It was bound to happen eventually

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

It was bound to happen eventually

Post by Evil D »

Finally chipped the tip on a Yojimbo 2. After all these years of carrying and using one, this is a first. I don't even know how or when it happened, I just picked it up the other day and saw it. I think it may have been when I had it out taking pics of it with my Glock.

As crazy as it sounds I don't even mind that this happened, because that little bit can very easily be brought back down from the spine and it'll make the tip just a bit thicker and a bit tougher, and it only lost about 1/32 of an inch or so.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Re: It was bound to happen eventually

Post by farnorthdan »

Bummer D...looks like the Nilakka my boy torpedo'd into the hardwood floor. You have a good fixed system and a diamond stone or two for repairs? How do plan or repairing it?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:Bummer D...looks like the Nilakka my boy torpedo'd into the hardwood floor. You have a good fixed system and a diamond stone or two for repairs? How do plan or repairing it?
Piece of cake. 160 grit diamond lapping plate and just hone the spine until it comes to a point again. I did cheat a little and use my Dremel, but it started to develop a slight downward curve to the spine so I finished it off by and on the diamond plate and then by hand on my 220 Shapton glass tone and then on some 320 sandpaper.

Like it never happened.
~David
swigert

Post by swigert »

That's a CF sprint huh? How many backups do you have?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

swigert wrote:That's a CF sprint huh? How many backups do you have?
Just one of the S90V version but I have my S30V sitting in a box minus screws (took them out for a watch of all things).
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Evil D wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:Bummer D...looks like the Nilakka my boy torpedo'd into the hardwood floor. You have a good fixed system and a diamond stone or two for repairs? How do plan or repairing it?
Piece of cake. 160 grit diamond lapping plate and just hone the spine until it comes to a point again. I did cheat a little and use my Dremel, but it started to develop a slight downward curve to the spine so I finished it off by and on the diamond plate and then by hand on my 220 Shapton glass tone and then on some 320 sandpaper.

Like it never happened.
Awesome D, that looks fantastic, heck maybe I should send you that Nilakka to work on, yours looks alot better than my fix :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice fix. Weird that you didn't notice it happening.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Which blade steel did that happen to? Because I've had chipping problems with S30V in the past which is why I don't like that steel much anymore. I had heard some of the guys over at Bladeforums who lived in colder climates like Canada and so forth complain in the past that S30V had chipping problem>> but I always thought it was due to the cold conditions.

However any knife with a well defined point to it is probably subject to the tip breaking. I see it all the time at garage sales, flea markets ect>> they will have a really nice old BUCK, CAMILLUS or SCHRADE folder from the past but when you open it up the blade tip is snapped off :eek:

It's nothing short of a miracle that I carried my BM Boguszewski Spike which has an "ice Pick" type tip on it and in 18 years I never snapped it off. You always want to be careful to use a knife for nothing but what it's intended to be used for. It really ticks me off when here at work I'll see one of the ladies using one of the kitchen knives for a screwdriver :mad: or for some other job where you know they are going to destroy the blade :rolleyes:
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Evil D wrote:

Like it never happened.
Nice job on the repair D. Very professionally done and looks great. You are right, looks like it never happened. :)

dave
Last edited by El Gato on Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Nice recovery. That which does not kill us makes us stronger (and pointier).

Stay safe,

Mike
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:Nice fix. Weird that you didn't notice it happening.
It had to happen between these two pics, because it's fine with the Glock but chipped with the rifle.

~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:
Awesome D, that looks fantastic, heck maybe I should send you that Nilakka to work on, yours looks alot better than my fix :D
Man it really has me concerned about the Nilakka now, the tip on that has half as thick as the Yojimbo was.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Good job D! I agree that it was bound to happen but at least it is a super easy blade shape to repair. I am sure nobody would be able to tell by looking at it. I had to do a similar repair to one of my Para2s when I dropped it on asphalt and it sprung open. I also had to do it to my Kiwi4 when I tried to do a little light drilling with the tip. I actually do a little light grinding like that everytime I reprofile just to bring the tip back.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah, I think the tip is sharper now than it was before the chip.
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Can you imagine if you broke the tip off a des horn?! Lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Excellent recovery there Evil! You're going to continue to mod this bad boy whether you want to or not! ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Can you imagine if you broke the tip off a des horn?! Lol
Yikes...I think I could fix it, but I bet one good drop is going to snap off a lot of metal.
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Excellent recovery there Evil! You're going to continue to mod this bad boy whether you want to or not! ;)
Yeah, it seems to be evolving whether I want it to or not :p

I did just pull out my backup Yo 2 and compare the lengths, it's not much at all, maybe 1/16 total between reprofiling and sharpening and the chip. The spine is pretty much dead straight with the other, but if you hold it up to your eye and look down the spine you can see a tiny bit of curve to it. I think doing it by hand it's always going to have that little bit of curve just from not being able to hold it perfectly parallel with the stone. If I had a belt sander I could make it perfectly straight, but eh. No big deal.

On another note, I was shocked to see how much grip my peel ply has lost compared to the backup. I actually haven't carried this knife all that much because I've had some other knives since buying them that took up pocket time, but the grip has definitely worn off some. It's still plenty grippy but noticeably less tacky.
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nice fix-up job, D. Looks brand-new!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dcfis

Post by dcfis »

Incredible work!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Nice work!
My Yojimbo2 S30V chipped the tip nearly the same but on an angle inward.

I know what you mean about peel ply smoothing out and not fully realizing it until you handle a new one. Noticed this on PM2's...
Going back to Caly.