TiCN Blade Coating

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
freebird610

TiCN Blade Coating

Post by freebird610 »

Hey guys. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a Pacific Salt. I can't decide whether to get the coated or uncoated blade. I have no experience with TiCN coating. How well does it hold up over time? Does is rub off like some other coatings. I am fine with a plain blade but the coating looks good if it will actually stay on. Thanks for any help guys.
Knivesinedc

Re: TiCN Blade Coating

Post by Knivesinedc »

The ticn coating wears faster than the DLC coating, but it holds up very well under even some fairly rough use. I had an Endura black blade and it held up very well over the years.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

All coatings will wear over use and time- and that timescale varies dependant upon the usage profile and materials encountered.

However not all coatings are created equal and the coatings Spyderco use are not to be confused with that nasty stove enameling we find on many other knives on the market ;)

TiCN is an extremely hard ceramic material- It's 87 HRC.
DLC is essentially an amorphous diamond coating- the hardness is in excess of 90 HRC usually.
These are vacuum furnace applied coatings

But- and this is a key point- despite this hardness, they aren't a force-field and will scratch and wear when encountering sharper materials over time- But only in small places, not big ugly scabs like the cheap enamel coatings that we often encounter.

I've the a Pacific Salt with the black coating I've used for various donkey work and EDC'd on holiday for a 2 months on and off. There are no noticible scratches or wear to the DLC coating.....If anything, I find the coating helpful, as I find that H1 tends to pick up scratches on the blade faces much more easily than harder steels (unsurprising really) and the DLC keeps the sides of the blade looking 'new' longer.....But start going to town on rope filled with sand for a week and I bet you'll see some scratches ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

Thanks guys. Does the coating cause any drag when slicing? I was actually thinking that it would scratch less easy than the bare steel of H1 as well.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

freebird610 wrote:Thanks guys. Does the coating cause any drag when slicing? I was actually thinking that it would scratch less easy than the bare steel of H1 as well.
There's a knifemaker who did a well documented test of satin finish blades vs cerakote vs DLC and found that blades coated with DLC performed better in all categories than the non coated blades made of the same steel.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

Will the TiCN coating perform as well as the DLC used for the test though?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

freebird610 wrote:Will the TiCN coating perform as well as the DLC used for the test though?
In the application we are talking about, you'll never detect a difference.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

All the others gave you the best answers, on this one. Myself, personally, I would go with the uncoated Pacific Salt because of the satin-blade finish and my own personal issues with blade coatings that are probably not rooted in any reality beyond my own preference issues.