Ouch! Lost my old school FRN Serrated Delica today

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dr. Snubnose

Re: Ouch! Lost my old school FRN Serrated Delica today

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Thanks Araneae!!!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

says Dr. Jan L. Miller on left side of blade (engraved) letter "r" slightly cut off by SpyderHole....(Bad engraver) Thanks for wanting to keep an eye out for this Delica ;) .....Was originally Mr Father's knife never used cause he used to destroy any knife given to him...all knives were tools, and being a mechanic a knife became a pry bar and screwdriver and can opener....Glue Spreader...Chisel.....and if it broke! It was a piece of crap! :eek: ....My mother purchased this Delica for my father's birthday over 30 years ago along with an old school Red FRN Serrated Lady Bug, (at this time my parents were living in another state) but I remember being told about these special knives (no Mom doesn't know the Maker :rolleyes: ) with holes, But these were "special knives" and I quote my Father "They are too special and well made to use" :) ..... he meant abuse.....I never really did see the knives. My father passed away and my mother made me take all of his garage thingy's and tools. My father was an avid Fisherman (not me lol :p ) he had Rods and Reels and tackle boxes galore with hooks lines and sinkers...worms with hooks in them that look like Gummy Bears and flies that didn't look like real flies :confused: etc. All I knew was all that stuff was taking up to much space in my garage, and I wasn't going fishing anytime in the near see-able future. Plus every time I opened the tackle box something in there ended up embedded in my hands somehow. So I quickly learned not to open the little boxes of nasty lures..... Saw the LadyBug box standing on it's side...said to myself that must be for Trout or something....Saw the Delica on the side of the box....wasn't going near that one, I didn't know what the heck it would catch.....but I surely didn't want it to be me.....well anyway I gave away the 1,000's of dollars of fishing equipment to a student of mine who was an avid Fisherman, (needed garage space :cool: ) he was thrilled...I was thrilled!!! Helping him move everything to his car I dropped a tackle box onto the concrete garage floor :eek: and the box latch broke and hooks and lures and things burst out all over the floor, and the lady bug knife pushed it's way out of it's box.. :eek: :eek: :eek: ...I said "Hey wait a minute that's a Spyderco and picked it up, then I saw for the first time the Spyderco Logo on the Delica Box, which I quickly snatched up and told my student "everything else is yours but I'm keeping these. :eek: " What!! :eek: :eek: two knives never used!! in my father's tackle box???? :confused: , something was very wrong here :confused: ....lol....Then I remembered, those were the knives "that were too special and well made to use" ....I carried that Delica daily for many years and the Red Lady Bug was always inside the watch pocket of my jeans. I gave my son his grandfather's knife to take to college from there is went on to graduate school and finally Law School...It came in very handy.... My Son one day while looking at a black Delica protruding from my pocket says "Dad, I wear dark suits and your knife is black, not like this blue one...want to trade" :( ......OOOOoook Surrrrr. :( My black Delica was fairly new and my son still uses it to this day... but I was secretly glad :D to have my pop's blue knife back. At one time I had over 440 Spyderco knives, some of spyderco's most magnificent knives!....but finances forced me to sell most of that collection, remaining was the Red Lady Bug (which made it's way into my wife's knife collection, I see her using it to cut out labels and elastic from the top of socks, and threads and stuff, It brings a smile to my face:) That Old School FRN Blue Delica, My own Black FRN Lady Bug and the last of my Ronin's is all that remains.....now the Delica is gone....from that short list....Don't feel bad...It's my fault :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: Like people even knives have stories....Some just a little more special than others .....Doc:)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Sorry Double Post