52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cujobob

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by Cujobob »

It appears I'm getting some light corrosion in the pivot area of the blade, what's the best way to take care of this and prevent it going forward? I assume polish it out, but then I'm not certain as I have no corrosion anywhere else outside of some minor patina. Would polishing it out and forcing patina work?

I really enjoy this knife so far, hope I can make it last, typically I have only had stainless (or close enough to it) folding knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cujobob wrote:It appears I'm getting some light corrosion in the pivot area of the blade, what's the best way to take care of this and prevent it going forward? I assume polish it out, but then I'm not certain as I have no corrosion anywhere else outside of some minor patina. Would polishing it out and forcing patina work?

I really enjoy this knife so far, hope I can make it last, typically I have only had stainless (or close enough to it) folding knives.
If it's light rust you may get away with something like CLR on a q-tip and it may just wipe off. As for preventing it I've been using Tuf-Glide on my pivot and tang and so far I haven't had any issues in that area.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Cujobob wrote:It appears I'm getting some light corrosion in the pivot area of the blade, what's the best way to take care of this and prevent it going forward? I assume polish it out, but then I'm not certain as I have no corrosion anywhere else outside of some minor patina. Would polishing it out and forcing patina work?

I hit my pivot with some nano oil right out of the gate and put a drop or two in every once in a while. Of course I haven't taken mine apart yet so not sure if its doing the trick but maybe should now that you mention it.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

farnorthdan wrote:

I hit my pivot with some nano oil right out of the gate and put a drop or two in every once in a while. Of course I haven't taken mine apart yet so not sure if its doing the trick but maybe should now that you mention it.
Heck of a reason to void your warranty.

Someone once told me "If you go looking for trouble, you're liable to find it." I've got a 40+ year old 8OT stockman in my pocket right now that has 1095 carbon steel blades, has been wet and had surface rust more times than I can count, has never been apart and still works just like it did when I bought it all those years ago. I think y'all worry too much.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

yablanowitz wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:

Heck of a reason to void your warranty.

Someone once told me "If you go looking for trouble, you're liable to find it." I've got a 40+ year old 8OT stockman in my pocket right now that has 1095 carbon steel blades, has been wet and had surface rust more times than I can count, has never been apart and still works just like it did when I bought it all those years ago. I think y'all worry too much.
Yep, definately a warranty void, sometimes it's worth it to me though, like putting some real nice micarta scales on my Cruwear millie, man that one turned out nice. I probably won't take this 52100 apart unless it start showing signs of problems. So far it's been very smooth.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

yablanowitz wrote: Heck of a reason to void your warranty.

I'd point out that it's also probably a lot easier to keep rust out of a pivot on a knife that has such a tight pivot. Granted, it's also a lot easier to clean out, but if you just keep that pivot oiled I think the lack of gaps between liners and the blade help to keep moisture out. That's always been my theory anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

farnorthdan wrote: I hit my pivot with some nano oil right out of the gate and put a drop or two in every once in a while. Of course I haven't taken mine apart yet so not sure if its doing the trick but maybe should now that you mention it.

Is the Nano oil food safe?
I've never tried their products yet...
Going back to Caly.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

SpeedHoles wrote:
farnorthdan wrote: I hit my pivot with some nano oil right out of the gate and put a drop or two in every once in a while. Of course I haven't taken mine apart yet so not sure if its doing the trick but maybe should now that you mention it.

Is the Nano oil food safe?
I've never tried their products yet...
Oh I'm sure it probably isn't but I'm not too worried about miniscule amount of oil that might get on my blade and I usually wash my blade off after cutting fruit and such. I try not too put so much in that it slobbers out anyways.

One of the things I like about the nano oil too is the tube it comes in, it has a needle like application tip which let's you get right in there on pivot area.

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Went ahead and re-profiled my user last night, I was having a hard time getting a burr with the SM so broke out the EP, I ended up having to use my Atoma 400 to finally get a burr (@ 18 dps), 52100 is way tougher than I thought it would be. Once I got the edge set on both sides it cleaned up real nice though. Sure do like this steel.

ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I just got my preorder fulfilled through knifecenter.com, I didn't actually that it was going to go through. I preordered 5/26 and saw they charged my card this morning, 7/25.
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Anddddddd that will be the absolute LAST time I pre-order/order from Knife Center! I got a fantastic email informing me that my pre-order won't be filled because they wont be receiving anymore pieces. :mad: :mad: Thanks Knifecenter!
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yea that kinda sucks, when did you place your pre-order? You would think they wouldn't leave up a pre-order if it couldn't be filled. I don't buy from them very often but must admit my pre-order did get filled but I placed it 1-8-15. I still didn't trust that it would get filled so ended up buying from other vendors just to make sure. I know a couple vendors still have some, last time I checked SSK still had some.

spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Mine was really late, May sometime? Either way they still should have some account on their stock numbers throughout the entire process. It's just a major letdown. :( But on the upside I have one in my cross-hairs at the moment! :)
61 Spydies and Counting.

s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. I really hate to hear that man.
Hope ya can pull the trigger on the one that you have in your crosshairs :)
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

52100 coming :)
61 Spydies and Counting.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

What do y'all think......?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Looking real good Paul,

Have you been carrying it much? Mine seems to find it's way into my pocket a lot, I have to force myself to carry something else, it is such a great piece, I'm so glad I got a back up or two :D What are you using to get a patina or is it just natural?

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx Dan :)

Yeah, I do carry it. Like it a lot too, along with my 204P Military.
Dan, thats the result of 1 hour dipped in McDdonalds Breakfast Blend Coffee.
Going for the 2nd hour as I write this.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

2nd hour results....
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Going to stop here for the night.
See whats what tomorrow. May just leave as is because I kinda like this look...