Tighe Stick troubles - Resolved

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
baldanthony

Tighe Stick troubles - Resolved

Post by baldanthony »

Picked up a Tighe Stick today, and there is a considerable amount of lock stick. Enough that twice now I've had to close with two hands.
Played with the one *on display* at my local brick'n'mortar, and it was quite smooth. They handed me one that hadn't been touched for purchase, and I got so side-tracked looking at the Myrtle that like an idiot, I only did a once-over at the fit and finish of the one I was purchasing (no cosmetic issues, perfect centering yadda yadda.)
I did not actually open the one I was purchasing until I drove back home. I noticed at the lock interface, the angle of the blade tang is a little steep, so the lockbar interface may be digging into the blade more than it ought to. Lock-up is at 30-40%, and then the tang drops to an even steeper angle. For comparison, if it helps, it has the 'feel' of an early ZT 0561.
I'll attempt to upload a couple of pictures in a bit. Misplaced my camera :oP I'll see if I can get a couple of clear pics from my phone.

Does anybody here have experience with this knife? I could take it back and swap it out if this one is a quality issue. Quite possible that it'll work in, though. The display model I held was smooth as butter, maybe from a lot of handling? For a near $300 Spydie, I don't want to sit on it if it won't wear in. Thoughts/questions are welcome. Thanks, All! -Anthony
bearfacedkiller

Re: Tighe Stick troubles

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I doubt that anybody has any experience with it as it just came out. You are one of the first. The short answer is that if you are not satisfied then you should return it. I would not buy a frame lock that took two hands to disengage so I would return it. A little stick is one thing but that is excessive.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Try cleaning the surfaces that touch on the lock bar and tang. Q-tip and Hoppes. My Myrtle was like that.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Quick answer, return for exchange, also maybe try a sharpie at the lock interface, I know some custom makers recommend this until full break-in occurs.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
baldanthony

Post by baldanthony »

Hopefully this displays well. My phone is not being very cooperative, and I'm using a tablet to post. Ha!

I cleaned up the lock interface. It does work a little better. I'll work on it more this weekend and see if it wears in okay. I'll update when I have more info. Oh yeah, before this is comes across as a negative view of this knife, I want to emphatically state that this knife is incredible in every other way! :p
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

My K2 was a bit stiff when new, not two handed stiff.
I penciled(graphite) the lock bar face and it smoothed it out!
baldanthony

Post by baldanthony »

Thanks for the tips about sharpie/graphite on the lock bar face. It makes sense for reducing friction and some wear on the parts. I'm going to try that. I'm thinking the 2 times (out of at least a couple hundred cycles) that it took two hands to close may have had to do with my grip on the knife. At first, I was putting pressure against the lockbar with the first joint of my pointer finger while holding it (fully open, not while trying to close.) I think that pushed the lockbar in a bit, so when I went to close it, well.. I'm a junkie for taking apart knives, so I'll do that this weekend, clean and oil everything up, and try using a sharpie or graphite on the lock bar insert. I just didn't want to decide to do that until I was sure I would keep the knife. Seemed unfair for me to take it apart, service it and then return it/make it someone else's problem. Thanks for the tips, everyone. Greatly appreciated! Also kind of nice to know the Myrtle did that as well. Maybe these newer releases are taking a bit more to break in.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

baldanthony wrote:Thanks for the tips about sharpie/graphite on the lock bar face. It makes sense for reducing friction and some wear on the parts. I'm going to try that. I'm thinking the 2 times (out of at least a couple hundred cycles) that it took two hands to close may have had to do with my grip on the knife. At first, I was putting pressure against the lockbar with the first joint of my pointer finger while holding it (fully open, not while trying to close.) I think that pushed the lockbar in a bit, so when I went to close it, well.. I'm a junkie for taking apart knives, so I'll do that this weekend, clean and oil everything up, and try using a sharpie or graphite on the lock bar insert. I just didn't want to decide to do that until I was sure I would keep the knife. Seemed unfair for me to take it apart, service it and then return it/make it someone else's problem. Thanks for the tips, everyone. Greatly appreciated! Also kind of nice to know the Myrtle did that as well. Maybe these newer releases are taking a bit more to break in.
I wouldn't take it apart. A new knife shouldn't need to be taken apart to function correctly and doing so can potentially void the warranty, even if you do everything carefully and correctly. If it were mine and I couldn't fix it without disassembling it, then I'd return it for a new one. Just my 2¢.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
baldanthony

Post by baldanthony »

I feel I may have jumped the gun a bit... you all probably know 'that moment', where you notice something peculiar about your new purchase and get worked up about it, haha! Just wanted to update and provide more info, as the situation is loads better than I had first anticipated, and it would be a disservice to Spyderco not to share what's actually going on here. I'll post a pic below to show what I'm talking about.

So, first off, I cleaned the lock interface. There was a little bit of shop dust, but was really rather clean. I did rub a sparse amount of Tuf Glide while I was at it, but not enough to act as much of a lubricant or anything. Then I proceeded to open/close it a couple hundred times. The lock gradually loosened, and now there's just a slight amount of stick left. It's actually a good amount left, and it's there for a good reason. I was watching the tang as I closed the knife, to see where the lock interface was wearing in/making contact. I thought it was going to be pushing in too much at one spot, and I was puzzled because I didn't see scratches wearing in there. Looking closer, the light scratches were uniform across the tang. Really, what it is, the tang of the blade has a healthy amount of surface area. The interface is locking up at about 30%, but it's making contact across the whole lock bar. It still takes a little extra pressure to close, but I prefer that knowing that this lock should last a very long time, given how evenly it'll wear in. Kudos, Spyderco! I'll make more of an effort to investigate before crying to the forum next time :o

Here's a pic showing the length of contact between the lock bar insert and the tang:

kjd2121

Post by kjd2121 »

Maybe change the thread title to be fair.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

kjd2121 wrote:Maybe change the thread title to be fair.
;) I can help with that. If anything changes though in the other direction just give me a shout. We'll change it back.

Happy to see all is well now baldanthony!
There is nothing more important than this one day.
MacLaren

Re: Tighe Stick troubles - Resolved

Post by MacLaren »

I am in a real struggle trying to decide between the Stick and the Myrtle.....or just to wait for the Mamba.
If the Mamba will be out soon.......
Oh man......at first I really wanted the Myrtle, but that Stick with the unique blade and S90V is driving me mad lol....
jazz1

Post by jazz1 »

So at the sale/discontinued price is this a better value? See BladeHQ.com
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

jazz1 wrote:So at the sale/discontinued price is this a better value? See BladeHQ.com
I would say yes. I guess it depends what you're looking for though and what you consider value.