New KW Military in CTS-204P

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Re: New KW Military in CTS-204P

Post by MacLaren »

Lol....I'll swear, I mentioned that the Cruwear was the sharpest outta the box. But that was just judging by feel.
Thought I alteast ought to cut some phonebook paper.
And so I did....hated to do that with the 52100, as I kinda wanted to keep her a safe queen until I knew what was goin down with my KC pre order, but what the hey....
And so I did, and here is how they ranked at slicing thru phonebook paper....
3. Cruwear
2. 52100 - although Cruwear very close
1. CTS-204P Surprise Suprise....its a light saber lol.....
I must of just got a jim dandy from Golden....now Im sure they're will be different results once sharpened.
But for being straight outta Golden they did a phenomenal job on that Carpenters steel.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

How fast you guys think these will sell out?

Moving across the county for the second time this year so money is super tight right now.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:How fast you guys think these will sell out?

Moving across the county for the second time this year so money is super tight right now.
No worries AFAIK.
Just talkes with KW today, and they said plenty were left.
Although now is a great time to buy considering the Yeti Rambler they throw in.
Malfeasant

Post by Malfeasant »

Lol, bought mine two weeks ago. If I just waited it would've been $9 cheaper and a free yeti.... *grumbles*

It is a great folder, happy to have one. It is a you say in my experience as well, very nicely made and super smooth action. Grats on the purchase and timing.
Last edited by Malfeasant on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always been obsessed with knives... Is that some type of disease?
Malfeasant

Post by Malfeasant »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:How fast you guys think these will sell out?

I don't imagine they're moving out too quick because of that promotional deal offered. Definitely not going as fast as the 52100s.
Always been obsessed with knives... Is that some type of disease?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Malfeasant wrote:Lol, bought mine two weeks ago. If I just waited it would've been $9 cheaper and a free yeti.... *grumbles*

It is a great folder, happy to have one. It is a you say in my experience as well, very nicely made and super smooth action. Grats on the purchase and timing.
Thank you :)
And I agree, those 52100's dont last long at all on the forums either. Very hot item...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Family Portrait
CTS-204P, 52100x2, CPM-CRUWEAR, CPM-S90V
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

My CTS-204P family of Spydies.
They perform so very well....
10just

Post by 10just »

dude I just got mine last thursday.. the Yeti cup was such an awesome bonus, i put ice in it and was outside in about 80 degree weather for over 4 hours and the ice didnt melt. This model was my first millie and you guys are right the action is BUTTER, the fit and finish are TOP TIER.. super hyped
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

10just wrote:dude I just got mine last thursday.. the Yeti cup was such an awesome bonus, i put ice in it and was outside in about 80 degree weather for over 4 hours and the ice didnt melt. This model was my first millie and you guys are right the action is BUTTER, the fit and finish are TOP TIER.. super hyped
Lol.....yes!
That Yeti Rambler is the beez kneez lol!
And I dont think this 204P Millie will ever leave my pocket lol.....
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well, its been a few day's since getting the 204p version Millie. This thing just continues to impress.....the action has gotten even better. Its really is just pure silk.
Such a joy to use!
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I'm going to revive this thread and add my thoughts, since I just acquired one of these a few days ago.

The good:
- Action: Definitely one of the smoothest Militaries I've owned. Blade drops freely with just a little nudge. I currently don't have any lube at all on the pivot area, so this is quite impressive.
- Lockup: This is the only Military I've owned that didn't have lock stick or lock squeak. Lockup is nice and tight with only the teeniest bit of side to side play if I really put pressure on it. Lockbar sits in the perfect spot, fully engaged yet still early lockup.
- Fit and Finish: Very good. Extremely grippy peel-ply texture on the G10. Jimping is possible the sharpest of any Spydie I've owned. Almost everything looks great on this knife with just a few exceptions (see below). I especially appreciated the slightly looser clip tension. I've always found the tension on other Millies to be a little tight for my taste.
- Fun factor: Can't put my finger on it, but this thing is so much fun to open and close. It feels different than other Millies I've owned, and I like it.
- Appearance: I really like the forest green color of the scales. Light enough to have some visual "pop", but dark enough to hide dirt.
- CQI: The recent changes are spectacular as others have already mentioned. I think the larger hardware and lanyard tube definitely make the knife look more balanced. The spoon clip is much more comfortable in hand as well.

