Popular Spyders For the H-1 Salt Series?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spambait11

Re: Popular Spyders For the H-1 Salt Series?

Post by spambait11 »

I would still like to see a Salt knife with a Nilakka or Memory blade shape. Back lock and FRN handle is fine. Blade length 2.75" or more, but total knife weight at 1.5oz or less. Thin spine for great slicing ability; white FRN to allow customers to custom dye their handles.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MarcusH wrote:I always thought that a FB11 Kumo with a H-1 blade would make a very nice Sprint Run.
Hey "MARCUS" great to hear from you my friend :) >> the FB11 KUMO model in H-1? Not a bad idea at all. Because the KUMO was one of Spyderco's nicely done models that just didn't sell well at the box office for whatever reason. Myself I just didn't like the corded handle>> I had always would have liked to seen that model in a Micarta handle similar to the fixed blade LUM.

But what an excellent idea to take a well designed model like the KUMO and give it a second chance in the H-1 Salt Series. But I wouldn't want that original handle and I doubt if many others would either. If they won't give us a TEMPERANCE 1 model in the Salt Series then maybe the KUMO just might be a great alternative. A high end Japanese blade design for use in harsh environments :cool: I've also always thought that the VAGABOND model with a better sheath system and much better blade steel would have also done much better on the sales charts than the original VAGABOND did.
BTG

Post by BTG »

I would love to see a Salt Stretch..would fit right in...delica-salt1...endura-pacific salt..Stretch-Stretch salt, just leave blade shape as is....plus we have D2 salts..ladybug salts...manbug & stretch seem to be in order.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BTG wrote:I would love to see a Salt Stretch..would fit right in...delica-salt1...endura-pacific salt..Stretch-Stretch salt, just leave blade shape as is....plus we have D2 salts..ladybug salts...manbug & stretch seem to be in order.
Personally I'm not a huge fan of the STRETCH model even though I will admit that it's well built. But I will agree from the standpoint that I think they should do at least one premium folder in the H-1 Salt Series. You could take the STRETCH model or any other premium Spyderco folder for that matter with a G-10 or Micarta or Titanium handle to spice up the Salt Series. I still think the C-60 Ayoob with a yellow G-10 handle would really fit in with the Salt Series.

I'm still holding out hope that someday we'll see the resurrection of the SUPERHAWK, hawkbill model offered in the Salt Series with either an H-1 blade or LC200N blade>> also offered up in PE & SE both. Because the SUPERHAWK was never offered up in Spyderedge when it was in the main line up :confused: Therefore giving it a second chance in the Salt Series just makes excellent marketing sense>> in pretty much the same way a premium built standard folder would IMO.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

BTG wrote:I would love to see a Salt Stretch..would fit right in...delica-salt1...endura-pacific salt..Stretch-Stretch salt, just leave blade shape as is....plus we have D2 salts..ladybug salts...manbug & stretch seem to be in order.
Given that the Stretch was designed as a folding skinner and already exists in frn, I've always found it a bit odd that it wasn't included in the Salt line. At this point though, I would rather see them wait until they have the frn molds for the new Stretch 2 to do that.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MarcusH wrote:I always thought that a FB11 Kumo with a H-1 blade would make a very nice Sprint Run.
Marcus I do agree with you again on the KUMO model being an ideal candidate for a Sprint Run albeit for the H-1 Salt Series. But I wouldn't stop there in the fixed blade category>> There are at least 4 of the past/present Spyderco fixed blade models that I do believe would be a great boost for the H-1 Salt Series. I've often wondered what the STREETBEAT model would be like in H-1 and also offered up in Spyderedge as well.

Again my top pick for the H-1 Salt Series in the fixed blade line up is certainly the FB05 Temperance 1 model in PE & SE both. The VAGABOND in PE & SE in H-1>> I've often wondered how the original PERRIN model would be like in H-1 offered up in PE & SE?

Also a fixed blade fillet knife in both edges PE & SE both would be apropos as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Surfingringo wrote:
Given that the Stretch was designed as a folding skinner and already exists in frn, I've always found it a bit odd that it wasn't included in the Salt line. At this point though, I would rather see them wait until they have the frn molds for the new Stretch 2 to do that.
But SURF don't you think that a longer bladed folder like a C-36 Military, C-60 Ayoob, C-54 Calypso, or any knife in those size ranges would fill a void in the H-1 Salt Series? One of the main reasons I want to see the MILITARY done in the H-1 Salt Series is that it might be the only way we will ever see a full Spyderedged version of the MILITARY model again. And please don't get me wrong because I don't have anything against the STRETCH model except that the MILITARY is just a lot more knife for the money IMO.

Other than the H-1 Sprint Catcherman what other blade with that length does the H-1 Salt Series has to offer? >> and it was only a SPRINT run with limited numbers. Another past model to consider for the H-1 Salt Series that I've always loved would be the IMPALA model which was designed for outdoor use. And it also has a longer/better blade for outdoor uses IMO.
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

"Other than the H-1 Sprint Catcherman what other blade with that length does the H-1 Salt Series has to offer? "

Jumpmaster - not a folder but still awesome.
If I remember correctly, there was a thread about modding one specifically for fishing/outdoor use.
I'm totally onboard for stretch, military, pm2, or ayoob salts as well. All of those sound good to me.
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I'd like to see an H-1 Caly 3 SE with bright FRN handle. But more than anything else, I'd love to see the existing Dragonfly Salt SE in high viz toxic green FRN instead of the yellow--could have a black blade, too, like the USN Ladybug Hawkbill.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sabb8pro2 wrote:"Other than the H-1 Sprint Catcherman what other blade with that length does the H-1 Salt Series has to offer? "

Jumpmaster - not a folder but still awesome.
If I remember correctly, there was a thread about modding one specifically for fishing/outdoor use.
I'm totally onboard for stretch, military, pm2, or ayoob salts as well. All of those sound good to me.
Oh I agree that the JUMPMASTER is an awesome blade>> I plan on getting one myself at some point. But it is a fixed blade and in that post I was focusing on large sized folders. And the CATCHERMAN at this point and it being a SPRINT RUN no less is the only one of that size range I know of at this point.

