SE Native 5 or Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mrtodd777

SE Native 5 or Delica?

Post by mrtodd777 »

Hi friends,

After receiving my first two salts (dragonfly SE, and tasman PE) I have come to the conclusion that I love the Spyder Edge for certain tasks. Since my salts are used almost specifically for when I am in the water (they are yellow so they stick out like a sore thumb) I was wanting to add a second SE knife to my everyday carry line up. What knives do you recommend that are not part of the salt line up? I am going to be carrying this knife along with My bradley 2, PM2, Sage1, or Endura wave...whichever peaks my interest on any given morning. ( I like to rotate blades throughout the week..) Thanks for any and all suggestions..
SG89

Re: SE Native 5 or Delica?

Post by SG89 »

Delica 4. The native 5 handle is too thick IMO
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Both the Native 5 or Delica would work well as a backup serrated knife.

I like the Native's full flat grind, choil and very solid lock.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Both the Native5 and Delica4 are great designs. A lot may depend on your preferences, though. For instance, the Native has a 50/50 choil, while the Delica is without a choil. The Native's blade is a bit taller, while the Delica's is a bit more slender. The Native5's LW handle is more squared-off than the Delica's handle. There really isn't a bad choice between them, honestly. If possible, I'd hold them both and see which one is more comfortable in your hand.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I have to respectfully disagree with some of my dear comrades but the NATIVE 5 hands down is truly the best of the two models in my humble opinion. And I base that on some very hard usage over the years. My original 440V SE Native has seen some really demanding cutting chores and has come out on top each time.

I can't wait to get my hands on a Native 5 because frankly my 440V SE Native deserves a rest :rolleyes: >> And I've heard good things about S35V in Spyderedge. But even with a plain edged blade you have a really bulky and rigid folder that will take on some pretty mean cutting jobs.

The Delica is a time tested model and I've had a few of them over the years but for really demanding cutting jobs I'll go with one of the NATIVE models every time.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

This is all great advice and I truly appreciate it. Right now, I am leaning towards the Native, but I am VERY open to other options as well. Am I forgetting other SE options that would fit the bill for Medium to Hard use daily carry?
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I use an SE or CE Delica in this type of back up role usually but only because I haven't picked up the Native 5 SE yet.

For other options I would say the SE or CE Endura, also the CE Manix 2

If you can find a discontinued Stretch SE or CE you won't be disapointed.

Spyderco teeth are the best out there. Unfortunately they are becoming less common as teeth tend not to sell that well. There was word that there will be a CE (mostly serrated witha small plain portion I would guess) Para2 coming out in 52100, not sure when but that would be a beast.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SpyderNut wrote:Both the Native5 and Delica4 are great designs. A lot may depend on your preferences, though. For instance, the Native has a 50/50 choil, while the Delica is without a choil. The Native's blade is a bit taller, while the Delica's is a bit more slender. The Native5's LW handle is more squared-off than the Delica's handle. There really isn't a bad choice between them, honestly. If possible, I'd hold them both and see which one is more comfortable in your hand.
^ This!

Deciding which one you'd prefer. I couldn't decide and ended up getting a few versions of each. :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Native. Better steel and better grind in SE.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

akaAK wrote:
There was word that there will be a CE (mostly serrated witha small plain portion I would guess) Para2 coming out in 52100, not sure when but that would be a beast.

Word where? Did I miss this? So the CE PM2 is happening and in a non stainless steel?
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

This is the only knife forum I am on so here. It was mentioned briefly and the the thread was pulled if I remember correctly. There was to be a PE and SE run planned. I think a dealer had put it up on their site then pulled it off.

Or I have lost my mind waiting for serrations on a PM2.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm a big fan of both knives and I'd say that if you're looking for a more versatile handle, that's more comfortable to use in a variety of grips, then I'd recommend the Delica. The N5 shines in really locking in a forward or reverse edge-out grip. The N5 does offer a more versatile handle than the previous Native designs, but I still think the Delica offers a better overall utility design. Then again, the N5 also offers that sweet FFG serrated edge and its fit and finish are superb. Better go with the universal knife discussion forum reply: get both. ;)
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

That Native 5 seems like the way to go. no disrespect to the classic delica.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

NAtive 5 SE should be here tomorrow!! Thanks for the help guys and gals.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Hey everone! So I received my Native and I already love the way it feels in hand. It almost screams at you "Cut something already!!" Anyways, being fairly new to Spyderco (this is my 9th Spydie) I did have a question in regards to the way the knife opens. Opening my endura and two dragonflys feels very smooth and I can perfectly time the lock up. These are both easily flickable (not a must). With my native,It feels as if there are several areas during opening that are much harder to overcome than other areas. It is definitely not as smooth. I have tried a drop of tuf glide and it helped somewhat.. IS this normal for a lockback knife? I know that a lock back will not swing as freely as a liner lock, or compression lock, but I am just curious. I still love the knife and plan on keeping it. Any Ideas anyone?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Both of my Native 5 LWs needed a little time to break in. Now they're both very smooth. Neither of them will flick open because the spring is too strong. I can flick my N5 G10's open but not the LWs which doesn't bother me at all.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Sharp Guy wrote:Both of my Native 5 LWs needed a little time to break in. Now they're both very smooth. Neither of them will flick open because the spring is too strong. I can flick my N5 G10's open but not the LWs which doesn't bother me at all.
Thats kind of what I was thinking as well. Thanks for the input. I love the knife. I see you are in DFW. Me too. I am up in North Garland off of Bush and 78.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

mrtodd777 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:Both of my Native 5 LWs needed a little time to break in. Now they're both very smooth. Neither of them will flick open because the spring is too strong. I can flick my N5 G10's open but not the LWs which doesn't bother me at all.
Thats kind of what I was thinking as well. Thanks for the input. I love the knife. I see you are in DFW. Me too. I am up in North Garland off of Bush and 78.
I'm in Flower Mound. Today is the 1 yr anniversary of my relocating to TX from N. IL.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
mrtodd777 wrote:
I'm in Flower Mound. Today is the 1 yr anniversary of my relocating to TX from N. IL.
I am not to familiar with Flower Mound. What do you think of the Lone Star State so far?
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Another vote for the Native. I have a CF Native. The 3/4 (or 50/50 whatever you call it) choil does it for me.