The bad:
- Fit and Finish: None of the body or pivot screws were secure from the factory (only the clip screws were secure). They were all coming loose after 20-30 cycles of opening/closing the blade. I can understand one or two screws, but this was 6 total. Not a big deal, but applying loctite and waiting for it to dry isn't something I want to have to do on a brand new knife.
- Sharpness: Decent out of the box, but not as sharp as some other Spydies I've bought. Compared to the Cruwear Millie I just got rid of, this one takes considerably more force to separate material. This is probably due to a more obtuse bevel, which will get fixed eventually.
- Steel: I've owned one knife in each flavor of this steel recipe (Ritter Griptilian in M390, G10 Griptilian in CPM-20CV, and now this Military in CTS-204p), and I've had chipping/rolling issues on every single one. I don't really use my knives hard. I mostly cut cardboard, open mail, plastic packaging, etc. I've only cut a few things with this particular knife since I've had it, and there's already a very small roll (or maybe chip, hard to tell) in the edge about an inch or so down from the tip. The only thing I can think of is I was opening a case of canned soda and maybe I hit one of the cans with the blade? Still, I've done this multiple times with all my other knives and never had any chipping or rolling. Here's a pic...

Overall I'm really pleased with this blade, notwithstanding the issues noted above. If I had to do it over I'd definitely buy it again. Looking forward to seeing how it holds up in my uses over time.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Great write up!
Ya know, I've not had any loosening of scews yet.
And whats funny is my 204P was sharper outta the box than both my 52100's and my Cruwear Millie.
Of course these are production knives.
Thank you for adding to the thread. There's been a lot of very positive write ups about the new Millies. And this just adds to that list.
Please keep us updated as time goes by. You both know much more about the mechanics of the knife and steel than I do, and Im sure you will use it much more than I will.
Thanx again!
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

MacLaren wrote:Great write up!
And whats funny is my 204P was sharper outta the box than both my 52100's and my Cruwear Millie.
Thank you for adding to the thread. There's been a lot of very positive write ups about the new Millies. And this just adds to that list.
Please keep us updated as time goes by. You both know much more about the mechanics of the knife and steel than I do, and Im sure you will use it much more than I will.
Thanx again!
Interesting. My plastic baggie was torn and box was kinda beat up too. I considered the possibility that my knife was one that got returned by someone else and then re-sold, but I'd be surprised if Knifeworks turned around a sold a returned knife as brand new.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

ejames13 wrote:
Thanx again!
Interesting. My plastic baggie was torn and box was kinda beat up too. I considered the possibility that my knife was one that got returned by someone else and then re-sold, but I'd be surprised if Knifeworks turned around a sold a returned knife as brand new.
Wow. My box and plastic baggie were in perfect condition. You can tell when they are, ya know?
I mean they were just like brand new so to speake.

Lol.....and nice snag on that Delica over on BF!!
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

MacLaren wrote:
ejames13 wrote:
Thanx again!
Wow. My box and plastic baggie were in perfect condition. You can tell when they are, ya know?
I mean they were just like brand new so to speake.

Lol.....and nice snag on that Delica over on BF!!
Ha yea I've been hunting for one for the past couple of weeks. Even installed a Google Chrome extension to automatically refresh the page every 1 minute haha!
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

Heads up: just got an email saying that these are going for $180 ($20 off) on KW's site until July 31! Sale starts on the 29th.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Very tempting. This is the test for my Iron Will, especially considering that good looking para with M4 will go on sale in few days.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Fallen wrote:Heads up: just got an email saying that these are going for $180 ($20 off) on KW's site until July 31! Sale starts on the 29th.
It says 139.99....whattttttt
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb