Manbug Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clovisc

Manbug Salt

Post by clovisc »

I have been carrying a Manbug almost daily since getting my first one a few weeks ago. I am highly impressed by the ergos and cutting performance in a knife that is tiny enough to slip into the back sleeve of my Maxpedition Micro wallet.

I have dabbled in Ladybug usage over the years, but unfortunately, have always found them too small to take very seriously. The Manbug, however, increases the size just enough to the point where this "micro-design" feels extremely comfortable in my hands, and is a knife I'd consider using and relying upon on a protracted basis.

I have been tremendously impressed by how well it chainsaws through cardboard, rips through wood, and even completes food-prep tasks with ease, and without fatiguing my hand or creating cramping or "hot spots." The more I use it, the more it grows on me, and the more I use it. It's become one of my favorite Spyderco designs for EDC.

There's only one major flaw with the Manbug, however -- it's not available in H1!!!!!

I recognize that the FFG blade shape is not H1-friendly, however, this seems like the type of challenge that Spyderco could readily overcome, either through substitution of LC200N, or creating a deep hollow grind a la the Dragonfly Salt (which one of my most carried knives).

H1 has been my "go to" steel for getting real work done outdoors up here in southeast Alaska, where we enjoy a maritime climate, and some of the rainiest weather in the world. Same with my wife, an H1 enthusiast who has makes the comment "what's the point of buying a knife that's not H1?" on a routine basis (usually, when observing my Spyderco orders).

While I do enjoy testing other steels around the house, and out in the woods on rare dry days, I am pretty hesitant to take anything out around salt water or on a full day of rain-soaked adventures unless it is H1, or "disposable" (like the Mora knives which are very popular here). I once made the mistake of completely destroying a Tenacious after 4 hours doing hard cutting chores in a marine environment (glad it wasn't my beloved military!), and don't want to subject any other knives to marine apocalypse!

I don't think the Manbug would leave my pocket if it was made out of H1. I would definitely need one in PE, more than one in SE, plus would need to pick up a couple Manbug Salt Hawkbills. :p

What do you guys think? Is there an interest in Manbug Salts outside the realms of my forum daydreaming?
Sharp Guy

Re: Manbug Salt

Post by Sharp Guy »

I don't think you're daydreaming. H1 MB makes perfect sense to me. While I really like my Manbug (& LB's), I probably wouldn't need one in H1. But I would think there's a lot of folks out there who would.

I use my ZDP MB all the time. My girlfriend seems to like her Ladybug but I don't think it gets much use. Instead of digging hers out of her purse she usually just asks me to use whatever knife I have on me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I carry an h1 hawkbill LadyBug and a ZDP-189 Manbug on occasion (need to grab a superblue mb while theres still a few left). Id buy an H1 man bug. But I'm way more excited about the H1 hawkbill Dragonfly rumored to be in the works. Finally a small hawkbill with a pocket clip in H1.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I'd also be in for one!
Yeah, it'd be aneat dea for a keychain sized blade, 100% environment ready.

I also am expecting the new Hawkbill dragonfly with such anxiety, it'll be a really big hit in my opinion, it fills that small niche that rides between the Tasman and Ladybug so nicely.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

We've been calling for one for years now. I am certain Sal has been listening and I suspect he will drop one of his surprises on us with this one.

I should add that I have been a very vocal fan of the Manbug over the years it has been out. I have a G10 and a Superblue. I love the Manbug. The G10 would look great with some stag scales, wouldn't it?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Here is an old thread where people talked of actually skinning deer with a Ladybug and Meerkat and Manbug.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57638&p=816600&hili ... ug#p816600
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I love the Manbug but likely wouldn't buy a salt. Wouldn't VG-10, which has better edge retention and fine corrosion resistance, be enough for most people? If you're working in water, I'd imagine you'd want a knife with a bigger handle to grip.

Personally I want G-10 versions in steels besides VG-10, but that's just me.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Cujobob wrote:
Personally I want G-10 versions in steels besides VG-10, but that's just me.
This also :)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

They cut way bigger than they seem to be able to. Great design. I find the fob makes it perfect. Easier to open and hold in cutting.

I really want the sheepsfoot version spoken of to come out in VG10. I'd definitely prefer FFG on this guy, so perhaps LC200N would be better for a Salt?
- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

we'll consider your request.

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I live in Australia and want legally carry anything. I carry a Manbug every day. I'm such a rebel! I have a SB, Hap40 and ZDP. I'd buy a Salt today! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
sal

Post by sal »

I carry a Mangug HAP40 pretty regularly.

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I'm quite taken by the ZDP. I was apprehensive about sharpening but found it was no match for diamonds when I reprofiled. It cuts anything I need cut with ease. If there is a better little folding knife on the market, I haven't been able to find it!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

sal wrote:we'll consider your request.

sal
Awesome! Thank you, Sal! Fingers crossed....

And thanks for such a cool design!

-Jason
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

manbug.jpg

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sounds good to me. I'd buy a Salt Manbug, preferably in FFG LC200N. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

manbug2.jpg
for anyone that hasn't seen a side by side. I love my hb ladybug, but the manbug has got just a little more substance to it, a slightly bigger punch in about the same size package. Glad Sal is considering an mb in h1. SE would be the way to go though right?

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ZrowsN1s wrote:manbug.jpg
Very nice little landyards! :)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

sal wrote:I carry a Mangug HAP40 pretty regularly.

sal
The Hap40 Manbug didn't make it to the UK... :(

... but we did get the Elmax Urban and K390 Pingo :D
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bloke wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:manbug.jpg
Very nice little landyards! :)
Thanks, they are extremely functional on the manbug. the thickness of the lanyard lets you get a four finger grip on the knife.