Would a fixed blade Military or Paramilitary work or be pointless?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Would a fixed blade Military or Paramilitary work or be pointless?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What do all of you Military and Paramilitary users say to this? Would it be good or pointless to have a fixed blade version with the same blade thickness, shape, style, and materials, or not?
Evil D

Re: Would a fixed blade Military or Paramilitary work or be pointless?

Post by Evil D »

I'd be interested. Mainly because in a fixed blade you lose the constraint of having to fit the blade into the handle when the knife folds, so you could make a Military with a 6 inch blade, etc. It seemed to work pretty well with the Ronin 2, which is more or less a fixed blade Yojimbo 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Oh Id be in for either! Especially if they beef it up with a thicker blade for outdoor utility purposes such as prying/ chopping etc. I love the splinter picker point the folders have but im sure this could be changed a bit in a fixed blade version.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Seems pointless. If it were a good idea people would be carrying their knives in the locked position, right? You can put an open knife in a a sheath.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zhyla wrote:Seems pointless. If it were a good idea people would be carrying their knives in the locked position, right? You can put an open knife in a a sheath.
Well except for the fact you can make a fixed blade much stronger than a folder, and the aforementioned blade length advantage. A fixed blade is a lot more than just a non folding knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Well Id love to see a fixed blade Native with the exact dimensions of the folder. It would be a perfect EDC fixed blade/neck knife. Not so sure about the PM2, I think it works best as a folder.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The Mule Team design is a lot like a beefed up, non-folding Stretch.
Reject

Post by Reject »

T-1000 wrote:Well Id love to see a fixed blade Native with the exact dimensions of the folder. It would be a perfect EDC fixed blade/neck knife. Not so sure about the PM2, I think it works best as a folder.
Is this fixed blade; Native like enuff for you.

How much can a Koala bear?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I dont think I would be interested in one, kinda defeats the purpose of a larger sized blade in a compact folding package. I also like a beefier blade on fixed blades because if I'm carrying one its usually in the woods and being used hard...at least harder than i would use a folder.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Reject

Post by Reject »

The new Junction looks like a candidate.

Spyderco have done a few fixed blade may qualify or in part.

Start a Military and a 35 year old Ka-bar; what do you like and what would you change.

Reject

Post by Reject »

Reject wrote:The new Junction looks like a candidate.

Spyderco have done a few fixed blade that may qualify or in part.

Start a Military and a 35 year old Ka-bar; what do you like and what would you change.

Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Temperance 2

Just for the picture at the top:
http://www.cliffstamp.com/knives/images ... erance.jpg

I do wish Spyderco would use the temperance 2 design as a platform for a larger variety of popular steels. If user feedback for a mule steel is good then try it in a finished fixed blade. The temperance 2 would be perfect. I don't own one but having fondled them I believe they're a really damned good design. I just don't care to pay 200 bucks for VG10 when steels I like more are available for the same or similar price.

Honestly, I believe that's a weak point in Spyderco's arsenal. Their fixed blades are really on the high end of cost for working knives and many custom makers produce high quality small batch knives for the same price or less. If spyderco could produce something like the temperance 2 in 10V or Cruwear for around $150 with good sheath included then I believe they'd really crush the user fixed blade knife market. If making them in Japan is what's killing the cost then I'd respectfully suggest to bring the manufacturing of that knife to Taichung or Golden. I'd love to buy a temperance 2 in a premium steel at a cost that demands attention.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Surely it would have a point...I don't think they would make a blunt tip fixed blade military...then it really would be pointless! ;) :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Imo Spyderco already gives us good small fixed blade options. I think the Enuff and Mule knives cover the need for fixed blades between Native and PM2 sizes very well. Those knives are in the "utility" and "EDC" knife size ranges. Beyond that size, fixed blades IMO have to get more specific about what they are intended to do well to make sense, and they're no longer utility knives at that point. For me a Military fixed blade just wouldn't provide any more benefit than I already get from a Mule. Moving up from the Mule, I think the Temperance and the Sprig already provide excellent options for the next step up the size ladder.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

YES to fixed blade mili !!!
In cruwear or 3v.
The feature lacking in any of the other fine fb spydies mentioned in this thread is the unique blade shape of the mili. Pointy without too much belly. That is why it is my most used folder. Now give it the already noted benefits of a fixed blade!
Holland

Post by Holland »

I made thread about a fixed para2 in 3v and everyone said it would be dumb and the blade to handle ratio wouldn't make sense for a fixed blade that size.

I somewhat agreen at this point
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE