Native 4 black serrated... anymore left

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SC_PATRIOT

Native 4 black serrated... anymore left

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Got the above from Knife works today. Their last one and the only one I have found anywhere. Anyone know where I can pickup an old school one of these. I believe the Native 5 has abolished them!
ZrowsN1s

Re: Native 4 black serrated... anymore left

Post by ZrowsN1s »

soonerStateKnives.com might have a few native 4's left. they had some knives labeled as native 5's and a few labled native. might be worth checking out.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

FYI,
Native4 never was produced in SE or PE. It was short life production model, made in Japan with FFG VG10 blade and polished CF scales. Most likely you are talking about Native SE
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I really like the old serrated Native! Bought one for a buddy last year and felt myself really tempted to get one for myself. Nice looking grind and very useful serration pattern. Kind of in between fully serrated and combo edge.
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

ZrowsN1s wrote:soonerStateKnives.com might have a few native 4's left. they had some knives labeled as native 5's and a few labled native. might be worth checking out.
OMG! You just saved my life. I got the serrated with no DLC. I can sleep now since I ha e my EDC back and a backup in the safe. THANKS for the reference.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am pretty sure you bought a Native1, not a Native4. The Native1 was just recently discontinued.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

Can anyone link to or describe some of the differences between the various Native models? I've tried looking online but my google-fu seems to be weak today.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ShaneInDenver wrote:Can anyone link to or describe some of the differences between the various Native models? I've tried looking online but my google-fu seems to be weak today.
Left to right below:

Native 0, also known as the Blue Ridge Knives 1st Generation Native. Short version - Spyderco outsourced manufacture of its components to a couple US companies, was dissatisfied with the result, sold be parts to Blue Ridge, and "disavowed" the competed knives. Made in 1997.

Native 1, also know as the Native Lightweight. First Native manufactured by Spyderco in Golden, stayed in lineup from '98 to '14. The one shown is my beater. Clip has been removed and pardon the grimy handle.

Native 2, all stainless version, manufactured in Japan, was in the lineup from '98 to '09

Native 3, Had a separate model number C78. FRN with a contoured handle, manufactured in Japan, was in the lineup from '03 to '09. The one below is the 2003 Spyderco Forum version.

Native 4, Carbon fiber handle, manufactured in Japan. Very limited production, it was meant as a test bed for the design that became the Native 5

Native 5, Most have black G-10 handles, the one below is the 2013 Spyderco Forum version in green G-10

Native 5 Lightweight, first major redesign of the Native Lightweight in 17 years. Changes include a multi-piece FRN handle, 4 way clip, and improved lock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

You are correct Deacon, it's the Native 1 that was made in Golden. The best EDC for my tastes that I've ever had. Lasted me through college and 10 years later. New one is good too but I don't like the S35v
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

Thank you Paul! I love learning stuff like this. I have a Native I picked up at the factory second sale that has a brown FRN handle with XHP steel, but I've never been able to figure out which model it is. By your description I believe it is a Native 1. Your Spyderco collection is amazing btw.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

SC_PATRIOT wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:soonerStateKnives.com might have a few native 4's left. they had some knives labeled as native 5's and a few labled native. might be worth checking out.
OMG! You just saved my life. I got the serrated with no DLC. I can sleep now since I ha e my EDC back and a backup in the safe. THANKS for the reference.
glad i could help! Ya, if it wasn't for the spydie forum i never would have found my SuperBlue D'Fly. This place is cool like that.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

ShaneInDenver wrote:Thank you Paul! I love learning stuff like this. I have a Native I picked up at the factory second sale that has a brown FRN handle with XHP steel, but I've never been able to figure out which model it is. By your description I believe it is a Native 1. Your Spyderco collection is amazing btw.
It is a Native1 and it was a Knifecenter exclusive from 3 years ago.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?