Let's talk about variations in Tang Stamps

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Let's talk about variations in Tang Stamps

Post by Doc Dan »

I have not seen much concentrated discussion on Spyderco tang stamp variations and I do not know that it is documented anywhere. I hope some experts will chime in. I notice that, for example, my two Manbugs have different sized tang stamping on the pile side. The difference on the mark side is evident because of the longer wording. Also, I have noted some differences in Taiwan markings. I have read where others have panicked over this, but it seems to be that the factories change these up from time to time. I am not certain why, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
gingerninja

Re: Let's talk about variations in Tang Stamps

Post by gingerninja »

I think this should answer your questions

https://youtu.be/iP98RE4pwGw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Let's talk about variations in Tang Stamps

Post by Doc Dan »

No, that was not helpful. But thanks.

What I mean is that Spyderco knives will often have variations in tang stamps, even on the same models. Sometimes it is because the stamp machine may be wearing. But there is often a difference, slightly, in fonts. The dash on Seki-City may touch, or may not touch one, or both letters. My Manbugs, made a couple of years apart have slightly different lettering, but they are the same basic knife from the same factory. I have seen variations in PM2, PM1, Delica, and others. Sometimes the fonts seem completely different but the knives came from authorized dealers.
I know that such things happen with other companies and folks that collect Buck knives document all sort of differences. We do not seem to pay much attention.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050