Searching for a World Trade Center Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bbecerra2016

Searching for a World Trade Center Knife

Post by bbecerra2016 »

Hey Spyderco community,

Does anyone on here know where I could possibly buy a World Trade Center knife that was a tribute to John D'Alarra? I had no idea that these knives were made and would love to have one. I looked on eBay and couldn't find one. John is my cousin and would love to have this on display at my home. If any collector is willing to sell their knife I will pay any price for it. Hope to hear from you all soon.

-Brandon
jabba359

Re: Searching for a World Trade Center Knife

Post by jabba359 »

I'd try contacting Spyderco. They had a batch of about 100 they held back during the original sales and then they released them in 2014. Perhaps they still have a couple remaining.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

That's odd, there's one on eBay right now and there have been several listed there over the past few months. I'f Spyderco doesn't have any more you might try modifying your eBay search criteria. I found the ones mentioned using "Spyderco World Trade".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bbecerra,

Welcome to our forum.

John was a good man and a Spyderco advocate. Good luck on your search. Keep us posted.

sal
bbecerra2016

Post by bbecerra2016 »

Thanks guys, I did contact spyderco and they told me to create an account here and ask around because they no longer have

And thank you for the tip. I just found the knife on eBay. They only have one and it's up for bidding. Hopefully things work out.
bbecerra2016

Post by bbecerra2016 »

Thank you Sal, I really appreciate that. And thank you for sharing that. I love learning more about him and had no idea that he was really into spyderco knives. I will keep you posted for sure!
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

There's one in the UK @ framar custom knives it's £475 but as the pound is weak that might be a ok price in USD

Hope it's ok to post a link?
http://www.framarcustomknives.co.uk/sto ... er/5292608

Lee
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

£475.00 would be around $630.80 US.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bbecerra2016

Post by bbecerra2016 »

Thank you guys. I'm bidding on one that is on eBay right now. Bidding ends in 2 hours. It's at $160. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-911-worl ... nav=SEARCH

It looks legit, I hope it's not a fake. What do you guys think?
Donut

Post by Donut »

The picture looks legit, but the seller is in Israel.

I'm not an expert on ebay at all. He has 9 items for sale, 7 are fishing lures, 1 pair of gloves, and a WTC Knife.

He does have a 100% rating of 53. The description says ebay will refund you if it isn't as described.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bbecerra2016

Post by bbecerra2016 »

That's what I was worried about too. And the price seems to be a little too low for the value of the knife.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The WTC version of the D'Allara would probably rank as one of the most difficult Spydercos to fake. To me that would indicate it's almost certainly real, unless the knife pictured was not the actual knife, but I can't be 100% sure. Know there was one well known Israeli scammer on the forums a few years back, but am sure there are a lot of honest "knife guys" there too.

As for pricing. Auction prices often stay low until the last few seconds of the auction, so a low price 2 hours out isn't an indication of anything other than a knife that may attract more sophisticated buyers. Final price may have been a factor of the minimal pictures and the obvious imperfections - the small dark spot above the Spyderhole and the dark marks on the WTC outline. Fact it was located outside the US could have been a factor as well simply because a lot of US buyers limit their searches to items located in the USA, which reduces the pool of potential bidders.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bbecerra2016

Post by bbecerra2016 »

Thank you for that information. I wasn't feeling right about the seller so I backed out from the bidding. I sent him e-mails last night and he couldn't provide more pictures of the knife or the letter that comes with the knife. I'm going to continue looking.
BTG

Post by BTG »

bbecerra2016 wrote:Thank you for that information. I wasn't feeling right about the seller so I backed out from the bidding. I sent him e-mails last night and he couldn't provide more pictures of the knife or the letter that comes with the knife. I'm going to continue looking.

Haven't seen anything in a bit, wondering how the search is going....any luck?
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

I watched that auction to see if he won but it was hard to tell. The bidding on that knife only went up to $265.00. That's one of the lowest prices I've seen a WTC D'Allara EVER go for. I think it was a combination of the seller being in Israel with no other knives for sale, and the apparent scratches on the WTC inlay. Still would have been a really good deal.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
bbecerra2016

Post by bbecerra2016 »

Hey guys,

I'm still searching. I'm checking eBay everyday to see if one gets put up for sale or bidding. I did find a Spyderco D'Allara Rescue knife on eBay so if I can't find the World Trade Center Knife, I would be happy buying that. But I'm going to keep trying for the wtc knife before I settle.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Two basic criteria I would recommend when searching out a "D'Allara" World Trade Center Spyderco model>> first I would want one with one of the earlier numbers on it. Second a very important make very sure you get one with the Wood Case that was made specially for that model.

Bascially all the World Trade Center model boils down to is a "D'Allara" model with S-30V blade steel and to the best of my memory I believe it was made at the Golden, CO plant. Now I'm not saying that's bad or negative but you might want to consider a Japan Made D'Allara model>> I do believe that one of them would be much easier to find.

If you do get lucky and find one with the box and low collector number on it you'll probably pay a super inflated price for it at this stage of the game. I had a D'Allara model that was a "User"/EDC model and it cut like a beast and I had fond memories of it. But do be careful in your search and don't settle for second best because I'm certain you'll find one like I mentioned if you're just patient.
vespertillio

Post by vespertillio »

What would be considered a low number for this knife?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

vespertillio wrote:What would be considered a low number for this knife?
I don't know. Anything in the single or double digits?

Since they don't pop up that often, I don't think the number should really be an important consideration. As long as the knife is in good shape and has the wooden box, I couldn't care less what number it has on it. Though if I remember correctly, Spyderco kept number 666 for their display.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
BTG

Post by BTG »

jabba359 wrote:
vespertillio wrote:What would be considered a low number for this knife?
I don't know. Anything in the single or double digits?

Since they don't pop up that often, I don't think the number should really be an important consideration. As long as the knife is in good shape and has the wooden box, I couldn't care less what number it has on it. Though if I remember correctly, Spyderco kept number 666 for their display.
I not sure how they were released, but I just mine last September when they released the last 100...and I got number 1818....
Out of 2819....so IMHO any number 2819 or under works.... Plus the Box...and the letter.....I really want to see this guy get one...you know, it's family for him.