Dirt - Gray vs natural G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brock O Lee

Dirt - Gray vs natural G10

Post by Brock O Lee »

I am not a huge fan of gray G10 because it shows dirt so easily.

I did not get the Jade PM2, but I am curious, how does jade/natural G10 compare with gray G10 in terms of staying clean? Which is worse?

(Yes I know both can easily be washed with soap and water, or cleaned with a magic eraser... ;) )
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
demoncase

Re: Dirt - Gray vs natural G10

Post by demoncase »

Brock O Lee wrote:I am not a huge fan of gray G10 because it shows dirt so easily.

I did not get the Jade PM2, but I am curious, how does jade/natural G10 compare with gray G10 in terms of staying clean? Which is worse?

(Yes I know both can easily be washed with soap and water, or cleaned with a magic eraser... ;) )
I've a Leafstorm with the jade G10 and can report it's a total sod for collecting dirt.....If anything, the translucence of the scale makes mank* easier to see than on my tan/grey M4 Manix.

*Technically term used in Northern England for unpleasant things- Anything manky is something dirty or disheveled, thus 'mank' is dirt.
EG: "The bogs in that pub are proper manky- it's even all over the ceiling, mate"
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I had a gray Cruwear Millie and now have a jade M4 PM2. I don't know that I've used the PM2 enough to comment on dirt, but I think the jade attracts denim dye from my jeans more than the gray.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I forgot about the translucence, and that it could show dirt from the inside...

Thanks for the Northern England vocabulary lesson Demoncase... I learnt something new... :)

Mank magnet then, eh?
Hans

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

demoncase wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote:I am not a huge fan of gray G10 because it shows dirt so easily.

I've a Leafstorm with the jade G10 and can report it's a total sod for collecting dirt.....If anything, the translucence of the scale makes mank* easier to see than on my tan/grey M4 Manix.

*Technically term used in Northern England for unpleasant things- Anything manky is something dirty or disheveled, thus 'mank' is dirt.
EG: "The bogs in that pub are proper manky- it's even all over the ceiling, mate"
Lol, I always enjoy learning new vernacular from you, Jon. "Mank" has been added to my urban dictionary. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SpyderNut wrote:
demoncase wrote:

Lol, I always enjoy learning new vernacular from you, Jon. "Mank" has been added to my urban dictionary. ;)
My genuine pleasure as always- It's useful to have the full available argot. :D

I'd add, for additional colour, that the word "minging" pronounced as in the Chinese vase can be used to describe something excessively dirty, very ugly or (especially) something which is manky but also smells....Interchangeably and with all of these implied at once.

Things may start off manky but without proper cleaning can end up minging fast. ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Brock O Lee wrote:I forgot about the translucence, and that it could show dirt from the inside...

Thanks for the Northern England vocabulary lesson Demoncase... I learnt something new... :)

Mank magnet then, eh?
Definately.

Careful it doesn't end up minging :D

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

demoncase wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
demoncase wrote:

My genuine pleasure as always- It's useful to have the full available argot. :D

I'd add, for additional colour, that the word "minging" pronounced as in the Chinese vase can be used to describe something excessively dirty, very ugly or (especially) something which is manky but also smells....Interchangeably and with all of these implied at once.

Things may start off manky but without proper cleaning can end up minging fast. ;)
"Minging!" I love it! I shall have all sorts of fun with this one. :D It would be great if you could do a "word of the week" or something for us here. I'm sure a lot of others would appreciate this too. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
timlara

Post by timlara »

Obviously, I've only had my BHQ PM2 for about a week, but so far it seems to be less prone to pick up dye from my jeans than my gray Cruwear Millie. My Millie gets blue smudges on it almost immediately if it's in my pocket on a warm day, but so far I don't see any stains on my PM2 yet. It's possible the translucence combined with the shadows from the liner cutouts, etc, helps camouflage dirt / smudges on the handle to a degree I guess, but for whatever reason, so far so good.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

So if I understand correctly, the word "minging" can be used to describe the state of some of those kayak knives in Costa Rica? :D
Hans

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Brock O Lee wrote:So if I understand correctly, the word "minging" can be used to describe the state of some of those kayak knives in Costa Rica? :D
Precisely!