New Endura with blade discolouration

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rafal07bc

New Endura with blade discolouration

Post by rafal07bc »

This is my first post on this forum so I would like to welcome everyone.

I just purchased new Endura 4 and it came in with discoloured blade. It looks a bit like marks from handling it by I couldn't get the off by wiping the blade.

Is this a sign of some serious issue with the blade? Maybe I was sold blade that was rejected by Quality Control? Or this is something I should not worry about and is within limits of quality Spyderco provides (this should be new knife)? In this case what is the best way to clean it of? It just doesn't look right. In reality this discolouration is much more visible then on picture.

This marks are on one side of the blade only.
EnduraSmall.jpg
Link to full size picture: https://redtulip1-my.sharepoint.com/per ... 5d44&rev=1

Please let me know what is your opinion.
Jazz

Re: New Endura with blade discolouration

Post by Jazz »

Don't know what to tell you. Where did you get it from? Looks like some customs guy was handling it with dirty fingers. Soap and water won't clean it off? Welcome, by the way, and that same knife is in my back pocket right now.
- best wishes, Jazz.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Does look like fingerprints to me.

2 choices:
1. Return to sender, explaining your are unhappy.

2. See if it cleans off with a little hot water and a wipe or a little tot of WD40 or gunoil....

I see often in some S30v knives where the factory oil has been touched by the mail order clerk in the store (checking the knife is OK before shipping) and the fingerprints have formed a 'waxy' coating by reacting with the oil, rather than reacting with the steel....

Fingerprints are acidic and will react happily with many oils to form something waxy but not damaging.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

In my experience, VG-10 does tend to "haze". Most times the haze follows the contour of the handle, on the part of the blade that's exposed when the knife is closed, but it can be "blotchy" too, like your knife. I've learned to live with it, unless I want to photograph a knife, the a bit of Simichrome on a rag takes care of it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum, you might try some flitz polish to remove the marks, or just put that blade to work and forget about it.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Some metal Polish should clear that up. Flitz is popular. I have some Maguire's I use on my car that works well. The auto parts store should have quite a few to choose from.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It looks normal to me. I would wipe it off with soap and water, dry it well, then put a light coat of oil and wipe that off, leaving only the barest hint of it. That will take care of your finger prints.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Welcome to the forum rafal07bc!

Looks like a mild patina that didn't form where someones oily fingers touched the blade. I wouldn't do anything about it if it was mine. If you want to remove it Flitz works great.

Best regards!
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
rafal07bc

Post by rafal07bc »

Thanks everyone for your help. You where right. Good cleaning removed the stains.