Ergonomic Favorite Spyders?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xplorer

Re: Ergonomic Favorite Spyders?

Post by Xplorer »

Doc Dan wrote:Where did you find those lavender scales?
It's just crappy lighting and/or lack of photographic ability. :o Those are stock tan scales. :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I will have to add an enthusiastic +1 in favor of the ergos of the Chokwe. :D Those guys have a lot of time and field testing opportunity to figure out what really works in a knife shape.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Caly 3.5 and Native 5 LW
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Starmate is near the top of the list for me.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

At the risk of sounding like a complete newb, all the Spyderco knives that I've purchased feel good to me. That's one of the many things I like about their knives. Even the tiny ones are really well designed.

Natives, Delicas, Manix 2's, PM2, UKPK, Stretch, Cat, Dragonflys, Urban, Chap, Sages, GBs. I just got my knife box out and tried to pick a winner out of the knives I listed and I'm having a hard time. I have medium sized hands and the medium sized knives (Native, Delica, Sage, UKPK) feel great but then I pick up a Manix, Stretch, or PM2 and their awesome too.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

D'allara, R, Kris, Manix XL, Aqua Salt, Warrior.
Last edited by tvenuto on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

Manix 2 for me...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Chinook3 wrote:The Temperance 2 is one of my favorites. The contour handle is just really comfy, I would like more handles like this and the Vallotton.
As you noticed I had the TEMPERANCE 1 listed in my top three on the opening post of this thread>> I've only held the TEMP 2 a couple of times at knife and gun shows but the contour of the TEMP 2 handle was very similar to that of my dearly beloved TEMPERANCE 1 to be sure.

In my humble opinion the TEMPERANCE 1 is a model that they totally had 100% right to begin with. To me I can't see how they could have improved on the TEMP 1. Now I'm merely speaking for myself and declaring that the TEMP 1 is perfect for me JD Spydo>> it may not be everyone's perfect handle fit but I have talked to at least a half a dozen guys that agree with me. Both the TEMPERANCE fixed blade models are "IN HOUSE" designs and I think you all know how positive I feel about Spyderco's IN HOUSE designs.

Other than that Szabo folder I've yet to see a folder with the supreme ergonomics that are in the C-60 Ayoob model ( especially the G-10 Sprint Run). Which is why I'm hoping and praying that Mr. Ayoob and Mr. Glesser will hopefully do another design from Massad Ayoob.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:There are a few that melt in my hand:
C-60 Ayoob
Rock Salt
Native
Dragonfly
Ronin
I knew that I wasn't the only one who held the C-60 Ayoob model in high standing in the ergonomic category :cool: But DOC you and I have certainly agreed more than we've disagreed over the years and I too wish they would do another Sprint Run of the Ayoob in one of the newer/better supersteels>> and hopefully with a Carbon Fiber handle this go-around ;)

Also Doc I totally concur with you on the NATIVE model>> that is the Golden CO USA Earth model that is :cool: Especially the Spyderedged, 440V version :cool:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

paladin wrote: It'd certainly be easier for me to pick my "least ergonomic" Spyder! ;)
+1
All my Spydies, which I have or had have great ergos. Certainly C83 original, ATR, Natives, Calys, Adventura, Dodo, Lava are top tier among folders. Out of all of them C83 Persian and Ti Fluted N5 are the best.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Chinook3 wrote:The Temperance 2 is one of my favorites. The contour handle is just really comfy, I would like more handles like this and the Vallotton.
As you noticed I had the TEMPERANCE 1 listed in my top three on the opening post of this thread>> I've only held the TEMP 2 a couple of times at knife and gun shows but the contour of the TEMP 2 handle was very similar to that of my dearly beloved TEMPERANCE 1 to be sure.

In my humble opinion the TEMPERANCE 1 is a model that they totally had 100% right to begin with. To me I can't see how they could have improved on the TEMP 1. Now I'm merely speaking for myself and declaring that the TEMP 1 is perfect for me JD Spydo>> it may not be everyone's perfect handle fit but I have talked to at least a half a dozen guys that agree with me. Both the TEMPERANCE fixed blade models are "IN HOUSE" designs and I think you all know how positive I feel about Spyderco's IN HOUSE designs.