Again for a H-1 full sized folder the C-36 Military model is my top pick at this time and it may be the only way we would ever see the MILITARY model again in Spyderedge.

As far as fixed blades go I listed a few already that I thought would be ideal for the SALT SERIES. I just loved the original TEMPERANCE 1 model in full Spyderedge so much when it was offered up in VG-10. It would be a perfect outdoor fixed blade in the Salt Series IMO.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
But SURF don't you think that a longer bladed folder like a C-36 Military, C-60 Ayoob, C-54 Calypso, or any knife in those size ranges would fill a void in the H-1 Salt Series? One of the main reasons I want to see the MILITARY done in the H-1 Salt Series is that it might be the only way we will ever see a full Spyderedged version of the MILITARY model again. And please don't get me wrong because I don't have anything against the STRETCH model except that the MILITARY is just a lot more knife for the money IMO.

Other than the H-1 Sprint Catcherman what other blade with that length does the H-1 Salt Series has to offer? >> and it was only a SPRINT run with limited numbers. Another past model to consider for the H-1 Salt Series that I've always loved would be the IMPALA model which was designed for outdoor use. And it also has a longer/better blade for outdoor uses IMO.
Yes JD, for my own uses, I would prefer a salt folder with a slightly longer blade like the Military (Though I must say that tip up carry is a big deal to me carrying IWB on my kayak). My point about the Stretch was simply that I find it surprising that it hasn't already been added to the Salt line. It is an existing and popular model, the design and frn molds are already there and it is a knife that was designed after a hunter. Seems like it would have made a pretty natural fit for the Salt line.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The problem with the Stretch is that there was never a linerless barrel bolt version like the Delica and Endura. It was popular enough to get discontinued so am not sure about that part. Anywho, I would buy a Stetch Salt in a split second. Can I get mine with a yellow handle and black blade?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hmmm, you are correct sir.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey I completely appreciate and to a large degree do not oppose your desires for the STRETCH and other models to be considered for the H-1 Salt Series>> And I can certainly appreciate SURF needing a "tip up carry" folder. But certainly I would think spyderco could remedy that with the Military model.

But now this brings me back to the C-60 Ayoob model to be considered again>> the G-10 Sprint version I believe could easily be modified for a tip up or tip down carry. Because whether it be the Military, AYOOB or STRETCH or whatever model could be added to the H-1 Salt Series I want to see one done with a yellow or black G-10 handle. I have nothing particularly against FRN and I own quite a few Spyders with FRN handles but I've always had a lot more confidence in G-10 or Micarta handles. I have no fear that FRN would ever break or fail me but G-10 and Micarta handles just feel a lot more secure and I just flat out have more confidence in those handles.

Now I wouldn't at all be opposed to a Titanium handle>> because of all the folder handles with bare metal I've ever owned the two I like best are "aircraft grade anodized aluminum" or "Titanium". Titanium even feels grippy to me when it's even wet whether it's anodized or just bare metal>> whereas I sure can't say that about stainless handles unfortunately >> and stainless is just too heavy anyway.
ChuckDiesel

Post by ChuckDiesel »

Manix 2. Probably my favorite model. Would love to have an H1 version.

A yellow H1 Millie would be sweet too.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Native and Catcherman in H1

I'd prefer the Military with a flat grind and liner lock so H1 is out on that one imho. There are other nitrogen based steel options so I'd prefer that on the Millie
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

After cleaning rust off my cheap set of "stainless Steak knives" I was thinking a nice set of Steak knives in H1 would be really cool. Not a popular model but H1 is certainly tough and dishwasher safe.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Caly jr.with a high hollow grind( a la Dfly Salt)
Ranger393

Post by Ranger393 »

ChuckDiesel wrote:Manix 2. Probably my favorite model. Would love to have an H1 version.

A yellow H1 Millie would be sweet too.
+1 to this! Not sure how that Manix CBB lock would work in a salt but hey,, figuring that out is not my problem,, dreaming about a cool Manix2 Salt is!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

NoFair wrote:Native and Catcherman in H1

I'd prefer the Military with a flat grind and liner lock so H1 is out on that one imho. There are other nitrogen based steel options so I'd prefer that on the Millie
Well "NO FAIR" I really like your selection of the NATIVE & CATCHERMAN models for the H-1 Salt series. Mainly because those are two of my all time favorite "user" knives. I find the Native in SE to be a pitbull of a folder and I also find the CATCHERMAN (especially in full SE) to be one of the most versatile knives I've ever used>> there are so many applications in which you can use the Catcherman>> it's not just a fillet knife it's much more than that I can assure any of you. And the Catcherman in full SE is one of the very best kitchen knives I've ever used.

Yeah I'll go along with the NATIVE & CATCHERMAN as long as they would offer them in SE & PE both.