Nameless Spyderco Knives.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Big Nick

Nameless Spyderco Knives.

Post by Big Nick »

I am just curious as to why many Spyderco knives don’t have the model name on the knife blade, as l lot of other knife companies do. Even many custom makers put the model of the knife on the blade.

Looking at my collection, only my stainless steel SE Police model actually had the model name on the blade.
I guess it lends itself to a cleaner looking blade.

Interested to hear other Spydie fans thoughts and opinions.
Cheers, BN 
Sharp Guy

Re: Nameless Spyderco Knives.

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm curious what other companies put the model name on their blades?

I may not have as many knives from different manufacturers as some but I have knives from at least 6 or 7 manufacturers and only 1 (Kai) puts the model number (not name) on their blades. Personally, I don't think I'd want anymore markings on the blade than what's already there. I don't even particularly like knives with the Spyderco Collector's number or the additional markings on the Forum Knives.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

CRKT puts a lot of knives names on their blades.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I wouldn't mind it located somewhere on the knife but it would have to be done tastefully or be hidden.

Or be like Kai/ZT and just put writing everywhere.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

For me, the less writing the better.

But there are some things I always like to see on a Spyderco, a maker's mark from any of my favorite designers and Golden, Colorado. U.S.A. Earth.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd have to agree, less is more. On some rare occasions I like it, like the old Military that had it on the blade, but for the most part I like my blades as sterile as I can get them..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

Sharp Guy wrote:I'm curious what other companies put the model name on their blades?

I may not have as many knives from different manufacturers as some but I have knives from at least 6 or 7 manufacturers and only 1 (Kai) puts the model number (not name) on their blades. Personally, I don't think I'd want anymore markings on the blade than what's already there. I don't even particularly like knives with the Spyderco Collector's number or the additional markings on the Forum Knives.

All Benchmades have the model number on the blade. And I aged about the collectors club maked blades. I won't buy one.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

aquaman67 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:I'm curious what other companies put the model name on their blades?

All Benchmades have the model number on the blade. And I aged about the collectors club maked blades. I won't buy one.
You're right, I have two BM's and one HK and, while I had noticed it on the HK, on the BM's it's printed so tiny under the logo that I never saw it. Now that you mention it, all my Bucks have the model number too. Either way, it's not something that's important to me. I don't always remember model numbers, especially Spyderco's, but I've never had a problem remembering the name which is actually the topic in question.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

I prefer the nameless blades. Just a cleaner look. I also thinks it makes it look more professional, or higher quality. To me, putting name on blade seems cheesy..

And on a related topic, I love that Spyderco actually refers to each knife by a name, ie, Dodo, Yojimbo, Manix, etc, instead of 710, 5150, or 90210!
BTG

Post by BTG »

I like it the way they are....FRN has model names on the scales...good enough for me.