8 combinations- or 256 different variants you have to have in stock- for ONE model.
Now you add plain edge, combo and full spyder edge and it's 768 :eek: .... (That's making the big assumption every steel works well in a serrated edge- and they don't)
This really isn't worth debating per se, but I like math problems and need a little diversion right now.

Mr Case, Sir, I believe you may be over-mathing this one. I think you're using permutation math there (??), and in permutations order matters, correct? In this case order doesn't matter, so you would have to discount the redundancies.

Looking at it logically:
Steel 1: 5 color choices = 5
Steel 2: 5 color choices = 5
Steel 3: 5 color choices = 5
Total? = 15

I believe it's that simple here. I sure can't find a way to stock more than 15 knives with those 2 choices, and my boss says it has to be done by tomorrow!!

Mark
Doh....You're right- over-mathed it ;)

However- 15 iterations of with a normal distribution of popularity means there's going to be 2-3 of those that gather dust, and some that fly out the door....It's bad enough (I'm sure) with a mere 2 colours with the same blade steel to manage in stock.

What do you do then for the unpopular few from that 15?- Strip 'em down and replace the scales/blade to push them back into a more popular variant?
The profit margin drops as you're having to factor in the waste of the replaced steel/scales, plus the time to make more, plus the time to pull down the stock and rebuild it to the more 'popular' spec.
And with all that you have to have a line to do this kind of work- an 'internal rework process' which by definition is non-value-added.

Car companies can absorb these iterations and combinations for three reasons
1. They run a 'Just In Time' flow-line with single piece flow- with next-to-no stock. What you ask for gets built live on the line to order
2. When you're selling a car for $20,000 retail, small iterative variations have a small overall impact on the cost:profit ratio of the sold product
3. The size of the businesses doing this are huge multinationals with a massive 'footprint' of sub-contracted outsource sub-assembly providers- You can get the variant bits easily.

When that's now a knife with a $100 street price and you want to do the same thing?....well, you're going to start making a loss on each unit fast.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

mb1 wrote: I don't think you were really offended there, but I hope you know this is all in good fun. Purple is also the color of royalty, so there ya go! It just struck me one day looking at a blurple Millie that it made it look toy-like to me, detracting from the bad-assity of the blade.

I've been dealing with a heaping helping of stress the last couple weeks, so this has been just a little diversion to get my mind off of some heavy things. Don't take any of this too seriously. How blessed are we to even be able to banter about luxury-level tool choices?? Take care dude.
No offense taken :D Absolutely blessed indeed. The blade forum, knife collecting in general is a great distraction from everyday problems. works for me anyways. It's funny I used to buy nothing but black blade, black handle knives, I haven't bought a single black knife since I started buying Spyderco's .
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Tan G10 and LC200N. The best properties of 52100 in a corrosion proof steel. Would love to see it in FFG to do double duty as a food prep knife but I'd take it in hollow ground too. High toughness would help with that thin point.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
paladin

Post by paladin »

...a Cruwear PM2 as part of a bundle deal for $160 <all in>.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Something in Micarta would get my vote. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

thewoodpecker wrote:Tan G10 and LC200N. The best properties of 52100 in a corrosion proof steel. Would love to see it in FFG to do double duty as a food prep knife but I'd take it in hollow ground too. High toughness would help with that thin point.
I'd buy that in a heart beat.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Nice to see the old thread again. Can't believe it's been 6 months since I first dreamed of owning a maxamet Yojimbo.
lc200N and Tan.... I would love to see both of those.... just not on the yojimbo. I'm all about the powdered high speed steel, and I'm going to agree with SpyderNut and vote Micarta (blue denim is my vote). I've seen somebody on here post a picture of a micarta handled Yo2 in their collection, I was jealous. I got the S30V version for Christmas and it hasn't really left my pocket since. It hasn't quelled my desire for a Yojimbo 2 Sprint either. If anything, I want one more than ever. I even started a mini yojimbo (the yo_Fly) thread to shamelessly beg a for smaller EDC version of the Yo2, thats how much I can't get enough of this blade shape. :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm pretty happy with my S90V but I'd be open to another sprint depending on the steel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:I'm pretty happy with my S90V but I'd be open to another sprint depending on the steel.
I want a new one I can keep as my light use dedicated MBC knife, so I can start using my current one as a heavy use utility knife.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Evil D wrote:I'm pretty happy with my S90V but I'd be open to another sprint depending on the steel.
I want a new one I can keep as my light use dedicated MBC knife, so I can start using my current one as a heavy use utility knife.

I hear ya. I don't know if I really do anything that S90V isn't tough enough to handle but I would love to see Cruwear/3V.
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Cruwear would be cool. Heck I'd take s90v carbon fiber if they want to do another sprint of that.

Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Just about any Steel would be great. Preferably stainless, but any excuse to buy another Yo2 is appreciated.

What I do feel more strongly about is one bit of CQI that can be brought to tge Yo2, the new stepped stop pin seen on the Military, and PM3.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Able Dog wrote:Just about any Steel would be great. Preferably stainless, but any excuse to buy another Yo2 is appreciated.

What I do feel more strongly about is one bit of CQI that can be brought to tge Yo2, the new stepped stop pin seen on the Military, and PM3.

I would welcome that as well, but I have to say my two S90V/CF Yo's have the best action of any compression lock I've owned. At the time they were definitely the best version of that lock. Neither of mine stick or anything unusual like that and both blades swing like a pendulum. Really they are both pretty much flawless all around. I really get the feeling Spyderco have nailed down producing that lock design.
~David
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I like my Yojimbo 2 as is; however, after seeing the video demonstrating the successful implementation of a flipper and compression lock on the new Sliver and Hanan got me thinking...hmmm :rolleyes:...imagine a flipper version...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Able Dog wrote:Just about any Steel would be great. Preferably stainless, but any excuse to buy another Yo2 is appreciated.

Do you have a picture of the stop pin? Whats the difference between the new stepped one and the old one? If you don't mind my asking.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:

Do you have a picture of the stop pin? Whats the difference between the new stepped one and the old one? If you don't mind my asking.
Just look up the Para 3. The new style is a solid stepped pin that is supposedly stronger than the screw pin design. I also think an added bonus is that it doesn't add a pressure point above the pivot that I've seen effect pivot action on pretty much every Spyderco knife. My new style Militaries are all amazingly solid and all drop perfectly and I haven't touched a screw on any of them.
~David
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Evil D wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:

I hear ya. I don't know if I really do anything that S90V isn't tough enough to handle but I would love to see Cruwear/3V.
I'll +1 this everytime :)
cruwear yes
3v yes
strong tough pointy tip
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Oh I think I see what you mean about the stepped pin. Can you take those apart easily?

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:Oh I think I see what you mean about the stepped pin. Can you take those apart easily?

Yep, they're just a floating pin sandwiched between the liners/scales, not a rivet.
~David