Beautiful day = Maxamet vs S110V vs S30V on tough carpet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NJMS

Beautiful day = Maxamet vs S110V vs S30V on tough carpet

Post by NJMS »

Yes I'm killing time at home while the kids sleep. Sun's shining here in the land of Oz and I had a old roll of carpet and a few knives to play with.

I'd actually sliced some of this old carpet 2 nights ago. Straight away I noticed it was hard, full of dirt and the backing was super abrasive, almost seemed like fibreglass material. Killed my cheap box cutter blade in about 10 small cuts.

I didn't have much carpet by the time the roll was spilt up for an equal amount for each knife so I figured I'd just see which if any knives dropped a copy paper cutting edge after the job was done. By no means was this scientific, I just sliced it up playing with knives for personal interest.

I had a MT24 in Maxamet, a Military in S110V and my S30V PM2. All knives are off the edge pro, 15dps and I ran them over the sharpmaker brown stones at 20dps so the finish was equal on all with a little toothyness. All edges easily cut phone book paper prior to the carpet cutting.

From what small amount I did cut of this little roll of carpet the S110V performed the best and easily cuts the printer paper post carpet, it's still really sharp. The Maxamet was only just behind slicing the printer paper post carpet but ripped it a little easier if I wasn't careful starting the paper cut. And the S30V had no hope. Check the pictures out, I can run the S30V across my bare thumb now, it's very blunt compared to the others. Like I said this carpet was tough on edges. The Maxamet and S110V still have heaps of aggression and if I score then across my thumb nail both feel super bitey (is that a word lol) and leave a fine white streak. I certainly wouldn't run them on bare skin in a slice cut.

Which knife did I like best for the carpet cutting..... Other than enjoying the slightly longer blade on the Military...... I liked my SE Tasman salt best. Yep blind sided.... The serrated H1 tore it up big time. But 2nd was the Military.
Attachments
DSC_1669.JPG
DSC_1668.JPG
DSC_1667.JPG
DSC_1666.JPG
DSC_1665.JPG
Holland

Re: Beautiful day = Maxamet vs S110V vs S30V on tough carpet

Post by Holland »

Awesome test! thanks for sharing. How was the sharpness affected on the Tasman? :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Nice test. :)
NJMS

Post by NJMS »

Holland wrote:Awesome test! thanks for sharing. How was the sharpness affected on the Tasman? :D
I know it's still sharp and very pointy. I haven't sharpened the Tasman since last weekend when I flogged the knife cutting vines in a 12hr Rogaine. But no surprise the serrated hawkbill worked well on abrasive carpet.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

NJMS wrote:
Holland wrote:Awesome test! thanks for sharing. How was the sharpness affected on the Tasman? :D
I know it's still sharp and very pointy. I haven't sharpened the Tasman since last weekend when I flogged the knife cutting vines in a 12hr Rogaine. But no surprise the serrated hawkbill worked well on abrasive carpet.
Wow.
Does the inner scallop retain the sharpness as well as S110V or Maxamet?
Chris :spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Good stuff!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
npad69

Post by npad69 »

sweet! i really dig these kinds of tests
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Thanks for doing/sharing. Would be interested to know what the thickness behind the edge was on both the Maxamet and S110V to see if one had a starting advantage. Also surprised you liked using the millie better than the mule, which looks like it has a more comfortable rounded handle.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Ankerson wrote:Nice test. :)
Yup thanks for posting...

I'm guessing the Tasman's serration points were doing most of the damage, BUT that'd only be a GUESS... ;) :o

It'd be interesting to throw a Atlantic Salt PE in there to compare SE H1 vs. PE H1...

Has anyone tested cast 440C such as Stuart's Serrata on carpet, Jim? :confused:

It does well on Sisal and other fibrous strata...so, in theory, it may take the field on such a task, in PE, at least
Last edited by paladin on Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

for those like me who were trying to figure out what vines and Rogaine have to do with each other:

Rogaine: An extended score event, with time limits of 3, 6, 8, 12 or 24 hours, generally using large-area maps (at 1:24,000 to 1:50,000 scale, versus the 1:5,000 to 1:15,000 scale of a typical orienteering map), and often a team rather than solo event. The acronym "ROGAINE" was invented in Australia in the 1970s from a combination of the inventors' names (ROd, GAIl, and NEil).

from http://www.us.orienteering.org/

cool test btw, I figured Maxamet would be the winner...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
NJMS

Post by NJMS »

Sorry about the Rogaine comment for the confusion. Yes is a big boys treasure hunt in scrub for 12hrs using map and compass to find control points (came 2nd overall too). The Tasman was used to extract ourselves when we became to entangled in vines quite often pushing through the thick scrub. It can be really rough going.