Other than that Szabo folder I've yet to see a folder with the supreme ergonomics that are in the C-60 Ayoob model ( especially the G-10 Sprint Run). Which is why I'm hoping and praying that Mr. Ayoob and Mr. Glesser will hopefully do another design from Massad Ayoob.
Hi JD. Havent handled the Temp 1 but I do have one of the trainer versions that feels great. To me the Temp's are iconic Spyderco.
BTW you & others are slowly chipping away at me on pulling the trigger on a Ayoob model, I would love one in CF designer steel too.I love the older Spyderco models, vintage goodness!! Take care, Matt.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

tvenuto wrote:D'allara, R, Kris, Manix XL, Aqua Salt, Warrior.
Another vote for the Aqua Salt.

All my Spyerco fixed blades are extremely comfortable to carry, hold and use, much more so than any of their folders

The Jumpmaster and Rock Salt are a pleasure to use

Thin in the hand, it is perfect for me, much like the Aqua

And the Rock...Mr. Schempp gained a fun just for that alone

It's the best hand-fitting fixed blade I've owned, bar none. All grips are excellent!

Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

The Military, Yojimbo 2, and Manix 2 are probably my three favorites based on in-hand ergos.

The Police and Chinook are also very comfortable in hand. The Chinook especially seems to have just the right shape/size handle. "Fighter" handles with top and bottom guards are wonderful if they are the right size. I also really like Spyderco mid back-locks.

The Kiwi 4 is pretty wonderful too. For a small EDC knife to weigh 1.9oz(?), accommodate all four fingers, have a deep carry clip, and be ambidextrous is a pretty complete package.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
BTG

Post by BTG »

Nirvana ...might be residual infatuation, but feels like it was made for me....then probably the Ti Millie, love the ergo's and the heft..but not too heavy.....don't want a tank, but gotta be solid.
paladin

Post by paladin »

bh49 wrote:
paladin wrote: It'd certainly be easier for me to pick my "least ergonomic" Spyder! ;)
+1
All my Spydies, which I have or had have great ergos. Certainly C83 original, ATR, Natives, Calys, Adventura, Dodo, Lava are top tier among folders. Out of all of them C83 Persian and Ti Fluted N5 are the best.
Not a fan of the ergos of the Leafstorm and Rock Lobster. The closed blade of the Dyad is very uncomfortable on my palm when in use.

Of course the ergos for the Dogtag and Spydercard were of secondary consideration -- perhaps tertiary-- so it may not be even fair to consider a model such as that in the discussion.

I also was let down with the feel of the Shabaria...it looks like it would be ultra ergonomic, but it just hits my hand in all the wrong places. :(

...aside from those , all the others I've used have been above average to outstanding in hand. :D
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I only own 8 Spyders and all feel pretty good, but I haven't used any for a prolonged period. If I had to pick from what I have, it would be the Stretch! Definitely my favourite Lockback! The little Manbug's ergonomics surprised me when I took a foxes tail and dressed a couple of rabbits.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bh49

Post by bh49 »

paladin wrote: Not a fan of the ergos of the Leafstorm and Rock Lobster. The closed blade of the Dyad is very uncomfortable on my palm when in use.

Of course the ergos for the Dogtag and Spydercard were of secondary consideration -- perhaps tertiary-- so it may not be even fair to consider a model such as that in the discussion.

I also was let down with the feel of the Shabaria...it looks like it would be ultra ergonomic, but it just hits my hand in all the wrong places. :(

...aside from those , all the others I've used have been above average to outstanding in hand. :D
Agree on LeafStorm. Never hold Rock Lobster. Out of Dyads I had only Micro and ergos were not there, but it is tiny gens knife, so expectations were low.
Disagree with Shabaria. It is a dagger and when I hold it like a dagger, especially in reverse grip it is totally fine.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

paladin

Post by paladin »

bh49 wrote:
paladin wrote: Not a fan of the ergos of the Leafstorm and Rock Lobster. The closed blade of the Dyad is very uncomfortable on my palm when in use.

....Disagree with Shabaria. It is a dagger and when I hold it like a dagger, especially in reverse grip it is totally fine.
I personally don't have much calling to use my knives as daggers, but that makes sense with the Shabaria and never occurred to me to try and index it that way.

I've just held it saber or hammer style...next time I pull mine out to fondle I'll try it as you advise...thanks! :) :spyder: :)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Pretty boring compared to a lot of choices here, but I love my Delicas.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

paladin wrote: I personally don't have much calling to use my knives as daggers, but that makes sense with the Shabaria and never occurred to me to try :) :spyder: :)
I do not use my knifes as daggers either, so I do not carry my Shabarias. But they look really great in display case between Persians :)