The Tasman works best I believe due to the blade shape which was the only knife never to slide out during a cut. That hawkbill just bites in. The teeth ripped it up. On a flexible but abrasive material like this carpet it was great.

The Millie has a slight downward cast to the blade / handle which made it comfortable cutting. The mule would be more comfortable over time with the thick handles but this was only a short test. The Millie also has a slightly longer cutting edge over the Mule. I think if both were the same length I wouldn't have picked much difference. Both the Mule and the Military are similar thickness behind the edge I believe. The PM2 is slightly thicker.

With how quickly the S30V was blunted I don't feel PE H1 would do well at all. So I didn't even try.

What was very clear is that both Maxamet and S110V retain a very aggressive edge on abrasive materials. Both are awesome. What I did find is on the sharpmaker @ a 20dps micro bevel the Maxamet was easier to touch back up than the S110V. Both now easily slice phone book paper but the Maxamet feels sharper to my unscientific thumb....
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

So in a nutshell Maxamet and S110V are very similar in edge retention in soft abrasive materials with Maxamet being easier to sharpen.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

That's interesting I would have thought the Maxamet would be harder to sharpen based on what I've read, but s110v is tricky, took me a few sharpening sessions before i got the hang of it, now i can get it shaving sharp and mostly just have to strop it every few days to keep it there. Cant wait to try the Maxamet in a folder. Have you tried to shave hair with the Maxamet and the s110V? have an opinion on which one shaves better? I'm just curious, i already own a disposable razor :D *On a related note H1 shaves really well.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ZrowsN1s wrote:That's interesting I would have thought the Maxamet would be harder to sharpen based on what I've read, but s110v is tricky, took me a few sharpening sessions before i got the hang of it, now i can get it shaving sharp and mostly just have to strop it every few days to keep it there. Cant wait to try the Maxamet in a folder. Have you tried to shave hair with the Maxamet and the s110V? have an opinion on which one shaves better? I'm just curious, i already own a disposable razor :D *On a related note H1 shaves really well.
MAXAMET is noticeably easier to deal with than S110V from my own experience, was very apparent when reprofiling.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ankerson wrote: MAXAMET is noticeably easier to deal with than S110V from my own experience, was very apparent when reprofiling.
Well thats why this forum's great, I thought it would be the other way around, now i know better. thanks for the info.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

When cutting dirty fibrous material it's actually more luck than you would think. As in some parts of the material may have more dirt than others. Sand and what not will kill the edge quickly. I've had this experience cutting nylon lifting straps. Sometimes you make a cut through it and the edge is fine. Other times the edge has a few shiny spots from hitting different objects in the material. Clean nylon of course would be more consistent in dulling the edge as opposed to random dulling from hitting these hidden abrasives.
NJMS

Post by NJMS »

DarkHorse wrote:Hi, although you are just playing with these things but I think its not safe. So there are many other things you can do other than this. You must sit on the rug and play the cards!
I can think of a few things you could play with........

This is a knife forum mate. And the carpet needed cutting up to fit in my small domestic waste bin. No harm done.

Careful as you suck on that pink lolly pop buddy, I hear the edge of the sticks can be sharp.

Go troll some other fella.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

NJMS wrote:
DarkHorse wrote:Hi, although you are just playing with these things but I think its not safe. So there are many other things you can do other than this. You must sit on the rug and play the cards!

This is a knife forum mate. And the carpet needed cutting up to fit in my small domestic waste bin. No harm done.

Careful as you suck on that pink lolly pop buddy, I hear the edge of the sticks can be sharp.

Hi, NJMS:
The post that you quoted (it's gone now) is a perfect example of a sneaky spammer. A nonsensical post to test the waters. "DarkHorse" has been banned and his profile stripped. If you see future posts from new members that seem nonsensical please feel free to use the "Report Post" feature to call it to our attention and we'll take a look.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
NJMS

Post by NJMS »

TazKristi wrote:
NJMS wrote:

Hi, NJMS:
The post that you quoted (it's gone now) is a perfect example of a sneaky spammer. A nonsensical post to test the waters. "DarkHorse" has been banned and his profile stripped. If you see future posts from new members that seem nonsensical please feel free to use the "Report Post" feature to call it to our attention and we'll take a look.

Kristi
Straight onto it. Hadn't even thought of a scammer. Sneaky bugger.

Thanks Kristi